Polaris ATV Tracks - First Ride Review

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

Polaris ATV Tracks - First Ride Review

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:19 am

Well...I pondered...is this ATV tires? Or Gear and Gizmos. I finally decided, it's a gizmo.

I first bought the tracks back in early January. I finally was able to make it out....mostly because it was the first time it snowed in a while. I wanted some powder for my first test.

My test? Drive down Rattlesnake Road...ok..not too hard...can be done with tires. Then...do what could NEVER be done with tires.....drive up Signal Peak using the access road.

Since I was alone....nothing stupid (kendo...insert comment here..LOL). I had cell service, I had a plan...I told the Cisco store where I was going...and Kendo knew. I wasn't going to end up a Popsicle.

Driving down Rattlesnake was a piece of cake. Could have been done with tires. Since there was only about 5" of snow, I could feel every rock...the tracks definitely aren't as soft as tires...but not a surprise there. Steering was easy.....I would say it wasn't that much different than a tire...I don't think you could close your eyes and tell the difference.

Once I got to the Signal Peak turn off...it got interesting fast....suddenly there were drifts...the road got harder to see. I was able to easily climb to about the 7500 foot level. By then....snow was 4-5 feet deep with powder that I could stand in up to my mid-shin. Yet...the tracks...sunk into the snow about 1 1/2 to 2" max.

Near the top...I gave up. The last 300-500 feet was near the end of the mountain....I climbed up off the road....it was VERY steep...it struggled...but it went up. Visibility was poor....and being alone...I felt I proved my goal.

So I turned around....and now with confidence...I went off trail....and played in the deep drifts....driving in and around trees. I went up some very steep...but short hills. Having 800cc was beneficial. I liken it to a little like sand....power is king.

It floats great...I had several times where it was just floating in the power.

They obviously aren't cheap....so they aren't for everyone. Are they like a snowmobile? No.....you definitely won't be in Sled Heads 5. Could you cruise to Spider Lake? I don't see any issues. It's great for trail riding....take Jackson Meadows to Gold Lake or Meadow Lake....Cruise on the fire roads around Meadow.....cruise on Foresthill Rd to French Meadows? All....would be a BLAST. Snow camping...you bet.

For me....I finally decided that my investment is with my ATV. With the winter closures coming to ALL the forests by 2010 (Currently El Dorado is closed to Wheeled recreation from Jan 1 to March 31), this was my best solution to go for a snow ride.

Here's some pics...more on the photo page.

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:05 am

Starting to look like most of us that wish to start riding in the winter will have to look seriously at getting a set of these things.

I don't think the power issue will be a problem for most of us having 500s or better.

I'm only hoping over time they become cheaper as they are on the market longer.
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:11 am

Here's the video I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bya5sLrhaiw

It's HD....so there's a link to watch in HD.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:16 am

d2photo wrote:Starting to look like most of us that wish to start riding in the winter will have to look seriously at getting a set of these things.

I don't think the power issue will be a problem for most of us having 500s or better.

I'm only hoping over time they become cheaper as they are on the market longer.

Used....The Tatou's on Rocky Mountain...are about $3500 with free shipping. You can knock about $1000 off for used.

They actually have come down in price. In 2003...jack and I got a video from Mattracks. They were the only game in town...and they were $5000. Since 2003, they've improved in design..and dropped $1500. Not bad.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:20 am

Do the winter closures affect the quads with tracks - do the tracks translate to "over the snow" vehicles??

Man blows $3k on tracks but can't replace a freakin headlight.. :roll:
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:20 am

7718.1, paragraph 1--Clarified that over-snow vehicle use may be
prohibited or restricted pursuant to orders issued under 36 CFR part
261, subpart B, and that wheeled motor vehicles that are modified with
tracks and/or skis meet the definition of ``over-snow vehicle.''

Over-Snow Vehicle - A motor vehicle designed for use over snow that runs on a track or tracks and/or a ski or skis while in use over snow.

What that means is...in areas where over the snow vehicles..aka snowmobiles are banned, like Desolation Wilderness....ATV's with tracks are banned too.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:27 am

d2photo wrote:Man blows $3k on tracks but can't replace a freakin headlight.. :roll:

Yeah yeah. The deal is....I wasn't going to buy tracks this year....I really wasn't....but Kendo found a used set on craigslist....demos from Auburn Powersports (which I later found out)...used once at china wall...with a brand new box of mounting hardware for a LOT less than new. I couldn't pass it up.

As for the headlight...it's more complicated than just a headlight. The whole plastic mount is broken from MM4. So the headlight wouldn't stay in. My box lid is broken from Miyagi 2....and my radiator is semi-crushed from another unknown exploit.

All toll...it's about $1000 just to fix...one headlight. So I have the radiator, I bought 2 new heavy duty springs for the front. I have to get the front nose, and 2 new headlights.....then I'm going to replace essentially the whole front end in one shot.

So I've been slowly acquiring the parts to do it.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:17 am

"All toll...it's about $1000 just to fix...one headlight. So I have the radiator, I bought 2 new heavy duty springs for the front. I have to get the front nose, and 2 new headlights.....then I'm going to replace essentially the whole front end in one shot. "
$1000 would make a nice down payment on a new 850 :wink:
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 pm

With all these awesome pictures and videos Ken isnt making it any easyer on me, I want to buy some next fall.

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Ken wrote:All toll...it's about $1000 just to fix...one headlight.

Hmm - after a few more trips, I can imagine the future craigslist ad: "lightly used tracks - $2500, comes with free one-eyed Polaris..."

:lol:

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:11 pm

ha.

Nah...that's Keith, aka Habib.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:38 pm

ken that was AWESOME!!! i want some soo bad now!! hmmm i wonder if Yamaha has a set
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:52 pm

Ken wrote:ha.

Nah...that's Keith, aka Habib.
:accent on: Nah buddy, too much, I give you $1800...
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:02 am

just watched the video looks like alot of fun ken!
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:58 am

Theres another set on Craigslist for 2800 with mounting hardware used once.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.