Polaris X2 Fuel Pump/Computer Problem

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

NevadaBob
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Polaris X2 Fuel Pump/Computer Problem

Postby NevadaBob » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:58 pm

Anyone else have or know of problems with the 499CC EFI Engine for the Polaris X2.

ATV would quit while driving and dealer diagnosed and replaced the fuel pump in October.
The next week it continued to quit and the dealer found the Computer DPI unit was faulty and replaced it.
The following week the brand new Computer died after driving it one mile and another was sent for and installed.
The week after that the brand new fuel pump quit after a 13 mile drive.
So another fuel pump was installed.
I then took it on a 40 mile trip and then last Saturday a 50 mile trip and everything was fine. Went on a short trip also on Saturday and the fuel pump quit again. This is all since October.
I tried contacting Polaris and they are not helpful.
My dealer says the fuel pump is identical to the Ford Taurus fuel pump which they use as a replacement.

I don't feel confident with my machine that is a 2006 with 2800 miles and 190 hours. Twice now I've been stranded. Once I had to use a Sat phone to call for a tow.
I'm thinking I will replace the fuel pump myself so I learn how to do it in the field and carry a spare. But what make/model?

Any thoughts? Anyone else with this kind of trouble
Bob
Last edited by NevadaBob on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:41 pm

WOW you finally found us bob... :shock:
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

hellcat650
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby hellcat650 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:56 pm

d2photo wrote:WOW you finally found us bob... :shock:
I am guilty of posting that there are a lot of Polaris experts here. :D
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

NevadaBob

Postby NevadaBob » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:30 pm

Yup, Finally here. I see some familiar faces.

I spoke to the Polaris dealer here in Vegas. The pump comes inside the tank and costs $591.89 just for the part. What I can't figure out is if the pump is in the tank how can the other dealer replace the pump with a Ford Taurus fuel pump. You can't go to the auto supply store and order a tank for an ATV with a Taurus fuel pump inside. The only thing I like is that the Taurus pump costs $147 as opposed to the $591.89

What the heck is the wears Eddie Bauer stuff on the side of the post?

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:06 pm

The eddy bower chothes thing will change as you post more. I think it goes away at 100 posts and then goes to tracking a shipment from cabelas.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:39 pm

You can get the fuel pump out thru the top of the tank. As far as the Taurus being the same, I really don't know. If you can get your hands on your old pump and then take it to the parts store to compare, you may be able to match part numbers on the pump itself.

Not sure why you're having so much trouble, have you changed the filter? Bad gas?
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

NevadaBob

Postby NevadaBob » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:40 pm

Bad gas isn't the issue. This has happened with several tanks of fresh gas.
Didn't know you could get the pump out the top. Explains how they can use a Taurus fuel pump. I assume the dealer would have thought of the filter. Is the filter something an owner can get to? I want to take it apart myself to better understand what is going on. As far as matching part numbers. Don't know what to match them to. Another Taurus fuel pump? Would rather not buy a Polaris $590 tank/pump. There must be a less expensive solution. But with my luck...

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:03 pm

Well, according to the manual for the 2008 EFI model, the fuel pump is not serviceable or replaceable without replacing the whole assembly. That being said, the pump/sender/regulator comes out as an assembly so I would think you could pick parts off of it and replace as needed. But I could be totally off base.

As far as matching part numbers, if the pump is the same as the Taurus, then it is outsourced by Polaris and should have a manufacturer stamped on the part and maybe even a part number. With those two pieces of info, the internet and your local parts guy should be able to cross reference with something.

I do have the specs - 25 liters per hour and 39 psi. Push come to shove, match those specs and retrofit an external pump.

Just tossing ideas at you, $590 is a chunk of change!!

NevadaBob

Postby NevadaBob » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:58 pm

Kendo,
Maybe I'm confused. The part number on the fuel pump would be for a Taurus because the dealer went to the auto parts store and bought a fuel pump for a Taurus. I probably didn't convey that well enough. The dealer came up with this substitution to save people money. They have installed it in others ATV's but I seem to be the only one with a problem.

I phoned a different dealer today. They also mentioned that the OEM part which is number 2520776 and costs $591.89 comes with the tank and is the tank/pump assembly and puts out 40PSI. I'll try to get a part number for the one that comes from Polaris. That would be good info to have.

I will check but most likely the Taurus pump meets those specs and puts out the 39PSI at 25 Liters/hour.

I'm just wondering why a Taurus pump would not hold up as well as an OEM Polaris pump. Can't be that one is tougher than the other. Both are designed to withstand vibration. A car's fuel pump lasts for thousands and thousands of miles. Why can't it last for a hundred in an ATV?

Your input is appreciated.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:44 am

The part number I mentioned earlier would be the one off the original pump that the dealer replaced - but not the pump/tank assembly, that's a Polaris part number and does no good anywhere but Polaris.

Basically, you would need the old assembly, take it apart and then look at the pump to see any identifying marks on it. Polaris does not make it's own fuel pumps or any other parts for that matter, so they had to buy it from someone. They would also adapt their design to use an off the shelf product to save them money as well, so the odds of finding a replacement that meets specifications are quite good.

Maybe the dealer replaced yours with a refurbished Taurus pump and that's why it went out?

If it were me, I would probably research and find an external pump that meets specs and is reasonably priced to carry in my spare parts. Especially considering you've been stranded a couple of times already.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:48 am

Here are some numbers to check
CARTER #P72118
AIRTEX #E8198
AC-DELCO #EP308
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

NevadaBob

Postby NevadaBob » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:45 pm

I can't get the part number from the pump that is inside a new Polaris fuel tank. The dealer says often the part doesn't have a number on it and they don't have any old ones to check.
The dealer in Vegas wants $591.89 for the Tank/Pump.
The Overton, NV dealer charges $482.99 and has a link showing that is the actual cost of the part direct from Polaris to the dealer. That's a $109 difference plus an extra sales tax charge on top of that.
I tried checking for the diagnostic blink trouble report. There where no diagnostic codes displayed.

GPER
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby GPER » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:49 am

Are you sure it isn't an electrical problem kicking out the breaker to the fuel pump????? I chased that problem all summer and think I have it solved.

NevadaBob

Postby NevadaBob » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:42 pm

I see the manual says there is a circuit breaker for the fuel pump. Does this automatically reset itself? This might be the problem. But why does it keep tripping if it is the problem?

I messed with the ATV last week and again this weekend. The pump would not start. When I was getting the machine ready to go back to the dealer, yesterday, of course, the pump started working. Every time I turned the key, the pump activated. Last week, it would never come on. Got it to the dealer and was able to start it to unload it.

I'm going to leave it with them for almost a month to have them fix it. However if I can point them to something that is causing this I would like to do so. A circuit breaker or wiring problem seems more likely now. Can't be three fuel pumps in a row within 2 months, and why would it start working again if something went bad with the pump.

Does the circuit breaker reset itself? Wouldn't a diagnostic blink code show up if the breaker was tripped?

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:28 pm

Going back and reading your original post plus the idea of an electrical problem has me thinking that maybe you have a bad ground somewhere or your voltage regulator is not operating correctly, thereby sending way too much juice to these components and burning them out prematurely.

I am assuming the dealer would have done a basic diagnostics run on it and determined that everything was functioning correctly, but that may not be the case. Just seems funny that you lost a pump, then a computer, then another computer and another pump and now you're having pump issues again. To me, that points to an over voltage condition.