Sportsman Reverse Light Hookup

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Sportsman Reverse Light Hookup

Postby Thrasher » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:52 pm

I found this info on another board, I do not remember where, I take no credit nor do I know the accuracy of the info. (not that i have reason to doubt it!)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Sportsman Reverse Light Hookup

THEY HAVE REMOVED THE REVERSE ACCESORY WIRE ON THE 04 MODELS. AND THEREFOR THIS WILL NOT WORK ON THEM. I AM WORKING ON A SOLUTION

To hookup a reverse light (see note) that is actuated when the gear selector is put in reverse is very simple and I personally use a 55watt halogen, which causes no electrical problems whatsoever.

After installing your light in the appropriate location connect the positive wire to an appropriate size fuse and then directly to the battery (works even if ignition is off) or to the red/white (works only if ignition is on) spade connecter located right beside the purple one. The ground wire is then connected to the purple wire located under the hood (not the pod). This purple wire terminates in a female spade connection and is specifically for reverse accessories. Once you have removed the hood, it will be located on the right hand side when you are facing the quad.

This mod works by taking advantage of a switched ground when reverse is selected and that Polaris has provided. In other words you are making the ground contact when you select reverse gear and the light comes on. Enjoy

IMPORTANT
Polaris has changed the wiring on the newer models. 03's work exactly as described but the older models work off of a switched 12v purple wire as opposed to a switched ground. Before making any connections on an older model, use an ohm meter and check to see if your purple wire gets ground or 12v with the ignition key in the on position and the transmission in reverse. If it gets 12v you simply hook up the purple wire to the reverse light positive and the ground to the reverse light negative. These model will not have the purple female spade connection and you will have to splice into the purple wire to get the 12v.

NOTE:
Some aux lights come with a wire that connects the bulb ground to the mounting bracket. If your light is like this you will need to remove/cut the wire so that if you screw it to the frame it will not ground and come on. Other models are all metal and you will have no choice but to mount it so that the bracket is insulated from grounding. You want the ground to be controlled by the switched purple wire. Personally I prefer using lights that have a plastic housing because they do not rust up and the grounding to frame is not an issue.

If you have an older model where the purple wire is switched 12v, this can be a benifit since grounding will be done automatically by screwing it to the frame and you will not need to add a ground wire.
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]