Does the Polaris 4wd system work in reverse?

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Rider11x
Is tracking a shipment right now

Does the Polaris 4wd system work in reverse?

Postby Rider11x » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:33 pm

We came back from a good ride with an 800EFI Polaris, and I'm getting intrigued by yhem. We did notice though that when he got hung up on a log, he was spinning all four tires forward, but only two rears going in reverse. He said that it was a safety over-ride in the machine....Is this true?
2006 Grizzly 660 Realtree Hardwoods Camo

www.grizzlyinfo.com

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:34 pm

Yep. You gotta depress the yellow button on the left handlebar to get full power and AWD in reverse.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Rider11x

Postby Rider11x » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:23 pm

Cool! He didn't seem to know much about his quad, so I figured there was something to it. He also told us that there is no CVT belt drive drain on them if you dunk it. I doubt that highly as well. :lol:

www.grizzlyinfo.com

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:28 pm

Plastic screw in plug on the bottom of the belt cover.

Tell him to read thru his owners manual. :)

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Does the Polaris 4wd system work in reverse?

Postby Ken » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:07 pm

Rider11x wrote:He said that it was a safety over-ride in the machine....Is this true?
Yes...it's true...but you can override it, like Kendo said.

If you aren't ready when you hit the throttle in reverse with the yellow button pressed...you WILL fly over the handle bars.

Since 95% you don't need 4WD in reverse...they put a restriction in reverse to keep you from killing yourself.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Rider11x wrote:He also told us that there is no CVT belt drive drain on them if you dunk it. I doubt that highly as well. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy_lG0RDqf4

Watch the last 30 seconds...
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Rider11x

Postby Rider11x » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 am

:lol: Thanks for clearing that up Ken!!! I knew where to come to get my BEST Polaris info!!!!! I am impressed by watching these machines in action, and despite the bad rap they get around my area, I might own one next time around.

www.grizzlyinfo.com

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ToddW » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:43 am

The 800 is a monster :D uses noticeably more gas than the 500 though.

Rider11x

Postby Rider11x » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:36 am

I will say it was no slouch at getting going, and it has two people on it. :)

www.grizzlyinfo.com

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:05 am

Rider11x wrote::lol: Thanks for clearing that up Ken!!! I knew where to come to get my BEST Polaris info!!!!! I am impressed by watching these machines in action, and despite the bad rap they get around my area, I might own one next time around.
I think they have a bad rap among the "mudders", because of the belt. The facts are...The Sportsman model has sold over 1,000,000 units...WAY more than any other machine. That's not on accident.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:07 am

ToddW wrote:The 800 is a monster :D uses noticeably more gas than the 500 though.
For sure....If I know I'm going on the long ride, like Saturday...I definitely do NOT put my thumb into it....all accelerations are smooth. I went 78 miles on one tank, no problem. If I buried it...no way.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Rider11x

Postby Rider11x » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:00 am

As for the mudders, surprizingly, Highlifter.com is sponsered by Polaris as far as having it's own Polaris mud racing team, but the racers are very highly modified machines.
All in all, I do feel that Polaris is building a great machine, even though before I would have never thought that. And, the fact is they are alot more automatic, as in turning on AWD as needed, makes it alot easier for me to have my wife use mine for plowing and such at home here. And with that turf mode, I could use it to pull a pull behind mower for cutting grass as well.
Question: What if you want 4wd to be on for a nasty downhill decent? Is there a way to lock it on for extra engine braking traction, or do you just have to to run the brakes? :?:

www.grizzlyinfo.com

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:58 am

Rider11x wrote:Question: What if you want 4wd to be on for a nasty downhill decent? Is there a way to lock it on for extra engine braking traction, or do you just have to to run the brakes? :?:
The '08 and newer models have "Active Descent Control" and it works in all ranges forward and reverse in AWD. The switch for AWD has 2X4, 4X4 and ADC 4X4. I have seen it in action and I am more than impressed. It will pretty much stop the bike on even the steepest descents.

Rider11x

Postby Rider11x » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:23 am

That is big concern to me, A Polaris may be next for me then.

www.grizzlyinfo.com

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:50 am

Kendo is correct. You can get Active Descent Control on the Sportsman Deluxe models, which started in 2006.

Before that....there's a trick you can do. If you're going down a steep hill...at the crest...put the ATV in reverse and press the yellow button. Jam the throttle to spin the rear tire to engage 4WD, and hit brake not releasing the yellow button. Now put the ATV in Low and continue holding the yellow button. This will force it to stay in 4WD.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director