I found oil in my clutch cover...

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

cwlongshot
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

I found oil in my clutch cover...

Postby cwlongshot » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:09 pm

Mornin guys, I need advice...
My question is. I know my belt on my '07 700 EFI is slipping. I do have a replacement. I also want to do a EPI clutch kit before next seasons riding.

Trouble is its slipping now and I have snow to move. I'm plowing in LO and not pushing it really hard. I have a small drive way but a long side walks, but they are easily done with two passes.

I was going to throw on the new belt and dress the sheaves. Then in the spring add the clutch kit and another new belt. Then keep the plowing belt as a spare.

My question is my machine was bought used with 71 miles on it and very, very little trail use. It was a snow plow ATV. I'm thinking either the PO didn't properly break in the belt/machine, OR plowed in high range. (OR just abused the thing) I doubt the last as the machine is a excellent condition with no evidence whats so ever of misuse.

I have more snow due here tonight and Wednesday. I just finished plowing about 10" of fluffy powdery light snow. No time to properly break in a new belt.

Am I going to do any harm to just leave the slipping belt for the rest of the snow season. OR should I throw on the new belt clean and scuff the sheaves and just sacrifice the belt, OR pull the cover and clean scuff the sheaves and belt. LEAVE old belt and reassemble?

I am concerned about causing more damage to the sheaves or clutches running it with a known slipping belt.

UPDATE:

OK so I decided to delve in today I pulled the cover and guess what I found!?!?!?

OIL !!!!!!

My guess is the seal at the crank behind the main/ primary clutch is bad. All sheave's look good once I got the film of oil off everything. Clutches look as you would expect for a machine with under 100 miles and never in mud, nice and clean almost like new. Belt appears oil soaked so I put in my spare belt.

BIG difference!!!

Guess its a trip to the dealer for the seal...

CW

Ghost Rider
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Re: I found oil in my clutch cover...

Postby Ghost Rider » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:40 pm

It least you found it now, before it turned into a major problem.
2011 Sportsman 550 EPS

Front/Rear Rack Extensions, Rear Lock And Ride Box With Back Rest, Fender Extensions, Heated Grips, Winch, HID Lights, Low Lock And Ride Windshield.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:16 pm

yup..that will cause slipping.

To address some of your other stuff....

Plowing, should always be done in LOW range. If you aren't going over 15mph...you should be in low.

If it was just the belt and not the oil...change the belt is a 10 minute thing.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

cwlongshot

Postby cwlongshot » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:55 pm

yup..that will cause slipping.

Plowing, should always be done in LOW range. If you aren't going over 15mph...you should be in low.

Thanks, yea, I do plow in LO but who know what the Previous Owner did... :roll:

Well I dropped it off last Thursday afternoon... They said that they had never seen that before... :roll:

I also dropped the hammer on a EPI Clutch kit. I noticed that the price went up by almost 100$!!! It WAS just over $100, now its listed as $199. I went to flea bay where I had marked a long auction. They had it for $106 shipped so I grabbed it.

I have no idea what the cause will be, but suspect either bad seal from day one or maybe something go between the seal and caused the leak. The shifter also works hard, easier when not running but not allot better. Also you can shift into park and HI with out pressing the brake.

They said they would likely look at it today, if parts needed to be ordered, they would let me know. Otherwise I should have it back Thursday. I will post up the findings...

CW

UPDATE:
I spoke with the dealer today...

Seems the main shaft in the transmittion is bad. Bad where the seal rides and inside causing the hard shifting. It should be done early next week.

I'll post back up once I get it back and see how it works!!

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:15 am

Shifting without the footbrake into P and H, depends on the year.

2005 or older...you have to press on the brake
2006, no brake required. Still need to be stopped though.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

cwlongshot

Postby cwlongshot » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:05 pm

Ken wrote:Shifting without the foot-brake into P and H, depends on the year.

2005 or older...you have to press on the brake
2006, no brake required. Still need to be stopped though.
Just wondered where you got this information?

My manual says to depress the foot brake before shifting into HI or PARK. My pop bought a 2010 550, he needs to depress the brake to get it into hi or Park...

CW

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:54 am

Sorry, I'm referring to Sportsman.

I'm not sure about XP's...I don't own one.

The reason I know...Is I have a 2005 and when i bought my 2006...it was a feature....no more brake required.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:05 am

If you're smart, you can make your pre 2006 act like that too. I don't have to depress the brake to shift. 8)
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

cwlongshot

Postby cwlongshot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:56 pm

Well, I called the dealer yesterday...
It seems they only just ordered the parts last Friday...(What have they been doing for almost two weeks??). They didn't arrive Monday and we are currently in the middle of a bad snow storm, so services will be delayed until Thursday at the earliest. More likely Friday. SO, once parts arrive its a good two days work to repair.

I don't really need it and cannot do allot with it with almost four feet of snow on the ground... but I want my popo back!!! :x :x

CW

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ToddW » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Ken wrote:yup..that will cause slipping.

Do you have an OEM clutch setup?

I stay in low unless I`m going over 25.

15-25mph in LOW is right in the power band of my 800.
I don't know for a fact but the 500 seems to rev-higher and 25-30 seems doable in LOW.
I`m thinking this is due to single cylinder vis the twin ???
Whichever it is, I know the 800 is more snappy 15-25 and then you can tell you are at rev limit where the 500 feels like it will keep going and going but w/out much ooomph so the 500 may be past power band but not at rev limit at those speeds in low.

----

As far as plowing. I think I have a post here about my belts too. But, when I was plowing with the ATV I decided it best to change belts yearly. This is the first year for me to plow with the tractor, and not ATV. Let me tell you I am :P that I don't have to use the ATV anymore!! Not only is it done sooner but I`m not pushing the limits of my ATV's components.

Plowing really stresses the belt, and front suspension. After 2 years of plowing and about 700 miles or so trail riding all 4 of my springs were replaced, the front were really saggy the rear-not so bad but figured they should be done too. (I believe Ken had good luck with rear springs too.)

On that note, I did burn up my first belt with less than a couple hundred miles on it. It may have been less than 100 miles. Slipping is bad, crawling at 2mph up hill in high or low is not bad but will wear early too, thus plowing slow no matter what you do will wear out the belt faster.

Now that I have my RZR I`m learning more about the belt system and the abuse these mud and sand guys put them through in high is very amazing. It seems that proper RPM range, and a quality clutch will allow you to use high more safely than the 100% OEM setup. Obviously also not being stupid on high-traction trails is key too :D

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:04 am

Couple things...

Yes...I have the OEM clutch on my 800. It's the EPI clutch as OEM...works great, like the engagement...no reason to change for me.

Mud guys...yeah..the crap they put their ATV through is amazing....Most are in High...but then again..even though they may moving 5 mph or less...their wheels are spinning 50+mph....which is why, they blow axles like crazy.

Trading one problem...and moving it farther down the line. :)

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

cwlongshot

Postby cwlongshot » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:18 am

Thanks for the tips!

I have been plowing snow in trucks, Jeeps and small John Deere machines for a number of years, just new to it with the Polaris. I have always plowed with this machine in LO.

From day one I found a miss with the machine. Or so I thought... In reality it was bouncing off the rev limiter because of the slipping. Top speed was about 35-40. At first I thought maybe bad gas, after driving a bit it did seem to get better. Plowing REALLY showed it was a problem. Then I pulled the cover thanks to many peoples coaxing. I found the oil...

Still no word from dealer yet either... looks like next week at the earliest... :x :x

I did get the EPI clutch kit in the mean time!! I bought the one for larger tires as I also plan on 27" tires OR Bighorn 26'' in the spring.

CW

cwlongshot

Postby cwlongshot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:29 am

UPDATE:

Well I picked up my machine Thursday.... All I can say is WOW!!!

Now that the belt/CVT is working properly, this thing has nearly twice the power!!! I rode around the dealer to the trailer, when I got out to the wide open, clear parking lot, (in high) I stabbed the throttle and the front wheels came right off the ground!!!! WOW!!!! It would get "lite" before, but try as I might it couldn't quite get them up in high before. Lo sure, but I expected that. Now HUGE difference!!!!

They found the main shaft in the tranny was bad. Counter guy couldn't elaborate. But the kid out back jostling machines around to get mine out knew the repair and said the surface where the seal rode was scored. Causing it to "weep" into the CVT cover. Also they adjusted the deflection that was causing my hard shifting problem.

Its gonna be mighty hard the next month or so... we have much too much snow on the ground to hit my trails here. I have the clutch kit to install and with all that snow (I plow) I have the $$ for the new tires all set aside. I'll be near critical with cabin fever by march for sure!! LOL

I got also finally got the dimensions for the secondary compression tool I built. So, I'll try it out when I install the EPI Sport Utility clutch kit in the next couple weeks.

CW

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Glad you got it all sorted out and it's going to be working like it should! Now, if only winter can be over! :-)
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS