Carb. adjustments on Sportsman 700? Attn CHADD!!

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Pepe
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Carb. adjustments on Sportsman 700? Attn CHADD!!

Postby Pepe » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:28 pm

I have a 2002 Sportsman 700 with ~1900mi in it. All I have done is regular oil changes and greaseing. On the last trip I noticed it would hesitate on full throttle hill climbs. So I decided it was time for a tune up to see of that would help. I put in a new air filter, fule filter, cleaned the breather filter, and new NGK-BKR7E spark plugs. The air filter was dirty (as expected) and the plugs were some what sooted up from running too rich. I started it up to warm it up for the oil change and it was ideling noticeably high. I read the owners manual and shop manual about the idle speed adjustment. I started it up in diagonostic mode and turned on the tach, it was idleing at 1800 rpm. (manual says it should idle at 1200 rpm + or - 200) I slowly backed off on the idle adjustment screw several turns with no change, then I screwed it back in untill it idled up to ~2200rpm (too lean) and slowly backed off untill it idled back down but it never went below 1800 rpm.

So now what? I figure the plugs are the main reason for the change but they seam to be the same heat range and I did check the gaps at .35". I could adjust the pilot screw but I wanted to ask for opinions first. Also what is the correct proceedure for adjusting the pilot screw and the idle screw? How many turns do you back off for the base setting?

Pepe

Postby Pepe » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:03 pm

Also how do I get the plug out that covers the hole to the pilot adjuster hole?

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:09 pm

Hummm..... Just an idea. Maybe that plug is there for a reason. Are you sure you want to start modifing the pilot screw? Just a thought....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Rogue
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Rogue » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:40 am

The plug is there because mikuni carbs are such a pain the butt to tune that unless you know what you're doing, you shouldn't mess with it.

However, if you want to remove it, it is simply a brass plug. Take a drill and very carefully drill it out. It's about 1/3 of an inch deep. I'm not sure on the 34mm carb, but on my Predator carb, which is 40mm, the first plug looking at the intake side is the fuel/air screw, the other plug goes to something I have never messed with. I have only used the fuel/air screw.
[url=http://www.nvatr.com]North Valley All Terrain Riders[/url]
The definition of irony: working on a Navy base in the middle of a desert.

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:35 am

The plug is there for emissions crap. The lovely state of california doesn't want us messing with the settings. like rouge said just drill it out then thread a screw into it and pop it out.

can you turn the idle srew all the way out and it still won't idle down? is the throttle cable to tight?

The pilot air screw adjustment should be 1.5 turns out .
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Pepe

Postby Pepe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:53 pm

So it sounds like I will have to remove the carb from the bike to be able to drill it. I will check out the throtle cable but I doubt that changed. I just want to clarify this, I should turn the idle screw out to lower the idle rpm?

I feal like I am coming across as a complete newbe when it comes to wrenching on things. Honestly I think I am competant mechanic. I just like to do my home work before I dive into some things, and the service manual is no help whatsoever with the carb.

Is the NGK-BKR7E the right spark plug?

Thanks for the help guys!

Pepe

Update!

Postby Pepe » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:58 pm

Well I was wrong! The throtle cable was the problem. It looks like one of the kids has messed with the freeplay adjustment on the cable. I know it wasnt like this when I shut it off a few weeks ago.

But it is running a little on the rich side. How should I go about leaning it out a little bit? I am currently at about 100' above sea level and most of my rideing is at around 3000' to 9000'. Do I need to rejet it? And dont tell me to get a EFI. :D

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:13 pm

And dont tell me to get a EFI.
Don't you hate it when you already know the answer....... :wink:

Me, I hate it when Chadds right (throttle cable)...... lol
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:33 pm

Jack recently put the 3000 - 6000 ft jet in his 600...and is very happy with the performance gain.

viewtopic.php?t=482
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:40 pm

I would deffinitly rejet it if you ride at that elavation. I would even consider changing the weights. it makes all the differance in the world.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:24 pm

What if he's comfortable with his weight? ;)
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:29 am

while on the carb subject, what mine does on my 600, it is always dumping fuel out of the overflow tube...I put in a new needle and float and adjusted to factory spec...but still does it, any ideas on what I can do to fix it?
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Rogue
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Rogue » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:19 am

Float is off. Factory spec or not :( . I would try adjusting it a little lower. Also make sure no debris worked its way in while you were changing stuff. Could be as simple as crap in the bowl messing up the float height.
[url=http://www.nvatr.com]North Valley All Terrain Riders[/url]
The definition of irony: working on a Navy base in the middle of a desert.

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:29 pm

Did you change the needle and seat?

Pepe

Postby Pepe » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:47 pm

Chadd wrote:I would deffinitly rejet it if you ride at that elavation. I would even consider changing the weights. it makes all the differance in the world.

What jets and what weights would you recomend?