Helmet Choices

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Dennis
Is tracking a shipment right now

Helmet Choices

Postby Dennis » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:31 pm

When my wife and I got our new quads, we couldn't agree on helmets. I got a full face moto-x style. My wife got a small "Harley" style helmet. Now I'm re-thinking our decisions. I really do not like not being able to get a quick drink with the full face helmet. It is doable, but it sure is a pain. The Harley helmets make goggle selection more challenging. I think the old style Bell helmets that are open in the front might be better for us. We'll be adding the Collett radios also.

Does the added mouth/chin protection on a full face helmet really help out for slower speed trail riding.

Does anyone else use the old school style helmets I'm talking about?

This is the old school helmet I'm talking about.

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:43 pm

I had the Harley style then went to the full face...... The full face is inconvenient.... Yes. Can it save your life..... Absolutely.

Nothing like rolling a quad at relatively slow speeds and getting a broken jaw. I can't imagine the time needed in learning how to talk once again...

Just my thoughts.....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:21 pm

Dennis I'm using an open face and have been for some time. I bought mine for riding Trials. On top of making it difficult to get a drink, the closed face reduces your visibilty, primarily straight down. Since I was using it for Trials I wanted as clear a view as possible, so it was an obvious choice.

With that said I'm starting to think the closed face and goggles may be a better choice for the quad. After seeing the Collett radio install on Ken's helmet I think that's the way to go. The closed face would surely keep the wind from activating the mic, Ken says the wind isn't an issue on either helmet. With an MP3 player plugged into the Collett it would be a hot set up.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:17 pm

With an MP3 player plugged into the Collett it would be a hot set up.
Just got an MP3 player.... All I need to do now is find someone with enough music to fill 4 gig. Anyone out thereeeeeee.............??
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:21 pm

What they all said.

Yes...an open face is more "convenient".... but I don't wear a helmet to be more convenient. I wear it to keep my head together and my full face is hopefully to reduce any dental work.

To say you're ALWAYS going to go slow trail riding....is noble....but not realistic. At some point...you're going to hit the gas and on a quad...20MPH feels REALLY SLOW....but would hurt like hell if you hit the dirt.

No guarantee it won't be chin first.

I would NEVER let my kids ride with an open face...so why would it be a good idea for me?

I'd never lecture anyone...Larry had one....but I wouldn't personally wear one.

Ever see a motocross guy with an open face?

Didn't think so.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:30 pm

I think it's pretty simple if you like your face and want to keep it that way go full face. yes it is a pain to get a drink, I use a camel back for my water most of the time so getting water now is a cinch...

DAVE