power mod?

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Spritemaster
Just opened an account at Cabelas

power mod?

Postby Spritemaster » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:37 pm

I've seen guys that install primary clutches( I think that's what they are called) from bigger quads on theirs. I was wondering... what does that do? Does it give more power and torque? Is it hard to do? Is it expensive?

Sprite
96' Polaris TB250, 01' Polaris SP500 H.O.

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ACLakey » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:03 pm

viewtopic.php?t=972

This should get you started.

Spritemaster

Postby Spritemaster » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:19 pm

I'm not very familiar at all with the inter workings of these things just a basic knowledge. And I defenitly don't have a clue about all the stuff they were talking about in that thread. So is there a way that I can get a dumbass run down of the basics of all this stuff. The guy with the 2004.5 500H.O. said that he was getting his front wheels off the ground, I want that kind of power. My dream quad(based off the one I have now) will have some 27" Mud Lites, with the HL lift springs(already installed), and the HL bolt on lift, Full skid/slider plates, monster power,easy accesable winch, wheel spacers, snorkels, and that's about it. My order of things is winch,skid/slider plates( just a couple easy ones for now, then maybe a jet kit, then a big wheel kit with spacers, might go ahead and do snorkels in the spring to, new lift, then just keep adding power mods. Now what will I need to be doing to get my quad where I want it?

Sprite

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:52 pm

800 cc's :)

Getting the 27" tires off the ground with only 500cc, may be a stretch.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:46 pm

Spritemaster wrote:I'm not very familiar at all with the inter workings of these things just a basic knowledge. And I defenitly don't have a clue about all the stuff they were talking about in that thread. So is there a way that I can get a dumbass run down of the basics of all this stuff. The guy with the 2004.5 500H.O. said that he was getting his front wheels off the ground, I want that kind of power. My dream quad(based off the one I have now) will have some 27" Mud Lites, with the HL lift springs(already installed), and the HL bolt on lift, Full skid/slider plates, monster power,easy accesable winch, wheel spacers, snorkels, and that's about it. My order of things is winch,skid/slider plates( just a couple easy ones for now, then maybe a jet kit, then a big wheel kit with spacers, might go ahead and do snorkels in the spring to, new lift, then just keep adding power mods. Now what will I need to be doing to get my quad where I want it?

Sprite
It's the guy with the 2004.5 500H.O.
Did you do the lift kit your self?
Did you install the skidplates?
You could do the 06 primary clutch change.
Or just do as Master Ken said 800cc 8)
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:07 am

The primary clutch is the one from Polaris for the 06 800 model yr. The belt sits lower in the sheaves(closer to center) which is like starting out in a lower gear...less belt slip/more torque less heat. Yes its expensive.

My group does a mix of water crossing, mud, rock/hill climbing the new primary works much better than the original in all conditions.

If you go with a lift kit ...1.5" Max with stock axles and shocks. Anything more and you run the risk of pulling axles out of the diffs and or hubs.There is only a small circlip on each end of the axles(half-shafts) holding them in place. any moderate amount of pressure and they will "pull through" effectively ruining you day. ....(I just went through this on my friends machine..It spent a week in my garage while we tried to install a 2" kit.) I have a 1.5" lift installed with about 750 miles since i installed it with no problems.
This is the one I have installed. Its very well made. I wont preach about it, hes a friend and makes these kits to order. Just remember...stock axles...no more than 1.5"
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/heyher ... .dir=/bbfd

Skid Plates?...Pro Armor...Ken can provide video!! LOL.

Extracting power from the 500...MrBill has the know-how.

But hey, do some research across the net..This whole ATV thing isn't a science..its more of a sickness LOLOL!

BC
Polaris' don't leak oil...They Mark Territory!
[img]http://www.execulink.com/~jesten/header.jpg[/img]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:29 am

Nicely machined stuff there.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Spritemaster

Postby Spritemaster » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:40 pm

I'm not going to buy another quad I don't have the money or the room for something like that right now. I'm not trying to ride wheelies all the time either I just want a good strong quad that doesn't have to many limits(an ocassional wheelie wouldn't hurt though). The lift springs yes I did install my self and that is the only mod I have so far. What is Pro Armor? I really liked your friends stuff.... now just 2 questions. Even though I've already installed the HL lift Springs if I install your buddies lift will that be to much? I checked out the pics. of his quad and it looked big. So I started thinking that if I install that lift with the lift springs I might need to get new axles. Will I? If I don't then all I want to know is how much and how soon. I don't want to seem like the jackass of the site but it seems like I'm doing a pretty good job of it anyway. But all I do is ride, nothing usually ever breaks so there is no reason for me to be tearing into stuff when it's not broke. That's why I don't know anything about this stuff really. But still thanks for the help it means alot.

Sprite

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:53 pm

You read BC's post, right? More than 1 1/2" lift, and you will have to replace your axls at some point.

Gorilla Axles are the only real option. They aren't cheap....when you lift your ATV, you put a lot more strain on them, because of the angles.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:43 pm

My Bad..I should have mentioned the axles themselves...Stock axles are to short after a 1.5" lift. Like i said they will pull the circlips through the splines(at least on the 04 they did) when the suspension is at its max. Also the angles the u-joints and cv joints reach are at the point where things become stressed....seen and heard any stories of twisted/broken U-joints?...If you already have the HL springs, leave it at that. If you want to go higher then as Ken said...Gorilla axles.

BC
Polaris' don't leak oil...They Mark Territory!
[img]http://www.execulink.com/~jesten/header.jpg[/img]

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:25 pm

Gorilla or Monster axles both are good.
You could check with these guys or even just pick up the phone and give them a call. 800# Very helpful.
www.thecvman.com
You just put the High lifter springs on right? Or did you add the High lifter lift kit
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Spritemaster

Postby Spritemaster » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:11 pm

I've only got the lift springs. I just want a good trail quad, an awesome rock quad, and a pretty good mud quad.

Sprite

Spritemaster

Postby Spritemaster » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:00 am

What about jet kits. There not to expensive I could get one of those. Do they make a big difference?

Sprite

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:32 pm

Only if you make altitude changes like we do. I live at 250ft above sea level, but in 30 minutes, I'm at 3000 feet and in 50 minutes, I'm at 6,000 feet.

The stock carb is set for 0-3000 feet. So unless you're going over 3000 feet, it won't matter.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Spritemaster

Postby Spritemaster » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:52 pm

No I'm pretty sure I won't be. I heard a BIg Bear one time that sounded awesome and it had a sticker on the side of it(super jet or something I can't remember) but that made me want one. So what do you think the smartest performance mod would be for me to start out with?

Sprite