Spring Time riding tips?

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Spring Time riding tips?

Postby traildad » Tue May 15, 2007 10:44 pm

As the snow starts to clear in the upper elevations some of the roads will be clear except for the occasional snowdrift. The photo below is from the Tahoe National Forest web site. They warn everyone to stay on the road and not to drive around snowdrifts or mud etc. We went riding in the Stanislaus Forest a couple years back and had this problem. We turned off the pavement and found a nice place to camp. When we went riding we found a snowdrift similar to the one in the photo that we could not get past. We had pavement a mile or so from camp in one direction and a road block the other way. We didn't want to move the camp so we weren't able to do much riding. What kind of tips or tricks do all the experts use when they are trying to get thru this kind of snow and it is just too deep and too soft? How do you deal with the special needs of spring time riding?

05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Wed May 16, 2007 12:31 am

That patch is long but it looks like a lot of road on the right... 1/2 on road 1/2 off and you wont tear anything up on the side and you have a LOT less likely chance of getting stuck.

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Wed May 16, 2007 6:29 am

Full throttle. Hit it at about 55-60 :twisted:
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed May 16, 2007 8:06 am

Keith Strong wrote:Full throttle. Hit it at about 55-60 :twisted:

Not a bad suggestion....but seriously...sometimes you can get through, with repeated attempts.....hit it,...back up.....Hit it....back up. Of course, assuming you are prepared to be stuck.

http://www.atvobsession.com/video/logan.wmv
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Wed May 16, 2007 10:15 am

PIN IT and lean back..
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

traildad

Postby traildad » Wed May 16, 2007 6:10 pm

ToddW wrote:That patch is long but it looks like a lot of road on the right... 1/2 on road 1/2 off and you wont tear anything up on the side and you have a LOT less likely chance of getting stuck.
I know what you mean, but that photo is just an example of course. I suppose I could always get a snow plow for spring riding. :lol:

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Wed May 16, 2007 7:14 pm

If you HAVE no choice... two tow straps together (proprly so you can get them apart) then go in as far as you can at high throttle then try to back out if not an option use tow straps to go back... you basicaly want to make it as less resisitant as possible by going back and forth as suggested before.

Slush is dangerous especially on hills where hidden streams and creeks could be flowing under.. even a 2" lil flow may have eaten away at the snow and there could be 4ft hole and with a quad that = bad.

I've been in some areas where we were on slush and a tire fell through a hole w/snow up to the hood (38" tires), and also attempts to drive in deep melting slush could almost have the same result as driving into a lake instant sinkage!!!

Bring a shovel, tow strap and a friend ;)

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 am

ToddW wrote:Slush is dangerous especially on hills where hidden streams and creeks could be flowing under.. even a 2" lil flow may have eaten away at the snow and there could be 4ft hole and with a quad that = bad.

I've been in some areas where we were on slush and a tire fell through a hole w/snow up to the hood (38" tires), and also attempts to drive in deep melting slush could almost have the same result as driving into a lake instant sinkage!!!

If it's possible...we got a picture....

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

WillRide
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby WillRide » Thu May 17, 2007 4:25 pm

Great photos. Yet another reason to not go riding by yourself.
--Will
'15 RZR S 900 eps (oh yes I did!)
'02 Yamaha Raptor

traildad

Postby traildad » Thu May 17, 2007 8:28 pm

That might be enough of a reason to not "pin it". I would hate to hit that hole with speed. :shock: