2002 Sportsman 500 ho - overheating

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

polariseddie
Wears Teal Eddie Bauer clothes

2002 Sportsman 500 ho - overheating

Postby polariseddie » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:35 am

Hello everyone.

I have an overheating problem. I started by replacing the temp sensor in the bottom of the radiator. No luck. I brought it to the dealer and $450 later I am still overheating. they Replaced the thermostat, cap, filler neck, and water pump gasket, and cleaned and flushed the radiator. The radiator has been completely removed and cleaned. all hoses have been removed and flushed.

What I noticed was the machine would rock crawl and play in the mud all day long, but once I opened it up to 30 mph it would overheat instantly. I research this after giving up on the dealer and found that a spark plug could cause it. I then replaced the plug and filled everything and went for a ride. I buzzed around at 40 mph for 1 hour with no problems. Once I started up a trail with some rugged terrain it again overheated on me. So now the problem seems to be the slower strenuous trips.

I am flat out of ideas. Any possible help would greatly be appreciated.

Eddie

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:07 am

How did the spark plug look? Very Tan. Running to lean maybe.
Does your fan seem to be running at full speed?
Coolant mix right? To much coolant vs water mix will change the heat transfer of the cooling system.
The shop said they cleaned the radiator.(was this the inside?) You may want to try cleaning it your self the outside, no pressure washer just garden hose in the front and in the back and repeat. You can get mud way up in the fins and it still can look clean. With the motor cool flush out the fins.
Oh yea Welcome polariseddie
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:38 am

First off, I'd get my $450. dollars back...... :roll:
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:55 am

Chadd heard of this one before?

No....not the Dealer ripping off for $450 part....the Overheating part. ;)
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:14 am

Does the fan kick on? let it idle and get hot and see if the fan comes on... like terry said get your $450 back first.. I have never changed a any of the parts listed above. Sounds like the sending unit for the fan is bad. You can also try wiring the fan directly to the battery to make sure the fan works.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

polariseddie
Wears Teal Eddie Bauer clothes

Postby polariseddie » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:44 am

Thanks for all the responses.

The fan did come on during my first test run. So I decided to take it on a longer run. I ran for an hour with no problems. Then it overheated, and I noticed the fan was not running.

I have been dealing with this for just about a year now. I have tried hard wiring the fan, same result. I have cleaned the radiator, inside and out thoroughly. The Fluids have all been checked and are on par.

thru research and just plain brainstorming, we have come up with 2 possiblities. As far as I can recall, the day it started, I had just chewed up a belt driving thru 12" of fresh snow. I changed it on the trail and then 10 minutes later it overheated on me. So I am thinking it was a defective belt. My repair manual says that brake and transmission drag can cause overheating.

My cousin seems to think the supply hose is soft and collasping causing no flow. this would explain the fan not coming on (no hot water getting to the fan sensor, which has been tested and replaced).

Do you guys think either of these hold water? Thanks again.

Eddie

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:20 am

polariseddie wrote:My cousin seems to think the supply hose is soft and collasping causing no flow. this would explain the fan not coming on (no hot water getting to the fan sensor, which has been tested and replaced).
Eddie
Haven't seen a hose collapse but, you my want to find a spring that will fit over the hose and see if this stops it.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:41 am

Water in your oil? Blown head gasket?
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Joey2
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Joey2 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:16 pm

Hey Polariseddie,

I see that you found the site.

I feel confident that someone here will figure this out, these guys are good. Better than the other site I think.
2005 SPORTSMAN 500 HO
Warn Winch / Glacier Plow System
Need ground clearence? Need better grip from your factory tires? Need a locking front axle?
"You need a POLARIS!"