Miyagi Weekend - Friday

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Miyagi Weekend - Friday

Postby hemingray » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Went to Friday's Miyagi ride, here are a few pictures. I'm sure there will be more - I hope Jack puts some up of the ride down Fordyce. I don't have skid plates etc. so at the first big downward pitch I was done on that trail! :-)

The guys headed down - and it was fun to have an SLR instead of my usual snappy camera. I may get addicted to the better picture quality.

Ken leads the pack down

RobG and I headed up to White Rock Lake and crossed this water feature.

Arriving at White Rock Lake, we found the lake is sometimes lower - but this is a good reminder to Drown Your Campfire!

White Rock Lake is a very scenic site - another place with so many picture possibilities. The cloudy day brought out some great views.

Mt. Lola overlooks the lake.

Rode back to Meadow Lake and spent some time chatting. I was pleased to meet Terry's brother Dave. I didn't know Terry but have enjoyed hearing the stories and seeing the pictures and videos with him in them. I lost my best friend about the same time at a similarly young age, so I can totally relate to the loss that Terry's friends and Dave had. It's neat to have this annual ride in his memory. I hope to be able to camp next year too.

Anyway, I departed the lake near sunset and snapped a few pix on the way out.

Last edited by hemingray on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

SWEET

Postby Kodiak » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:36 pm

that looks like soo much fun rock on good pics of the lakes too
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

auendave
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby auendave » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:51 pm

great pics, I also want to make this ride maybe next year will be the one.

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:26 pm

great pics! looks like another great ride. :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

traildad

Postby traildad » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Nice photos. What kind of camera? White Rock Lake is a great place to camp and take pictures. I had to forgo the Miyagi ride because I have a camp trip planned at White Rock Lake in two weeks. I would love to go there when there is snow on the ground.
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks! Those were taken with my Olympus E-500.

As you can see, the lake is looking great and seems pretty high for this late in the season. What a great place to camp!

Dave

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wildhorse800

Postby Wildhorse800 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:31 am

Definitely see a difference in the quality. Just flat out beautiful pics and scenery. :)
2008 Polaris SP800 HO
1999 Polaris SP500
2008 Suzuki M-50
1988 Honda VLX 600

I've been told I joke around too much.
So one day I tried being serious.
Everybody laughed!

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:34 am

Great pictures.

Before we went riding on Saturday morning I felt a clunking sound in my front in and I knew something wasnt right. I quickly figured out I broke out the front shock mount. I have done it before so I wasnt to surprised when it happened to the left side this time.

Note the little hole missing. I wonder where that went?

KI6MLH

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:07 am

Awesome photos! Were those touched-up, or is that how they came out of the camera? Wish my Fuji-Cam (10mp) would provide that vivid color!
2013 Sportsman XP 850 (Browning Edition) FI/EPS/LE
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i

Rider has ferocious attitude!

My blog site: http://utahbruteforce.com

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:58 pm

BruteForce wrote:Awesome photos! Were those touched-up, or is that how they came out of the camera? Wish my Fuji-Cam (10mp) would provide that vivid color!
Thanks! I love my Olys.

The pix are not touched up. A lot of that is what is known as "Olympus blue" - the colors tend to be somewhat vivid. On that particular camera it's a bit hard to see the results on the screen, but I see afterwards that the reflections came out nicely and the sky was a little washed out. The high contrast fools the camera a bit. However, that lake does really look vivid like that - the trees are still very green and all, being at the higher altitude and near the lake.

BTW - in case you're into the gory details, the sensor in that particular camera is a Kodak CCD device, reputed to be one of the best of its kind (it's 8MP). Later Oly dSLRs are Live MOS devices (I've heard they are made by Panasonic) and don't have quite the saturation but are needed to support live view. I was worried, but didn't need to be - my E-30 is capable of the same sort of nice color - but it's not allowed to come out and play in the dirt! ;-)

FWIW - my snappy camera (what I usually use when out riding) is a Canon SD950. I wasn't happy with the image quality on the compact Olys and went with a Canon and am pretty pleased with it, but it doesn't have the depth that the dSLRs have with the much better lenses.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:21 pm

ATV'er wrote:Great pictures.

Before we went riding on Saturday morning I felt a clunking sound in my front in and I knew something wasnt right. I quickly figured out I broke out the front shock mount. I have done it before so I wasnt to surprised when it happened to the left side this time.

Note the little hole missing. I wonder where that went?

Scott I would go with a big fender washer with the right center hole size and weld that on top or up in the inside after welding all the cracks up, because after welding it will crack next to the repair weld.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:52 pm

That pretty much what I did last time and I started doing today. I also got a piece of metal to wrap around the outside of the shock mount to help hold it together. I've had good luck so far to the first one I did that to.
KI6MLH

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:06 am

hemingray wrote: The pix are not touched up. A lot of that is what is known as "Olympus blue" - the colors tend to be somewhat vivid. On that particular camera it's a bit hard to see the results on the screen, but I see afterwards that the reflections came out nicely and the sky was a little washed out. The high contrast fools the camera a bit. However, that lake does really look vivid like that - the trees are still very green and all, being at the higher altitude and near the lake.
Dang, I need a new camera. Your photos are stunning as usual. I really like the contrast and saturation. Good composition too, it's obvious that the operator plays a big part in getting shots that nice.
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:59 am

I don't know about the operator part. One thing about that camera is a small viewfinder and it makes it hard to get the horizon right sometimes like when there's a compex shoreline. It irritates me. I'm working on a better bag to be able to bring the E-30 along some time. Of course, the weather that day helped a lot....

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

traildad

Postby traildad » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:21 pm

hemingray wrote:I don't know about the operator part. One thing about that camera is a small viewfinder and it makes it hard to get the horizon right sometimes like when there's a compex shoreline. It irritates me. I'm working on a better bag to be able to bring the E-30 along some time. Of course, the weather that day helped a lot....
On my Canon A720 I turned on a grid in the view screen. It helps to keep the horizon level. Photoshop fixes the problem pretty well also.
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"