need new tires for my honda

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

need new tires for my honda

Postby roon101 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:30 am

any idea what tires would suite my honda 400 the best my stock tires have had it

i would like a little smoother ride and better trackration if that is possible
i have 2 diffrant sets in mind ither terra cross or big horn but i hear that
i should see what ppl recomend i see alot of guys on here with big horns and none with terra cross

all input is welcome and a reasonble place to buy them
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:28 pm

Given that the Terra Cross is a bit more expensive than the Bighorns in a quick look, I would go for the Bighorns!

If you're on stockers, they are probably bias ply, so the radials will really feel smooth no matter which. When I first rode with Grizzly Guy, I couldn't understand how he could go so fast on Bowman Lake road (I was on the stock Dunlops) with all those rocks. When I put the Bighorns on, I understood!

Not sure if you'll go rock crawling with the 400 (is it 4WD?), but the traction is ridiculously amazing with the Bighorns - there's ample evidence on this board about them - I got mine based on Ken's review. They are awesome.

If you're just doing roads, you might just look for a less expensive radial tire.

Good luck!

Dave
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:44 pm

I moved this to the ATV Tires section.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

sorry ken i do that alot i know

Postby roon101 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:33 am

i have been looking at some of the cheaper tires considering that momma is gonna be riding this quad

so basicly as long as it is a radial will have a much smoother ride
i didn't know that the stock tires where bias so any one have an idea what to buy we mostly do like mountin terrain riding and some creek riding like gravly water sand kinda stuff
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.

hellcat650
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby hellcat650 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:42 am

Ok, I dream of "Big Horns" someday, but if horns are off the table or overkill for type of riding, what is everyones next choice?

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:39 am

Someone is selling some Carlisle ACT tires over in the For Sale forum - they are factory take-offs, but they appear to be radials, from what I can tell online. Not a bad looking tire. Dunno if they would fit the application but the size seems to be pretty common.

Dave

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Rocky Mt sells a Duro Powergrip that is an exact copy of the Big Horns, albeit about $30 per tire cheaper. The only caveat is that they come in 25" ONLY. However, for about $280 you can have a set of 4 VERY nice tires at your door. Last I checked they were backordered until May, but if you can wait, I'd say they're worth it.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

hellcat650
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby hellcat650 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:42 pm

Kendo wrote:Rocky Mt sells a Duro Powergrip that is an exact copy of the Big Horns, albeit about $30 per tire cheaper. The only caveat is that they come in 25" ONLY. However, for about $280 you can have a set of 4 VERY nice tires at your door. Last I checked they were backordered until May, but if you can wait, I'd say they're worth it.
What's different to warrant the lower price besides size Kendo?
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Different manufacturer. Perhaps since Duro didn't have to go thru the R&D process they could offer them much cheaper. Maybe they have 8 year old Chinese boys making them? :?
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:12 pm

I believe there is another Bighorn knock-off - GBC Dirt Tamers (I think). They are bias ply though - so be careful!

If I had the choice again, I would still go for the 'Horns even if I was paying $70 more for the set (which is the difference at Rocky Mtn ATV between the Duro things and Bighorns).

Rocky Mountain ATV has a ton of different tires, including less aggressive radials that might do you just fine.

Dave
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS