Please help with Tie Rod questions!!!!

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

ryan3294
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Please help with Tie Rod questions!!!!

Postby ryan3294 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:45 pm

I bought a Polaris Sportsman 500HO about four days ago. I rode it only two days and just noticed that my left tie rod is bent! I don't really remember hitting anything hard or anything unusual. Is this a normal occurrence? I ordered an OEM replacement from bikebandit.com. Is there anywhere I can buy reinforced/titanium tie rods for this machine? I have been searching on-line and cannot find a decent site. Any critical things I should know when replacing the tie rod? Please help me with any input! Thanks.

Franco

Postby Franco » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:39 pm

Ryan are you from Connecticut?
2004.5 Sportsman 700 EFI

ryan3294

Postby ryan3294 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:44 pm

Sure am "Franco" Two days and I already managed to damage something! How's the nose!?!?

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:52 pm

Ryan...

Welcome.

To answer your question....TOTALLY NOT normal. I've been going 30+ mph, hit a rock HARD, busted open a 6ply side wall...and still not tie rod problem.

Did you buy it used? perhaps you missed it on the inspection?? I can't imagine, that it's that costly to replace. I'd probably recommend someone who knows what they are doing, install it. You want to make sure your in alignment. (toe in or out). I can't imagine that it's more than a 30 minute job for a pro....it's probably less...though they may charge you the full 30 minutes.....ask, if in doubt.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:57 pm

BTW..I deleted the other tie-rod post.

As to your question...World Of PowerSports...on the link page...has blow up schematics of the parts....you can buy anythign there....just gotta dig...sometimes it's not obvious where to find the part.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

ryan3294

Postby ryan3294 » Sun May 01, 2005 1:39 am

I bought the machine brand-spanky new. I don't know if it was a manufacturer defect or what.

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sun May 01, 2005 4:36 pm

How long ago did you buy it? I'd recommend taking it back to your dealer and verifing that the issue wasn't a factory installation or shipping issue.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun May 01, 2005 5:34 pm

I've hit my wheels HARD....almost ripped the bars out of my hand...hurt my hand....and still not bent. I'm pretty certain you'd REMEMBER a blow hard enough to bend it.

I'd bring it back to the dealer.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

KTM265

Postby KTM265 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:15 pm

I'm new to the forum but a regular on many others and I also manufacture tie-rods for several companies. I'm not sure on advertising rules so I'll not list them but will offer what I know about tie-rods...

1) It's not uncommon for tie-rods to bend or break on the heavier models. The Kawasaki Brute Force and V-Force are probably the worst on tie-rods. You roll them off the curb at the dealership and they bend...

There are 2 things that should always be 100% perfect on your ATV...Brakes and steering. Everything else makes it go, those two things keep you under control...you loose either and you are in a world of hurt.

Most of my work has been with the Kawasaki, Suzuki and Bombardier lines...If anyone is willing to work with me some, I'll design a set for Polaris models...

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:31 am

Try here for stronger front end parts.
http://atvfrontier.com/modules.php?name ... 61&catid=9
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:28 am

Bill..link won't work unless you're registered...FYI.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:29 am

KTM265 wrote:Most of my work has been with the Kawasaki, Suzuki and Bombardier lines...If anyone is willing to work with me some, I'll design a set for Polaris models...

What exactly do you need?

Like I said in the earlier post....I've hit my wheel so hard...I blew a hole in the side.....still no bent tie-rod. I'm kinda scared to know what it WOULD take to make it bend.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

KTM265

Postby KTM265 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:49 pm

Looking for exact length of the tie-rod it self...also length of thread (how much is on the rod) and size of thread...If you have a picture of the rod and ends that helps...

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:16 am

I can take some pictures (unless someone beats me). I'll be in San Diego working all week...so it wouldn't be until next weekend.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

KTM265

Postby KTM265 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:02 pm

If anyone is looking to upgrade your ignition and live in Georgia...Diamond G is looking to build a new ignition module for 04 and 05 Polaris 4X4 ATVs to get some specs from and for your help they will give you one of the first production modules...Just send me a PM with how to get in contact with you and we'll get it set up...