need to help a friend

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

woofer700
Just opened an account at Cabelas

need to help a friend

Postby woofer700 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:54 pm

03 sportsman 500 ho, this all started a couple years ago but has gotten worse.
when engaging 4wd, there is a rapid clunking noise up front, the left side front wheel ( as your sitting on it ) doesn't engage all the way, or maybe not at all, this usually happens when your really getting after it, also, when offroed in the black hills, said machine went down with an exploded belt, looks like the engine is moving around a bit, we haven't tore into it yet to find out if it's caused from the front end or two seperate problems. any help?
YOU AIN'T RIDEN, IF YOU AINT WINCHEN.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:13 pm

That's what I was going to say...sure something isn't moving around? Could be the drive shaft, when the mount moves.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

woofer700

Postby woofer700 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:39 pm

we need to buy a book, and start taken things apart, maybe the book has a trouble shoot guide.

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ACLakey » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:41 pm

All I can say is address one issue at a time. If you go about it this way then you know when you have fixed a problem. Good luck

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:49 am

First thing to do is check your Hub Fluid. There is a allan screw on the side of the hub, Take it out and turn it to 3 clock and you should have fluid come out. ONLY use Polaris hub fluid. Sounds like to me you have internal Hub problems.. Any problem in the hubs can be expensive..
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:00 am

Chadd wrote: Any problem in the hubs can be expensive..
What he's saying is come buy a Can-am :lol:
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:32 pm

Chadd wrote:First thing to do is check your Hub Fluid. There is a allan screw on the side of the hub, Take it out and turn it to 3 clock and you should have fluid come out. ONLY use Polaris hub fluid. Sounds like to me you have internal Hub problems.. Any problem in the hubs can be expensive..
is to much fluid in there a bad thing? I know with oil you do not want to overfill, but as the gears are just being run through the fluid and not pumped anywhere, does it matter if there is to much?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:49 pm

MrPolaris wrote:
Chadd wrote:First thing to do is check your Hub Fluid. There is a Allen screw on the side of the hub, Take it out and turn it to 3 clock and you should have fluid come out. ONLY use Polaris hub fluid. Sounds like to me you have internal Hub problems.. Any problem in the hubs can be expensive..
is to much fluid in there a bad thing? I know with oil you do not want to overfill, but as the gears are just being run through the fluid and not pumped anywhere, does it matter if there is to much?
On the older hub type front ends it is very important not to have to much.
This is what Chadd is talking about the 3 clock position.

woofer700

Postby woofer700 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:49 pm

we will start with the belt, loose motor mount, then move to the hub, I really think it's two seperate problems.

woofer700

Postby woofer700 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:14 pm

finally started taking this thing apart, got both front hubs apart, see no damage at all, except the seals are leaking. lota of oil in left side, hardly any in right side, but see no damage.
took cover off belt and belt is gone, split in half and folded. secondary clutch is very dirty, looks like water got in there at some point.
bottom front motor mount looks good but will have to look it over really good.
how do we check clutch alignment?
can we spray carb cleaner on clutches to clean them up?

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:43 am

woofer700 wrote:finally started taking this thing apart, got both front hubs apart, see no damage at all, except the seals are leaking. lota of oil in left side, hardly any in right side, but see no damage.
took cover off belt and belt is gone, split in half and folded. secondary clutch is very dirty, looks like water got in there at some point.
bottom front motor mount looks good but will have to look it over really good.
how do we check clutch alignment?
can we spray carb cleaner on clutches to clean them up?
There is a tool for clutch alignment. I don't have one. Perhaps your dealer would let you barrow it for a day.

Carb cleaner will work but it may eat up your front seal on the motor behind the drive clutch. I use warm water with soap. blow dry with air gun.

You can put carb cleaner on a rag and wipe the left over belt off the shivs (pulleys)

woofer700

Postby woofer700 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:50 pm

I doubt our dealer would let anyone borrow anything, heck you can't even test ride a quad, just look and pay.
to take the secondary clutch off just take out center bolt, and slide it off?
just like a snowmobile I would guess.

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:36 am

You got it on the secondary 8)

woofer700

Postby woofer700 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:05 pm

kinda started everything at the same time, got the seals done on one side, will do the rest when we have time, this looks like an easer fix than we thought, but after we pit it all togather a test ride will tell, atleast we have snow to give the 4wd a worken.

woofer700

Postby woofer700 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:54 pm

got everything put back togather, still have same prob. clicks or ratchets, when in 4wd, hard on the gas, turning either direction. had one axle apart, looked good, but boot was tore, got that fixed. other axle was not taken apart, boot looked good. put new belt on, that part of quad works good, kinda stuck.