2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. overheating!

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

qckslvrr
Wears Teal Eddie Bauer clothes

2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. overheating!

Postby qckslvrr » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:41 pm

I recently purchased a 2000 polaris sportsman 500 h.o.

The first day I took it out for a ride I went about 10 minutes before the engine temperature light came on and I began to boil over out the reservoir.

What I have done:

The wiring harness that runs down the front two low beam lights and the fan connection wasnt showing any power at all. The lights I could careless about atm so I ran the fan directly to the battery using a fuse.

The fan is on full time now when riding, however I wasnt getting any power after what seemed like 15-18mph. Every time I gave it throttle past this point it would feel like it bogged down a bit and just wasn't getting the juice needed. My dad figured that the coolant wasn't cycling through the block properly due to the thermostat (Which we tested, and it worekd) and decided to take the thermostat out temporarily. This actually seemed to resolve the issue, the fan cooled the motor, circulated fluid properly, and gave us power back, however only up to around 45 mph before it wanted to bog down again. (this caused issues with hills)

Thermostat is good, rad cap is good, restored power back to the front switch where the fan and lights plug in, still fan won't toggle on and off.

I personally have no idea about anything like this and are simply trying to relay the issues for my dad.

About to test the sensor, about to take the rad out. Please advise if you have any suggestions! Everything and all appreciated!

Ken
Site Admin

Re: 2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. overheating!

Postby Ken » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Multiple Issues me thinks.

1) Your sensor is messed up.....no sensor worky = no fan. Hooking it up directly, bypassed that....

2) Your carb is messed up. That is likely the bogging issue....What altitude is it jetted for?? That would matter....running too lean, would cause it to over heat

3) Your plug is likely fouled
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/