K & N filter

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

K & N filter

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:48 pm

Not ATV related directly....but about 6 months ago...maybe more..I put a K&N filter in my Hemi Truck.

Well...I decided to clean it....and I was shocked. It was black, with greasy dirt. So I sprayed it 3 times and finally got it clean. Put it back in....and I was amazed the difference. The power difference was like a new car.

The filters definitely rule.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:05 pm

Interesting...... You'd think you'd have the same type of issues as the EFI Polaris quads and oil filters...... :wink:
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:52 pm

I've used K&N filters in a 92 AstroVan 95 Grand-am 02 Silverado and an 05 Jimmy and never had any issues(clean them once a year) Thats why ya threw me for a loop with the "dont use K&N with your EFI Polaris"

I know K&N says soak the filter for your atv...maybe thats the problem, The filter will only hold so much oil and if you over-do it then the rest that bleeds out causes problems.

BC.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:14 pm

lol..... Weird huh..... :roll:
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:45 pm

Yeah..I'm baffled by this whole K&N / EFI thing. It doesn't really make any sense, unless you did have the filter just wallowing in K&N fluid.

And if you think about it.....You draw a small bead down the outside edge. In order for it to be a "problem", the fluid would have to be pulled through from the outside of the filter, to the inside.

And pretty quickly, it's dispersed so you don't even see the bead line.

Steve runs his EFI with K&N, btw. Haven't noticed any problems.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:57 pm

I have one on my quad and in my truck. have used them for years in my vehicles.....yeah..a cleaning makes a huge difference
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:58 pm

unless you did have the filter just wallowing in K&N fluid.
Maybe that's it..... Overkill.... Just like drinking. One beer makes you feel good so two beers must make you feel "real" good...... Until of course you end up like Chuck Morrill..... saturated. lol..... (ball buster). roflmao....

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:53 pm

LOL...saturated. Totally an inside joke.

Saturated: When you have the courage to BA your boss after not paying attention during a meeting (while you're still looped)

Lucky: Only getting sent home for the day after BA'ing your boss after showing to work still looped.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

ontherks
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ontherks » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:21 pm

K&N may be good on a gas, But don't use them on a Diesel there are alot better filters for them. AFE for example. The drop in K&N dusted alot of 7.3 Powerstrokes from no sealing properly. There is a page somewhere where they did test on lot of filters. And K&N flowed alot of air but it also was among the top in letting dirt thru too. On thedieselstop.com there should be a link about it somewhere.
'14 XP4 1k

Damn Yankee
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby Damn Yankee » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:12 pm

I ran a K&N on my 02' Duramax with nothing but great results. Plan on changing over the 06' when 15k comes up. I run them on all the Harley's. I like em'......just my 2 cents.
2004.5 SP700 Carb, 2006 LT3 CC/LB D/A LB, 87'FXST, 83FLHT, 63DuoGlide

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:50 pm

Some of the stuff you see and read is hype and statistics. True the extra oil can get into the airflow sensor and screw up the efi, but if you follow directions on the filters it won't be a problem. Again, follow directions and use enough oil and you won't be ruining engines due to dust and dirt getting by. I've seen people take foam filters and install them from the box without pre-oiling, despite warings all over the box. These same people clean them then put them back in bare because the oil is messy :shock: . Alot of the failures and horror stories are probably these same people.

I saw some dyno results for OE filters vs Aftermarket and there really isn't that much difference in HP numbers with either. Now I'm sure that KN can make the Dyno show different. From my experience the big perfomance differnce is a month after the filter has been in use, the OE will start to get sluggish while the aftermarket will continue to flow better, until it get's like Ken's.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Damn Yankee
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby Damn Yankee » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:55 pm

I agree completely. Too much oil shows very quickly, I guess like anything else, moderation is best. Been using K&N for cost reduction, not really for HP gains
2004.5 SP700 Carb, 2006 LT3 CC/LB D/A LB, 87'FXST, 83FLHT, 63DuoGlide

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:23 pm

Larry is God.

That's exactly it. I don't have K&N for ATV or Truck for HP...it's to save $$.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director