TM2 kit INFO!

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Stumppuller
Just opened an account at Cabelas

TM2 kit INFO!

Postby Stumppuller » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:17 am

I noticed some asking about this kit, well I can tell you if you have a Polaris, its a must, I LOVE it, has 3 settings, stiffest is a little much for me but #2 is awesome, I have now 12 inches of ground clearance in the front, got my rad higher up, and my front wheels are now straight, no more counter. The handling is better too as it doesn't sway in the curves anymore. So far so good, mainly got it as I'm putting a plow on this winter so hope it will help from sagging down.
I got mine from Polaris, my dealer and there easy to put in if you know a bit about mechanics, guy that did mine took off the front box after jacking my bike up, and took the pressure off the struts, and was able to take the spring off and install them. Took like an hour and abit to do it.

So for anyone thinking about them, its worth it.

Now I need to figure out a cheap way to fix my sag in the back with 2 people on the bike.
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:24 am

I bought a set, just haven't put them on yet. This is encouraging new though! Thanks!

Maybe a set of springs from a two up would help your sagging rear.

Huh huh huh, I said 'sagging rear'!
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

cajungal64
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby cajungal64 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:18 pm

Kendo wrote:I bought a set, just haven't put them on yet. This is encouraging new though! Thanks!

Maybe a set of springs from a two up would help your sagging rear.

Huh huh huh, I said 'sagging rear'!

Good thing you didn't say it to me or YOUR WIFE!!! :roll:
Lori

Polaris 800 which I bum from the webmaster!!!

[i]If ya gonna run with the big dawgs, you gotta quit pissin' on the porch with the poodles![/i]

Teleskier
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby Teleskier » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:06 pm

I am new to atvs and have an 07 Polaris 500. Can someone enlighten me on how preload adjusters can give more ground clearance?

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:32 pm

It will compress the spring more which will make the front end stand up more which will equal more ground clearence.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:23 pm

What he said....lol.

Basically...if your rear springs are soft...your suspension will be flatter. If it's stiff, it will be less flat, and thus higher clearance.

Look at the rear spring...and you can see the adjuster. It's set stock soft. You need a special wrench and to take off the rear tire. It makes a difference.

Welcome, BTW.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Teleskier

Postby Teleskier » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:07 am

I think there is some confusion about preload as it relates to a bikes springs and ground clearance. I come from a rock crawling world and ride street bikes avidly. Pre load is dialed in to give the correct amount of sag. Sag is the amount the spring compresses with both the weight of the bike, the rider and gear. All springs have a certain amount of total travel. In the case of my 500 I think its 9.5" in the rear. Using the same formula for street bikes and racing, we set our sag at 1/3 of total travel. So for the rear of the 500 that would be approx. 3.2" with rider and gear onboard. If you have more compression than that, you dial in more preload which as you all know makes the springs compress, makes a firmer ride etc. Yes it may make the attitude of the bike (the height of your rack etc)taller, but it does nothing for actual ground clearance.

Ground clearance on the other hand is the distance from the ground to a point we are all concerned with (the differential). This distance is only increased by increasing your overall tire diameter or in the case of my jeep, changing axle housing with a different design.

Is there something I am missing as it relates to ATV with independent suspension?

Just my .02....Mike

Teleskier

Postby Teleskier » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:10 am

As I said, I am new to all of this so please don't take any of my statements personally...(atleast at this point..LOL) If I am all wet, it is out of ATV ignorance.

Can someone tell me if there is a good rule of thumb for SAG on our ATVs that we are using? Is the 1/3 of total travel a good place?

I will be out of town until tomorrow at a sharks hockey game so won't be able to read your comments. Thank you for all the replies in advance.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:20 am

I don't think any of us think on that technical of a level when it comes to adjusting these things. I personally ride by the "seat of the pants" method and it seems to be fine.

The TM2's also help to 'push' the wheel down at a faster rate because the spring is more compressed, which helps on rock crawling trails and even high speed rough roads. Much faster reaction time as opposed to no compression at all. I did notice a little more ground clearance when I put mine in, simply because the spring is compressed and is pushing harder against the wheel to the ground, thus raising the bike somewhat. It's not a lot, but it did take me from a 'stinkbug' looking quad to a much more leveled out quad. Helped with the bottoming out on the front end quite considerably.

Why Poo does not give you an adjustable front preload like they do for the rear, is beyond me. Once you put a winch up front and a little bit of gear, even with stock 25" tires, I was digging the front quite a bit. Now with the TM2's, only the roughest trail or whoop will cause the front end to dig. I upgraded to 26" Big Horns at the same time, so there is an even larger difference clearance wise.

I would highly recommend them to anyone that rides on something other than a graded gravel road. No matter what the conditions, you're going to notice improved handling and not as much scraping.

My $.02

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:57 pm

Kendo....you'll have to show me those.

Teleskier....with the Polaris indy suspension...if your shocks are soft, it will drop the quad in relation to the tires...so your middle, will be lower. If they are stiffer, then the middle will be higher (ie: more ground clearance.)

It's different than if you have a straight axle. There, the only way to get more clearance, is bigger tires.

If you look at this photo. This is after the swaybar disconnect. Notice the right side...the a-arm is almost flat (level). this is soft. If both were like that....your ground clearance, Clarence is less.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:27 am

I disconected the sway bar in the back a couple of times. While the extra travel and softer ride was nice I ended up leaving it conected because I was tired of hitting on rocks all the time.

Teleskier

Postby Teleskier » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:33 pm

Thank guys. It was only minutes after typing the other posts and heading down to the Sharks game that a light came on and I realized the difference between my solid axle and the indy susp. on the quad and why increasing preload will increase ground clearance.

I have some other questions. Not sure if I should start a new thread but the moderators feel they need to move the thread they can.

I have a 3500lb winch on the front with other various acc. in the locked front compartment. Combine that with my weight of 270lbs. I can't help but believe I am over loading those stock springs. They were more than likely designed for a rider of about 160lbs.

I am looking at the HD Highlifter Springs as replacements and while I'm at it, putting these preload adjusters on the front so I can level out my ride so to speak. Has anyone used these springs and can give me some pro's and con's?

Kendo....you said you upgraded to Bighorns..are you running a Polaris? if so, did you have to change rims to get different offset or use spacers so there was no rubbing in the front?

zkeys
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby zkeys » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:39 pm

I have not used the highlifter springs yet but I am looking to install them on my Brute Force soon. I would think the pros and cons would be about the same from the Brute to a Polaris. (despite my solid rear, and a Polaris IRS) I have researched them a good bit and have found some things.
Pros:
-They possibly give you up to 1" of lift, however that is not a guarantee.
-They make it easier for us big boys (I am about 270 as well) to do some faster trail riding. Give it some better handling.
-They compensate for heavier loads ie. winches, skidplates, drunken teenage girls, or anything that would add weight to the ATV.

The only cons that I have heard is that they obviousy stiffen the ride, so they make high speed riding somewhat of a crap shoot. Hit a good bump at high speed and they might cause you to lose control.

Hope this helps a little bit. If I pick these up sometime I will post a review.

Thanks,
Zack
06 Brute Force 650 SRA Green
Dynatek CDI
26" Mud Lite XL's on ITP Series 4

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:00 pm

Yeah, I have an '04 Poo 700. I did go to ITP SS rims with the different offset, but I'm not convinced you HAVE to do that.

I cranked my shocks up a couple notches in the back along with the TM2's, and I only rub occasionally. I too am a member of the 'Big Boy Club' and usually have another 70-100 lbs of gear and accesories on mine. I don't think I would want a stiffer spring, if I do, I'll jsut crank the adjusters up a couple more notches. Seems to be OK for now though.

Teleskier

Postby Teleskier » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:15 am

Well I just ordered the TM2's. Got them for $68 direct. I also ordered the High Lifter HD springs. When I get them on I will let you know how they work.