SP800 KABOOM!!!

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

SP800 KABOOM!!!

Postby ToddW » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:59 pm

SO... went out to Greenhorn/Red Dog/Wash/Whater you want to call it today.

As I was leaving on the drive back it sounded like rocks were hitting my fender louder and louder... get back to the trucks and everything thinks I'm insane and that it's just rocks, well I drive 100ft down and turn around to see if it does it again and BAM like a gun going off something in the belt covered area broke. No more high gear (I was in low when it happened), I could still move in low but it made terrible sounds so we pushed it on... so I think I broke the "High Gear Belt" if there is such a thing.. I haven't looked in the manual or blown-up-parts view online to see what's in there. Whatever it is it's under 2 months old and should NOT have broken.

Those of you who've been to this area know it's SUPER LOW traction, TINY ROCKS, and nothing out there should hurt one of these. I have under 30 hours on this thing and maintain it very well :-/

Anyone ever delt with this? What's to be epxected or whta's in there?

Thanks
-Todd

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:45 pm

Sounds like you just Broke the Belt. There is only one Belt on the bike..
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

ontherks
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ontherks » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:21 pm

Yep sounds like the belt coming apart, use low more and when ever in 4wd normally. 4wd and high will smoke a belt on mine instantly
'14 XP4 1k

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:54 pm

Thanks for the info guys.

Very rarely have I been in 4WD HIGH. It's normally either High 2WD or Low 4WD. I guess I'll be EXTRA sensitive to keeping it in 4wd LOW only. This past weekend I must say I was in High 2wd 99% of the time.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:31 am

Anytime you're going to strain the belt....Starting up hill, rocks, mud....should be in low.

Be a good shifter, and you're belt will last a long time.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:46 pm

Ken wrote:Anytime you're going to strain the belt....Starting up hill, rocks, mud....should be in low.

Be a good shifter, and you're belt will last a long time.
Yep, I'd be in low all those times. I do occasionaly jet up a big hill out there in 2wd HIGH so maybe that's it?

Ill let you guys know wat they say about warranty or not.

ontherks
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ontherks » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:35 pm

They should cover it, on my sled they covered a few and even on the sportsman, but my first belt actually fell apart. Looked like a bad belt.

They sell a oil change kit with the belt and 2 plugs. That what I get every other oil change. About $70 I think.
'14 XP4 1k

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:14 pm

Belts are like brakes, they need an easy break in. It's not uncommon for them to grenade if they get hammered a few times in the first few outings. Tell us the truth, did you hammer it? I baby mine, so I have to live vicariously through others :lol:
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:53 am

The first probably 3 runs I baby'd it and was in Low pretty often. After it was broken in though I def. hammered on it in High 2Wd up hills, etc. This time I'll break it in even more careful, and use low-range more often.

OnTherks- He said if it broke or the laminent peeled off warranty would cover it but if it hourglassed and shredded it was my problem roasting it.. I told them to save it and show me. No oil change or plugs, I just did the oil a week ago. :)

Never the less I'll be taking a spare belt and the tools to replace it on the trail, it would have SUCKED to have been at Spyder and have had to be towed all the way out. Not that we haven't done that to ppl in jeeps LOL.

-Todd

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:55 am

Oh, and as far as "Jumping" I don't jump this heavy beast really, just go over bumps like in my picture maybe 2ft off in the front and a foot or less in the rear, no throttle landings and on gravel/loose dirt so tires can spin when landing... so I highly doubt it was that that caused it... I see a LOT of ppl doing some insane stuff jumping with these.

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:08 pm

If you use Low range too much the belt will get hot as hell and come apart. 0-15mph MAX in low range! i used to jump the hell out of my SP700 and NEVER had any problems with the belt. When you land you have to be off the throttle. There is a fine line between too much low range and not enough.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:20 pm

Chadd wrote:I used to jump the hell out of my SP700 and NEVER had any problems with the belt.
what he meant was he jumped the customers SP700 and never had any problems
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:27 am

No i use to Jump whos ever Sp 700 i was riding.. Thats better..

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:12 pm

Lol, so apparently oyu just need to know when to be in hi, low, 2wd, and 4wd to save the belt no matter if you can make it in one or another :P

LOL