ATV Bogging Down - Fuel Pump Solved!

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

ATV Bogging Down - Fuel Pump Solved!

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:14 am

So...it began in Moab. Riding along a road, Kane Creek exactly and suddenly the quad just bogged down...BLAHHHHHHH. I stopped and restarted it.....Worked fine.

Did a lot of riding....it may have happened once more....but not very often.

Then during summer...it started happening more frequently. Miyagi it happened several times...it got to the point during the summer..it would happen while riding, I wouldn't even stop...I would just turn the key off...coast...turn it back on....and keep going.

Finally, in December, Scott and I went riding and it was awful....like every 5 minutes it would die....just bog down...no throttle response. Reset the key...and good to go for another 5 minutes...but it was now happening regularly...something I could bring in...explain how to replicate..and it would happen.

Long story short.....it was the Fuel pump. So the pump would slowly lose pressure...when I would reset the key...the pump would reset and build pressure. As it died, it would lose pressure faster and faster.

Polaris ONLY sells the gas tank and Fuel pump together...and it's around $500....but there's another option.

You can remove the pump...and replace with a Hyundai car fuel pump....it's almost identical...and according to some...a much better pump.

NAPA Part #: P72118
AutoZone Part #: E8198

I can't verify the Autozone is the same part.....but I have put the Napa part in my quad...works like a champ!
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Wildhorse800
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Re: ATV Bogging Down

Postby Wildhorse800 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:17 am

Did you need any extras, like hose, clamps, etc?
2008 Polaris SP800 HO
1999 Polaris SP500
2008 Suzuki M-50
1988 Honda VLX 600

I've been told I joke around too much.
So one day I tried being serious.
Everybody laughed!

Ken
Site Admin

Re: ATV Bogging Down

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Wildhorse800 wrote:Did you need any extras, like hose, clamps, etc?
Not that I'm aware of....I had my dealer install it...he took it out of the box and went cool...that will work.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/