Clutch wieght swap??

Grizzlies and Wolverines...living together in harmony.

Moderator: hemingray

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Clutch wieght swap??

Postby ACLakey » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:40 pm

I am looking to put (4) 450 weights and (4) 660 weights in my Grizz 700. Most of my riding will be technical trails and rocky areas, top speed and mud are not a priority. I wll be carrying around 300lb of dead weight and gear on the quad. Looking to put 25 or 26" Bighorns on and ride mostly around 4000' in elevation. What do you guys think? Who has done a simmilar mod and what were your seat of the pants results?

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:48 pm

Here is some info I have dug up thus far.

Nyroc

http://www.nyrocatv.com/techtip.cgi?vie ... iewtip=346

Some guys are using Kodiak weights for a cheap clutch kit in the 700 grizzly. I have been told 4 Kodiak rollers is about right on the 700 grizzly, but your results may vary based on your tires and elevation.

Roller Weights
-----------------------
Kodiak 450 12 grams
Grizzly 600 14 grams
Grizzly 660 16 grams
Grizzly 700 18 grams

So, obviously if you do all eight and the total average is what ever the weight is. Example: 8x12 gram weights is still an average 12 grams. Add all the weights and divide by 8 (get a calculator if you can`t do it in your head). So 4 Kodiaks and 4 grizzly 660`s are a average of 14 grams total. 4 Grizzly 600`s and 4 Grizzly 660`s is an average of 15 grams. 4 Grizzly 700 weights and 4 Kodiak weights average 16 grams.

8 Kodiak weights = 12 Grams
8 Grizzly 600 weigths = 14 Grams
4 Kodiak and 4-660 = 14 Grams
4-600 and 4-660 = 15 Grams

The idea behind going lighter is because the RPM`s will need to come up alittle higher to get the weights to push outward for upshifting. So the lighter weight the higher the RPM, which may result in faster takeoff.

Grizzly Central

Yamaha Grizzly 700 Clutch Weight Modification:

This information has been gathered to help others with their Grizzly 700 clutch weight modifications. It is for reference only and gathers information from a number of sources.

Dalton Industries currently sells a kit for $100 on their website, http://www.daltonindustries.com/atv/YamahaClutchKit.htm . It includes 12 clutch weights, (8) 14.7grams and (4) 17grams. The clutch uses (8) weights total.
As a reference, the stock 700 weights are approximately 18.5 grams each. Stock 660 weights are 17g and stock Kodiak 450 weights are 14g. These weights can be found at your dealer for approximately $3-4 each.
Dalton recommends the following weight changes according to application:

Stock tire size but heavier: (4) 14.7g weights and (4) 18.5g weights (132.8g)
26-27” tire (0-4000’ elevation): (4) 14.7g weights and (4) 17g weights (126.8g)
28” tire: (8) 14.7g weights (117.6g)

It also recommends the 28” setup for 26-27” tires at high elevations.

Basically you can get the equivilent of a Dalton clutch kit for around $30 instead of shelling out $100. Worth a look, just hoping there are more people out there who have experience with this.

Rider11x
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Rider11x » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:32 pm

The 700 is supposed to have a overall lower gear ratio than the 660, and it seems as if it does from the time I spent on one. Whenever I hit nasty rock gardens, I drop to low range 4x4 and usually only toggle the diff lock as needed. This does work well, but I have also considered reworking the clutches, but haven't due to the road sections we hit at times, needing 40-50mph for short distances. Also one has to also keep in mind what kind of torque will be being put to the CV's as a broken axle in a remote area is not much fun. :wink:
2006 Grizzly 660 Realtree Hardwoods Camo

www.grizzlyinfo.com

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:07 am

It has been a while, but I FINALLY got the weight swap done. Sense the previous post I decided to go with 26" Mudlites for the time being. I am still carrying around 350lb of dead weight and gear on the quad. Most riding is technical trails with rocks, logs, steeps, sandy areas, hard pack dirt ect. I ride year round so mud and snow are a consideration during certain times of the year.

I put (4) 450 and (4) 660 weights in this afternoon and WOW what a difference!! I am going to take a ride in the morning(hopefully) and give them a good test. It does spool up much quicker and there is absolutely no stall(hesitation) just off idle like with the stock setup. I can get the front end up in high very easily now and in low is just a matter of hitting the throttle. As I have stated, I am a big guy with lots of gear, high altitude and larger tires, if this is too aggressive I will try another setup(I have a good mix of weights to play with). It is very easy to change them out, I took just about an hour from start to finish this go around. I know I can do it much quicker next time. Thanks for all the replies, I hope to have a good write up about the changes soon.

Rider11x
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Rider11x » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:42 am

Can you do a video or two with audio so we can get a good feel for the changes you made and how the quad reacts?
Your machine looks great!
2006 Grizzly 660 Realtree Hardwoods Camo

www.grizzlyinfo.com

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:55 pm

Just for an update, I was FINALLY able to get out and ride this past weekend with my clutch weight setup at (4) 450 and (4) 660. For low and mid range you could not ask for a better combination. In technical situations it engaged very smoothly and revved quicker, giving much better feel and power was delivered on command. Where I feel this setup suffered was on the top end. The quad revved out very quickly and slowly climbed above 45 mph. I was only able to get to 50mph on a grade before I ran out of road. I know it will go faster, but it was revved out in the lower to mid 40mph range. I did encounter some mud and it did very well turning the tires as slowly or quickly as I wanted. Overall it felt as if I lowered the overall gear ration to about half of what it was stock(if this makes sense) Low range was very low and high was somewhere between where low and high was in stock form. If I was interested in nothing but low to mid range performance I would leave this setup alone, however I do a fair bit of mid to high speed travel and am not satisfied. I will be putting (4) 450 and (4) 700 weights in before the next ride.

P.s. The new tires and wheel spacer setup was worth every penny. Great traction and handling was improved throughout the throttle range. I was not able to try any high speed runs as i could not get over 50mph. I did get my wife out for the first time and she may be looking at a new quad ;) At least she had fun!!