Slime In Your Tires.

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

Ghost Rider
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Slime In Your Tires.

Postby Ghost Rider » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:22 pm

I know some of you run slime in your tires. I want to put it in my tires also, for the added protection. How much should i put in each tire ?.
2011 Sportsman 550 EPS

Front/Rear Rack Extensions, Rear Lock And Ride Box With Back Rest, Fender Extensions, Heated Grips, Winch, HID Lights, Low Lock And Ride Windshield.

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Slime In Your Tires.

Postby Ken » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:12 pm

never used it....someone else will have to chime in.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:03 pm

I don't put it in the tires, but I have a bottle of it on rides along with plugs and an air compressor etc. My logic is that I'd rather know about a flat and deal with it, instead of having the Slime seal it and then not know about it.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

BruteForce
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BruteForce » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:02 am

I used to slime my tires, but I quickly realized two things:

- Slime really doesn't plug holes, it just shows you where the leak is (by the green goo coming out of the hole)
- Slime freezes and turns into giant chunks of ice flopping around inside your tire
2013 Sportsman XP 850 (Browning Edition) FI/EPS/LE
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i

Rider has ferocious attitude!

My blog site: http://utahbruteforce.com

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 am

I decided to learn a little more about Slime, and how it works. I've used "fix-a-flat" cans before on my cars/trucks and didn't think it would be really different. The thing is, the fix-a-flat products typically use latex rubber to seal any holes, but you really want to have the tire fixed afterwards - it just gets you on your way. Slime is different - it has fibrous and rubber material inside it. It's also water-soluable, which makes it easy to clean out, but there's the reason for the ice chunks! The idea is the fibrous material clogs up in the hole and the slimey material helps hold it together.

For those reasons, it doesn't do bead sealing since centrifigal force pushes it to the tread area. (and - guess what: sidewall cuts aren't helped much either for that reason!)

You also want to have a valve-core removal tool handy, since it should be out when you put Slime in. Q-tips are handy to help clean out the valve stem afterwards. They recommend 24-32 ounces of slime for ATV tires (that's a lot!)

Got most of this at the Slime FAQ page.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ghost Rider
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Ghost Rider » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:53 am

hemingray wrote:I decided to learn a little more about Slime, and how it works. I've used "fix-a-flat" cans before on my cars/trucks and didn't think it would be really different. The thing is, the fix-a-flat products typically use latex rubber to seal any holes, but you really want to have the tire fixed afterwards - it just gets you on your way. Slime is different - it has fibrous and rubber material inside it. It's also water-soluable, which makes it easy to clean out, but there's the reason for the ice chunks! The idea is the fibrous material clogs up in the hole and the slimey material helps hold it together.

For those reasons, it doesn't do bead sealing since centrifigal force pushes it to the tread area. (and - guess what: sidewall cuts aren't helped much either for that reason!)

You also want to have a valve-core removal tool handy, since it should be out when you put Slime in. Q-tips are handy to help clean out the valve stem afterwards. They recommend 24-32 ounces of slime for ATV tires (that's a lot!)

Got most of this at the Slime FAQ page.

Well i don`t want it to freeze in my tires in the winter time, so i will just buy one of the tire repair kits that slime sells and carry it with me when i ride.
2011 Sportsman 550 EPS

Front/Rear Rack Extensions, Rear Lock And Ride Box With Back Rest, Fender Extensions, Heated Grips, Winch, HID Lights, Low Lock And Ride Windshield.

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:24 pm

i carry
http://www.genuineinnovations.com/motorcycle_atv.html
also i carry 2-3 new vale steams and some jumper cable's in my tiny rear light storage area.

I have only used the tire repair kit once, in my garage after i saw a nail in my tire so figured good time to try it out. It worked well but i did end up carrying 6 more co2 bottals and about 20-30 more plugs just in case.

I have a mini pimp that comes with some slime so far ive always left it in my truck but if i can find a good place to carry it i will add it i think.

I think the all time best is what Jack had, i thought he mentioned he got it from www.montanajacks.com but i cant find it there. It was a portable tire / bead breaker and then he carried a tube to put in if needed, if you have the room something to consider.
09 can-am renegade

hellcat650

Postby hellcat650 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:29 pm

Does your Mini Pimp come with mini Ho's ? :D :lol:

I have a mini pimp that comes with some slime so far ive always left it in my truck but if i can find a good place to carry it i will add it i think.
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:23 pm

You know, someone out there, somewhere, has the street name "mini-pimp".

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:57 am

Mr. Green wrote:I have a mini pimp that
I hope he's working the girls hard and making you some money! :D
2013 Sportsman XP 850 (Browning Edition) FI/EPS/LE
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i

Rider has ferocious attitude!

My blog site: http://utahbruteforce.com

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:25 am

mini pimp is mini mikes unspoken of friend..

typing to fast id assume.
09 can-am renegade

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:06 pm

i could see mini mike being a mini pimp! hell he acts like one allready :roll:
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:22 am

I had slime in all 4 of my old Bighorns, but didn't slime then when I got new ones. I wish I had.

With the slime, I hardly ever had to add air. Without it, I now get slow leaks. There is a picture of me on the Signal Peak ride where you can see that my rear tire was real low on air (i think it was 3.2 pounds when I checked it after I got home). I was so used to slime that I wouldn't bother checking tire pressure before rides. Now that I'm slimeless, I'll have to start checking each ride until I can put some in.

I don't know how much was in each tire, the guys at Sierra Yamaha slimed them for me. Slime: don't leave home without it, especially if you are lazy like me.
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:34 am

We could take up a slime collection for you!

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:49 pm

GrizzlyGuy wrote:I had slime in all 4 of my old Bighorns, but didn't slime then when I got new ones. I wish I had.

With the slime, I hardly ever had to add air. Without it, I now get slow leaks. There is a picture of me on the Signal Peak ride where you can see that my rear tire was real low on air (i think it was 3.2 pounds when I checked it after I got home). I was so used to slime that I wouldn't bother checking tire pressure before rides. Now that I'm slimeless, I'll have to start checking each ride until I can put some in.

I don't know how much was in each tire, the guys at Sierra Yamaha slimed them for me. Slime: don't leave home without it, especially if you are lazy like me.

Your problem Eric, is living at 10,000 ft or whatever hell you're at......you leave home with 5lbs....and get to Eagle Lakes Road with 3.2.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/