Questionsfor Ken?

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Stumppuller
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Questionsfor Ken?

Postby Stumppuller » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:09 am

Well I haven't been here for a bit, have a 2007 800Stealth now, got rid of the traxter after almost 9000miles. Hope the Polaris lasts like that. Now to my question,

first, I noticed you had problems with our K/N Filter with dust, do you have the SOCK that goes over it as it is supposed to stop dust. As I am looking into one I don't want to make a mistake. i'd like to get some performance gain and maybe some better gas mileage but not at a cost like plugging the throttle body up.
2nd, Your 2nd 800 with the mudlights, I want to keep my stock rims and don't want to put spacers on it. What sizes are your Mudlites, front and back width too.

Thanks eh
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:30 am

Go for the UNI filter. Ken was running the outer wear (sock) and still getting the build up around the throttle body.
I was told that sock stops water and large particles of dust.
But I'll let Ken answer.. :lol:
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:42 am

I saw it, the K&N was pretty damn dirty after only ONE ride!

The other 800 with the Mudlites is running 27's with about an inch and a half spacer front and rear. They have a nice bulge over the lip of the Poo aluminum rims, unlike the stockers.

For a 27, they are really not much taller than the stock tires, probably equal to a 26" Big Horn.

Maybe Ken can answer and tell you the exact size on the spacer. My guess is - uh, six. LMFAO!!!
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Stumppuller

Postby Stumppuller » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:34 pm

thanks for the air filter info, Ken I'm going to like your take, maybe a UNI would be better then. I don't ride that much dust but we do run back roads that sometimes are really dusty, some family might be in for a surprise as 2 are running 800 polaris's with NO sock on the K/N.

As for the tires.
I don't want to run spacers, was told I could fit 26*9*12 in the front NO problem without rubbing tie rods. Back well I guess I'd be okay with 26*12*12.

What would be better 589's or Mudlites, what would be easier on drive train. I don't want to loose any power or speed.
Thanks
handguards
Uni Air Filter

Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:59 am

Stumppuller wrote:thanks for the air filter info, Ken I'm going to like your take, maybe a UNI would be better then. I don't ride that much dust but we do run back roads that sometimes are really dusty, some family might be in for a surprise as 2 are running 800 polaris's with NO sock on the K/N.

Definitely get the Uni. My throttle body was filled with black crap in it. I cleaned my K&N after EVERY ride and I used the pre-filter.

Stumppuller wrote:As for the tires.
I don't want to run spacers, was told I could fit 26*9*12 in the front NO problem without rubbing tie rods. Back well I guess I'd be okay with 26*12*12.

What would be better 589's or Mudlites, what would be easier on drive train. I don't want to loose any power or speed.
Thanks
Bighorns blow either of those tires out of the water. The 589's are not fun to drive on hard pack...but work great on Rocks/mud. The mudlites, are softer compound, wear out faster than 589.

I don't think you'll be able to run 9" on stock Polaris rims. The Mudlites are 27x9 on the Black/Grey 800, and they rub. Just a TINY BIT...but they rub. You'll have to stick with 8" if you want to keep those Polaris rims.

Consider...Tires/Rims together...COME mounted. If you buy tires, and plan on the original rims...factor in the cost of remounting. It's not all that much cheaper...unless you get a screaming mounting deal.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

GPER

Postby GPER » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:43 am

I bought one of the tire mounting / dismounting things from Harbor Freight for 40 bucks. I took all six of my tires off, patched them, painted the rims and remounted them. It worked ok after I figured out how the thing worked.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:50 am

Cool...that's good to know. Do you have to mount it? or is it free standing. I've only heard about it, never seen it.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

GPER

Postby GPER » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:09 am

You can mount it, but I never did. I did chain it to the back of my jeep to hold it while I broke the beads of the tires.

Looks like I'll stick with the stock air filter also.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:27 pm

GPER wrote:You can mount it, but I never did. I did chain it to the back of my jeep to hold it while I broke the beads of the tires.

Looks like I'll stick with the stock air filter also.
Cool. Thanks.

Filters...Stock work fine...but in California....get VERY expensive. They last only 2..maybe 3 rides tops. $16 bucks every 3 rides adds up. You gotta have a reusable, or you go broke. :)

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

GPER

Postby GPER » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:02 pm

Can't the filter be blown out a few times before it is replaced????? Here in Ohio we only have a couple of months that would be dusty.

Stumppuller

Postby Stumppuller » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:00 pm

My question is, some say that can't be with the sock on, as all the racers run K/N filters in the Baja and look how dusty that is and have no problems with there machines. Any comments on that.
handguards
Uni Air Filter

Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

cajungal64
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

New Forum Suggestion

Postby cajungal64 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:18 pm

I think the almighty web-master needs a new forum called.... DEAR KEN... :lol:
Lori

Polaris 800 which I bum from the webmaster!!!

[i]If ya gonna run with the big dawgs, you gotta quit pissin' on the porch with the poodles![/i]

GPER

Postby GPER » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:32 pm

Stumppuller wrote:My question is, some say that can't be with the sock on, as all the racers run K/N filters in the Baja and look how dusty that is and have no problems with there machines. Any comments on that.
I run the K & N filters on both my Jeeps and have for many years without a problem. Since a Polaris dealer is a 1 1/2 drive just to get there, most likely that will be the way I go.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:08 pm

Stumppuller wrote:My question is, some say that can't be with the sock on, as all the racers run K/N filters in the Baja and look how dusty that is and have no problems with there machines. Any comments on that.

Are you saying Polaris Sportsman's running the Baja use K&N filters?

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director