2005 Polaris Sportsman - Up Close Look

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

2005 Polaris Sportsman - Up Close Look

Postby Ken » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:41 am

Today I stopped by (again) to Adrenaline Powersports to check out the 2005 700 EFI.

The first 2 700's they received were the Dale Earnhardt Jr. edition. The bright red was awesome!

The first big improvement is the front box under the rack. A nice place to stow stuff like cables, plug kits, etc.

The next improvement, is the rear box. Polaris took the box we all know under the seat and extended that out to the frame. It's a lot bigger than the current box, and it's accessable without pulling off the seat! In order to do that, they had to move the rear lights to the left and right. Notice the Red and White lens. Back up light! Put it in reverse, and you have a nice light.

They didn't stop there. Polaris put a toggle switch on the Pod, in order to turn the white back up lights on demand. The speedo has an electronic fuel gauge to keep you informed.

Finally, the Polaris 700 EFT in 2005 comes standard with 26" tires. Polaris changed the front fender design to give PLENTY of clearance for larger aftermarket tires. Frankly, I think the tires in 2004 were a PR disaster. Polaris commissioned Carlisle to make the PTX, Polaris Terrain Extreme. They have a nice aggressive tread and are a real improvement over Badlands.

I didn't get to ride the quad, but based on the improvements, it's a worthy upgrade for any current Polaris owner or BIG improvement for any Honda Rincon owner...That's for you Dusty!
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:17 pm

That's it!!

Polaris sucks.... I'm buying a Honda.... LOL.

Nice try Dusty...... "NOT".
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:07 pm

Man, that is a really nice looking ride, I would love to see how the whole thing handles in the mountains with the EFI. I know we loose some power with the carbs, but not sure how much. I am sure that I can still keep up though with my rincon. I mean I can still refer you all to the review web site of the head to head competition of the Polaris vs Honda... but do not want to make you all feel to bad.
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Pepe
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Pepe » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:55 pm

And the price $$$ ??? :D

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:37 pm

Listed at $8,099.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:08 am

I hate to admit..
theres no doubt that a Rincon is way faster than my 600 Sportsman..on one of our rides a few months ago a dude had a rincon, granted it was all jetted out/piped and hopped up, he was also using 114 fuel!!! he had that thing in wheelies with no problems AND he was keeping up with the sport quads...(remember we have very smooth flat/FAST trails here!)
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:11 am

Thrash... I was with Dusty one trip and he was on his Honda. I was on my 700 when I passed him like he was standing still. Should have seen the look on his face.... Priceless.

So don't fricken cave in so quick.... It's just a Honda.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:43 pm

did u miss the part where dude had all this hopped up and running 114 fuel mix?
but they have no torque! :D
they suck for mudding quads, don't really see many in the deep stuff, and when u do, they are usually stuck!

gotta love 3.5 wheel drive

(hows that for a recovery?)

on another note, saw one of the Dale Jr. Sportsman's out in Ocala National
Forest this weekend ripping it up!

and speaking of ONF, we had a group ride, 63 people in our group. :) pix l8r
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:21 pm

Some people like to hop their rides up and spend the thousands of $$ to get an extra mph out of them, I prefer to keep it pretty stock and still kick the crap out of most rides. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:37 pm

Dusty's talking again...... lol.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:05 pm

I am the all knowing, pay no attention to the many behind the computer
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:06 pm

lol....

Did your mother have ANY kids that lived..... lol.

When we doing/going for a ride...

8)

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:47 pm

I am ready for when ever. . .Maybe next weekend, we should have some decent snow up there. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:47 am

Jack wants to go next Sat...not sure I can.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:30 am

If anyone is going riding next week (First weekend in Nov) I am game. Would prefer to go riding sunday, but sat will work. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .