Hawkeye Tech Tips

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Hawkeye Tech Tips

Postby ACLakey » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:48 am

Kendo and others, do you have a link for Hawkeye tech tips? Looking for clutching info, carb info, max tire size ect. Thanks.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:19 pm

Lemme see what I can dig up as far as links. I did wind up getting a ton of info on the atvconnection forum, just did a search for Hawkeye. There's a guy on there named Ricky something or another that has done some extensive testing and tuning on his.

I drilled the slide, did a dynojet kit and new lighter (12 gram) clutch rollers on my wife's. Made a big difference. I think the clutch rollers being the biggest.

We had a minor issue at elevation the first time out, after the mods, that I can only attribute to something being in the carb (piece of dirt etc) or a flooding issue. We rode over 50 miles the next day without a hiccup.

Still a little light on power, but it's a 300, you can't expect it to have gobs of grunt. The worst was some of the uphills at 7000+ feet, where she could only muster about 17-18 MPH. However, I maxxed out at 30 on the same hill on my 700. So, it is what it is.

I haven't forgotten about the manual, I just keep forgetting to grab it from the shop and burn that copy. :roll:
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:04 am

Here's a discussion mainly about the clutch rollers:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/message ... d1=hawkeye

Another about various mods that different people have tried:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/message ... d1=hawkeye

Some guys are using this versus drilling the air box (a TSB put out by Poo):

http://www.thunderproducts.com/tpi_valve.htm

Couldn't find the pics of the carb slide mod, but it's pretty easy. If you remove the slide from the carb, via the top, turn it over and look, you will see a hole in the bottom. On the opposite side of the slide, there is a small divit where you drill the other hole. It'll be practically a mirror image of the 'stock' hole. I used a 3/32 bit because it was the closest thing I had. It's probably a letter bit or maybe even metric. I think that 3/32 is close enogh though, just match up your bit to the stock hole.

Between that, the clutch roller wiehgts (huge difference) and rejetting, I think your Dad will notice a big difference. I'm looking at one of those TPI valves because it'll be much easier to adjust for altitude versus trying different jets.

Still need to get that manual out to you....

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:21 pm

Figured I'd give you another update. I put my old 25" Goodyears and steel rims on her Hawkeye. Had to do some minor trimming on the front of the rear wheel fender flares, but they fit great! Way more ground clearance and the ride is much better. Power loss is negligible. We're going riding this weekend to try it out.

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ACLakey » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:08 am

I will be upgrading his Hawkeye near the end of the month and replacing a torn CV boot. Neither of us can ride till then, so it will work out well. I will be swaping weights and drilling the slide, I am excited to see the results.

Thanks again for the CD.