Light duty receiver hitch

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

GPER
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Light duty receiver hitch

Postby GPER » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:42 am

I wanted a rear recovery point for my Polaris Ranger so I thought I would put a receiver hitch on the back. That way I could use the recovery shackle that I use for my CJ for it also. So off to the steel yard I went today.

I did find out that 2" square stock won't work for a receiver hitch since there is a seam inside. They did have some receiver hitch stock for 8 bucks a foot. So I got a foot and have enough for two now, well it was 13 inches so that is where the 1/2 comes in.

I cut them 6 1/2 inches long, drilled the hitch pin hole 2 1/2 inches in from the end and 1 1/4 inches to the middle of the tube.
[/img]Image

I'm going to cut all is crap off the bottom of the Polaris and weld it on top of the rear suspension. This is just going to be a recovery point and not intended to pull a trailer.

I welded the square stock / receiver hitch to the mounting plate and thought I would throw a hook on there also. I just put one hook on so I had room to install the hitch pin.

[/img]Image

Hook and hitch ready to be installed on the Polaris, notice there is no place for safety chains, that is because this hitch is not for use on the road.[/img]

I need some recovery points on the front, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

GPER

Postby GPER » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:08 pm

I got all the crap cut off the back that way I won't bother the neighbor's early on a Sunday morning.

I'll have this welded on before the rest of the family get up tomorrow.

[/img]Image

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Nice job.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:49 pm

Very clean
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

GPER

Postby GPER » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:55 pm

Thanks guy's, after I cut the gussets off i can see why everyone complains about the frames.
[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/ ... CN2380.jpg[/img]

Maybe it is just me but I would have ran a weld across the gap then braced it. Anyway that was what I did before I welded the plate on.[/img]