STI Tires and Beadlock Wheels

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

STI Tires and Beadlock Wheels

Postby Ken » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Well....if you watched the KOH video...

you know that Auburn Extreme Powersports UTV was riding on the new STI Black Diamond Tires.

During the race, a slew of UTV's with Bighorn tires failed. So, given I'm planning on doing the KOH race in Feb....

AND

I've had 3 ITP Beadlock wheels fail....

I decided to get STI HD Beadlock wheels as well

Just mounting the tires, was different than the Bighorns, as it was difficult to get the tire on even a beadlock wheel the bead was VERY STIFF!! The Bighorn, slid right over, where as the STI had to muscle it over. Once I had it on, I secured the ring. The ITP Ring is flat and simply pancakes over the tire. The STI beadlock is machined with a lip around the ring to center it on the wheel. Also, the bolts are all counter sunk to avoid grinding them round on the rocks.

When I filled the Bighorn tires (ask SCOTT) we had muscle them....on the rear tires, I had to put a strap around it to squeeze the tire to get the bead to sit. The STI tires held their shape so well....I simply added air...the bead caught and popped on.

It's clear from the start....the sidewall on the STI tire is MUCH STIFFER and more stout than the Bighorn tire. Even though they're both 6 ply...the difference between the 2 is night and day.

The 12" wide Bighorns/ITP were 43.5lbs and the 11" wide STI combo was 42.5.....but the fronts are both 9".....and Bighorn was 36lbs...and STI was 41lbs. So something is beefier

I got 'em mounted....and hit the Rubicon on Saturday...

So.....how did it ride???

The Bighorns I initially rock crawled with 5lbs of air....and lost 2 wheels the same weekend...probably the same rock. I then started running them with 7lbs of air....and lost another wheel! So I've been rock crawling the Bighorns with 8-9lbs. The tires still give....but much firmer to prevent crushing down the wheel.

So I started with the STI tires with 8lbs of air.....OH MY. I wouldn't call them rocks.....but they were DEFINITELY firm. So dropped them down to 6lbs of air. After running them at 6lbs of air, I can tell you they feel harder and have more height than the Bighorns with 9lbs. So clearly that sidewall is as I suspected...VERY STOUT!

I had to drive on the pavement for a mile or so.....and I was COMPLETELY surprised how smooth the tires were. First of all...they are directional...so you have to make sure you mount them correctly....but because they are, that center pattern on the tire is VERY smooth and quiet...my Bighorns were much louder. It also handled very nice, not that asphalt handling is job 1.

On the rocks....I got very good bite....especially after I dropped down to 6lbs....and I may drop it more down to 5lbs, just to check.

So would I ditch Bighorns? No...they're still a really good tire. But I think with the extra weight of the SxS...the STI is a more durable tire.

Rock Crawling: Edge Bighorn (So far). Reason? Air down..and curving around rocks, they are better. Traction edge...the STI seem better...I'll need more "rock" time to say for sure.
Hard Pack: STI is more smooth, handles better and is quieter
Mud: Only guessing here....but I think those STI lugs are going to be monsters
Snow: I have no idea...the Bighorns always have done well here....and given my STI's are 1" narrower....probably going to be Bighorn
Height: Bighorn 27" are closer to 28". STI are right at 27".
Durability: STI

Pricing...the tires seem about the same. Wheels...the STI wheels are in the 100 range per wheel....MUCH less than the ITP wheel...and they seem more durable.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Re: STI Tires and Beadlock Wheels

Postby ACLakey » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 am

Thank you for that review, very good stuff.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:41 am

No problem.

The Bighorns are definitely a more "plush" ride than the STI....You could probably easily run the STI's on an ATV at 4...maybe even 3lbs. Just have to play with it.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Cool tires and wheels, as far as the KOH there is no reason to to re invent the wheel no pun intended. I would like to go down and check out the race and the area. I have noticed that some guys are running the same size tire front and rear.

nice set up Ken.

DAVEF
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ACLakey » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:39 am

Ken wrote:No problem.

The Bighorns are definitely a more "plush" ride than the STI....You could probably easily run the STI's on an ATV at 4...maybe even 3lbs. Just have to play with it.
ATVTV did a couple reviews on these tires and had nothing but good things to say....if you can tolerate Doug's voice. :) If I remember correctly he recommended running 2.5-3lb due to the stiff sidewall on the ATV's.

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:47 am

looking good man. i would love to see how they do at moonrocks. i will let you know when my swaybar comes and we will test them out :)
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:15 pm

nice ken keep us posted, as i'm looking into getting some new tires soon as well.

Side note:
my bighorns got 4 flats on my last trip. 1 nail, tiny rip by a lug, and 2 pin hole's from cactus that couldn't be dodged. For the terrain i was in i was extremely happy with only getting away with that also they where all slow leaks so didn't even need to do any trail side repair which was nice.
09 can-am renegade

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Dang Brian...

I know the Arizona desert guys have cactus issues all the time and they all run Slime....which makes sense, since they're tiny holes...generally.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:26 pm

slime is great stuff but i heard in snow wheeling it freezes causeing some unique tire balancing issues :)
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:53 am

Kodiak wrote:slime is great stuff but i heard in snow wheeling it freezes causeing some unique tire balancing issues :)
That would not surprise me....

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:31 pm

FWIW, from the Slime website:

Will Slime freeze?

Slime will not freeze at even the lowest temperatures. It will, however, thicken temporarily in low temperatures if the tire is stationary. When the tire again begins to rotate the frictional heat will allow Slime to return to normal viscosity.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:26 pm

those rims look very nice and a great price! tiers look good too! :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:29 pm

how those tires holding up?
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Some of us know how one held up... :twisted:
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:45 pm

hemingray wrote:Some of us know how one held up... :twisted:
Operator error.

Great when you have the right air pressure.....I'm happy more than anything...than when I did get a flat...the rim didn't bust.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director