Blacktail/Wild Bill OHV Ride

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

montana.matt
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Blacktail/Wild Bill OHV Ride

Postby montana.matt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:11 pm

Since this is my first post here on this forum, I'll post up some pics of a ride me, my wife and some friends went on this past Saturday. We rode the Blacktail/Wild Bill National OHV Trail here in Lakeside, MT. The trail system itself isn't very long, maybe about 15 miles at the most, but the rocky and rough condition of the trail keeps your speed quite low (15 mph, but slower most of the time). It has several obstacles along the trail including tank traps, logs, etc. It also has bypasses for each obstacle in the event you don't want to try it.

The Wild Bill is really designed for full size 4X4's such as Jeeps, but it's also quite fun for ATV's and probably UTV's. I got hung up on one log obstacle, because I still have my snowplow mount on my ATV, so my buddy pulled me out with his Arctic Cat.

Oh, I own a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 and I bought my wife a new 2010 Sportsman 550 XP EPS last fall. She had a 2004 Sportsman 500 before that.

Well, onto the pics. Hope you enjoy them 8)

We made a rest stop at the top of Blacktail Mtn (6660'). This is looking east toward the Mission Mtn. range and Glacier National Park

This is where I got hung up on that damn log :lol:

Of course we packed a couple coolers, a BBQ a roll up table and chairs and had a picnic lunch out in the sticks. We had my .44 magnum handy since we were in the middle of Black and Grizzly bear country and there were plenty of huckleberries and good burgers and hot dogs around :lol:

This was shortly after my buddy (on the silver Arctic Cat) rolled his machine on its side. We were debating making a near vertical climb with all the stuff we were packing on the back of our ATV's. We decided to do it and no problems.
2005 Polaris Sportsman 800

blm510
Is tracking a shipment right now

Re: Blacktail/Wild Bill OHV Ride

Postby blm510 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Welcome

just to inform you you might get a hard time for bringing more stuff tham I do but it is just in fun :D Great pics

thanks for shairing

Blm510

montana.matt

Postby montana.matt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:54 pm

blm510 wrote:Welcome

just to inform you you might get a hard time for bringing more stuff tham I do but it is just in fun :D Great pics

thanks for shairing

Blm510
(I can dish it as well as take it, too :lol: )

fishingdog66

Postby fishingdog66 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:15 pm

Looks like you all had a good time you pack stuff like I do.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

montana.matt

Postby montana.matt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:53 pm

fishingdog66 wrote:Looks like you all had a good time you pack stuff like I do.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
I don't pack things I don't plan on using. :mrgreen: This trip was a little different than normal. Ususally we just pack a couple sandwiches and sodas and eat them somewhere on the trail. We don't usually pack a BBQ and huge cooler :lol:

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby EigerMike » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:52 pm

great pics and wellcome aboard! :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

hellcat650
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby hellcat650 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 am

I think you guys have the atv catering thing down. :D
Tell your frind nice AC TRV.
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

montana.matt

Postby montana.matt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks guys :wink:
Oh, and hellcat, we do have the catering thing down. No reason we can't 100% enjoy our time on the trail :lol:

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Nice ride - thanks for pix from Big Sky country. Keep em' coming!!
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:38 pm

hellcat650 wrote:I think you guys have the atv catering thing down. :D
Ha!

Thanks Matt...looking forward to Montana pictures. If you haven't figured it out...this site originally started because I took a bunch of pictures of our rides...and nobody else could see them unless they came over my house.

So we really like ride sharing photos....it's the cornerstone of our site.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

montana.matt

Postby montana.matt » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Ken wrote:
hellcat650 wrote:I think you guys have the atv catering thing down. :D
Ha!

Thanks Matt...looking forward to Montana pictures. If you haven't figured it out...this site originally started because I took a bunch of pictures of our rides...and nobody else could see them unless they came over my house.

So we really like ride sharing photos....it's the cornerstone of our site.
It's kinda funny, I grew up in northern CA but didn't really get into offroading until I moved up here. I actually have quite a few 8mm reels of my mom and dad riding in my uncles Jeep on the Rubicon. He was a member of the Auburn Jeep Club back in the 60's. Someday, we'll haul the ATV's down there and see the Rubicon before the tree huggers take it away from us :roll:
We planned on going for a ride today, but I woke up with a damn cold and feel like crap. So, maybe next weekend...

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:12 am

Man, that is some beautiful country, Matt! Please keep posting your ride stories. Montana makes me drool. You don't need to buy a trailer, just ride your ATV down the highway to wherever you want to go. :)

There's a guy out here working on a 'grand scheme' with your legislature to try and create a way for anyone in all states to carry concealed handguns anywhere in the U.S., bypassing all of the laws in idiotic states and places like CA and DC that won't let you. He's also hoping it will allow us to go to Montana and buy handguns that our idiotic state won't let us buy here. Check it out if you're interested:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... ost4952278

Montana: the best state in the union! \:D/
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

montana.matt

Postby montana.matt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:01 pm

GrizzlyGuy wrote:Man, that is some beautiful country, Matt! Please keep posting your ride stories. Montana makes me drool. You don't need to buy a trailer, just ride your ATV down the highway to wherever you want to go. :)

There's a guy out here working on a 'grand scheme' with your legislature to try and create a way for anyone in all states to carry concealed handguns anywhere in the U.S., bypassing all of the laws in idiotic states and places like CA and DC that won't let you. He's also hoping it will allow us to go to Montana and buy handguns that our idiotic state won't let us buy here. Check it out if you're interested:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... ost4952278

Montana: the best state in the union! \:D/
Thanks GrizzlyGuy! I do feel fortunate to live where I do, especially after coming up here from California. Don't get me wrong, I was born and raised in CA and will return there one day, but things are definitely less hectic up here. It's pretty much true about riding wherever you want. We ride to town quite a bit and can access some of the better trails from right here at home. As far as guns go, I'd like to see a nationwide permit system put in place, where people would still need some type of certification to carry a gun concealed. I'll check out the link you provided, once I submit this post :wink: Most of us don't get too concerned when it comes to carrying while riding. We do what we have to do to protect ourselves and it's my belief that you wont get into trouble as long you have a good attitude if you're confronted by Game Wardens or Forest Service law enforcement. While I've never come face to face with a Grizzly, I have come close enough to Black Bears and Mountain Lions to be glad I've had some sort of protection with me.

Anyway, we're leaving here on Friday morning to go to Wallace, ID where we're going on an "End of Summer" ride with a bunch of our friends. We'll be riding the old Milwaukee Road "Hiawatha Route" from Wallace to the Silver Dollar bar in Haugan, MT, a distance of about 120 miles round trip (I think). Hope to get some good pics and if I do, I'll start a new thread for that and post 'em up :mrgreen:

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Boy, would I love to ride the old Milwaukee Road! That will be cool - I second the request for pix from that one!!

We're all emigrants, where in CA did you move from? Montana is showing up frequently on the short list for retirement places for me!
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

montana.matt

Postby montana.matt » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:07 pm

hemingray wrote:Boy, would I love to ride the old Milwaukee Road! That will be cool - I second the request for pix from that one!!

We're all emigrants, where in CA did you move from? Montana is showing up frequently on the short list for retirement places for me!
East Bay Area, Alamo to be exact. My family has lived there for over 100 years and that's where I'll end up at when I inherit the family home one of these days.
Montana isn't bad... Living in Applegate, you have some experience with the hassles associated with winter time :lol: The -20 to -30 winter temps take a little getting used to, though #-o
I have a few pics from a ride we did up there last year... It's pretty cool to be able to ride through old railroad tunnels

The pics aren't from the ride we're planning on this weekend, but they are from the Wallace area.
Here's a link if you want to see them: http://s404.photobucket.com/albums/pp12 ... 09%20Ride/
These pics were from a ride that was organized by another ATV forum I belong to.