oil change!

Grizzlies and Wolverines...living together in harmony.

Moderator: hemingray

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

oil change!

Postby Kodiak » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:30 pm

hello Yamaha people ok im due for an oil change according to my manual. i was wondering how hard this is to do on an atv as i have only changed the oil on my car and never on an atv?? also can i only get an oil filter at the yamaha store or will napa have it?? yeah if anyone could help me out with this id appreciate it. also i think my atv is running really rich for the high elevation stuff like fordyce when i pulled the plug it was black and a bit wet! and i just cleaned the air filter. thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it.

p.s. if one of you local guys wouldn't mind giving me a hand i would totally buy us pizza as we tore into my kodiak BEAST!! and tuned her up!

thanks again,
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

zkeys
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby zkeys » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:42 am

I have never been able to find stuff at Napa for my father in laws Wolverine, or my friends Warrior. Usually the oil changes should not be that difficult to do. I have never done one on a Kodiak, but it should not be that much harder than the Wolverine. A suggestion for parts would be to search online for Yamaha OEM parts, you can usually pick something up much cheaper than by going to your dealer.
As for the jetting, usually going one size smaller on your main jet when you go to elevation should lean you up a little for your rides. Just make sure to change it back before you ride to much at lower elevations. Unless you are running really bad (ie, sputtering, coughing, etc) then the rich situation should not hurt things to bad. Lean, however, will destroy an ATV.
Good Luck,
Zack
06 Brute Force 650 SRA Green
Dynatek CDI
26" Mud Lite XL's on ITP Series 4

trainman
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby trainman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:34 pm

I only have had Honda ATVs but have changed my oil all the time. This is very easy to do in any machine with a wet sump, ie, crankcase. Actually doing it yourself you can and probably should do it more often than recommended. I bought oil filters from the Honda dealer, or a local shop that carried Fram filters for the Foreman. The dealer will probably want you to buy Yamaha oil, but you don't have to use it. Any good oil should work. Your manual should tell you where the filter is, and how to get it out. Its really easy, you can do it.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:18 am

Use any filters...but Fram.

Mr. Bill...aka the engineer of the group will explain.

Wix is a better after market choice.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:10 pm

way cool thanks guys i await to be enlightened by the great Mr. Bill.
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ACLakey » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:51 pm

I bought a $3.00 cap style filter wrench at Walmart, it is for smaller oil filters and fits the Grizz filter perfectly. For the first oil change I purchased Yamalube and their filter to keep a paper trail if any warranty work needed to be done. It was a simple process, drain the oil from underneath, put a new filter on and fill her back up. I did prime the new filter before installing it though, amazing how much oil that little thing will hold. I would reccomend dropping the center skid plate, you can perform the change with the plate still on, but the oil wants to get trapped on the skid.

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:44 am

The Kodiak, Grizzly, and Rhino's all use the same oil filter. The Yamaha part # is 5GH-13440-00-00, but I'd use a Wix 51358, a much better filter. The Kodiak takes almost 2.5 quarts of oil, and you can do both front and rear differentials with less than a quart of gear lube. Can't help on the carb, never messed with ours, seems to run fine at all elevations.

If you're interested in any Amsoil let me know, I have it here and have an order of the Wix filters coming in any day
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]