Tire tip - slow leak

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Tire tip - slow leak

Postby hemingray » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:19 pm

Thought I would pass some knowledge on.

I have Bighorns and one of them had a slow leak which has become just a little faster. Getting tired of topping it off, I took it off the quad today to look at it. Seeing nothing obvious on the tread, I cranked it up to 25 PSI and put some soapy water around the bead. Nothing, but as I aired it down again - tiny bubbles along the bead in two places. I emptied it and pushed the bead down, intending to put some slime along the bead. When I pushed the bead down - there are two of those little mold "whiskers" folded under and on the bead. The rest around the tires are fine, just these two were missing - and laid into the bead; they were causing the slow leak.

It would be a non-issue at a higher pressure, but down about 5 lbs, the bead was not seating around them.

Anyway, hope this might help someone else with a maddening slow leak!
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Re: Tire tip - slow leak

Postby ACLakey » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 am

Yep, I had the same issue a while back and came to the same conclusion. Another place to look when you have a slow leak is the valve core, they can show the same symptoms. I am glad you got yours figured out.

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:19 am

Ah yes, the dreaded whiskers. :twisted:

When I had my Bighorns put on up at Sierra Yamaha, I had the same problem on multiple tires. They were inflated properly when I left their shop, but down a couple of pounds by the time I got home. I ended up taking the Grizzlies back TWICE for remounting.

On the second time, I decided to lean over the shoulder of the tire guy as he did the work. I spotted a whisker getting caught under the bead, pointed it out, so he yanked them all back off and was then careful about them. The tires finally sealed properly. This was one day before we were heading to Utah for our 2006 6-day expedition so I had them put slime in all the tires just in case. I haven't had a problem since, and I hardly ever have to add air. After sitting in the Grizzly Den all winter, they were only down about 1/2 pound.

The next time around (soon for my Grizzly), I'm going to take a razor blade and cut off all the whiskers before they mount them. Or insist that they do that first.
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:14 am

I bet that's WILDHORSE's problem!!!
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ATVUtah
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby ATVUtah » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:10 pm

An old time sand duners trick for tires that wont stay sealed at the beads is to apply a very thin film of axle bearing grease to the bead. Make sure it's a petroleum based grease not one of the new synthetics. Not much grease just enough to slick up the bead and don't get it on the inside of the tire, just on the bead sealing area. Then air the tire up to as in the case of an ATV around 20-25 psi and leave them sit for a couple days. The grease actually begins to attack and slightly melt the rubber compounds in the tire and allows it to mold to the rim better and seal the bead better. This i also why you cant use much as it can damage the bead if too much is left on for too long. Also wash off any extra on the tire once the tire is inflated. After they have sat for a couple days you can let the air down to their normal running pressure.

I learned the trick from a guy who both worked in a tire shop for decades and was a avid sand racer. He also said they used to do this with low pressure farm tractor tires to get them to bead up properly.

I've done it and it worked with some tough to seal Carlisle tires that came on my Can-am. One problem though is the tire was a lot harder to get the bead to break loose from the rim when I had to change one out some months later down the road. The rubber actually tore at the bead area when dismounting it, but I'm not so sure that wasn't the guy operating the tire machines fault at the tire shop.
Have fun, ride safe, keepem wheels down, and see you at the Jamborees,
[url=http://www.atvutah.com/catalog/index.php]Buy my Paiute ATV Trail Guide book I need beer money[/url]

trainman
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby trainman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:23 am

I just had a similar problem with the right front bighorn on my KQ right after airing up the tires. It turned out the be the valve stem, but it was the spring loaded valve inside not seating properly. If I pop it in and out quickly it will seal. I actually have metal stems on my Jeep wheels due to airing them up and down for surf fishing. Has anyone had any experience with these on your ATV?
thanks

Wildhorse800
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby Wildhorse800 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:45 am

Could be my problem...

No issues yet since he used the bead sealer. [-o<
2008 Polaris SP800 HO
1999 Polaris SP500
2008 Suzuki M-50
1988 Honda VLX 600

I've been told I joke around too much.
So one day I tried being serious.
Everybody laughed!

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:40 pm

actuly for a thing that wont mess with any tire rubber compound any tire smaller then a 11 inch rim or low profiles when i worked at goodyear tire co. we used BEES wax.
you can buy it in buckets.. works wounders for tires that dont' seal on the beads and unlike beadsealer you can get the tire off.

just thought i would share.
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:17 pm

Actually I'm not surprised that beeswax would work. I would not have thought of it though - great tip!
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:41 am

That is a great tip AJ. You just paid for your annual membership to the board. :)
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:05 pm

lol that is pretty funn ken.
but yea we used beez waz all the time specaly for high end rims. no chemicals.
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.