Reverse Mod

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Reverse Mod

Postby Thrasher » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:41 pm

I found this on another board, I do not remember where, I had it saved into a text file.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and for the revese mod
Open the hood of your machine and on the upper right hand side you will find the wires that I will refer to. Locate and cut the gray/orange stripe wire which goes from the over ride button to the speedo. Tape off the cut ends as these will no longer be used. You have just bypassed the reverse rev-limiter. Locate the three purple wires that terminate with a female spade type connector. (this connector is not connected to anything and will be just hanging there waiting for somebody to connect a reverse light to it) Of the three purple wires, find the one that goes to the override button and cut it off as close to the spade connection as possible. Locate the gray/white stripe wire and splice a 6" piece of wire to it with a male spade connector crimped to the other end. ( make sure your splice is well insulated as there will be power through it). Locate the red/white stripe wire (ignition activated power) which ends with a female spade connector. ( this connector is not connected to anything and is just hanging there waiting for somebody to connect an accessory to it ) Take the 6" male connector on the wire you just installed and plug it in to the red/white stripe female connector.

Congratulations you have just bypassed the reverse AWD override. If you want to hook up a backup light ( that functions when the bike is put in reverse ) simply connect the positive lead of your backup light to the purple lead with the female connector on it that is waiting for a backup light. Then ground the negative light lead to a brown wire ( ground ) or frame of the bike.

If you want to install an accessory that requires a momentary power on switch (horn) simply connect its positive lead to purple lead that you had previously cut off and its negative lead to a brown wire or frame of the bike. If you do not connect the purple lead to any thing make sure you tape it up as there will be power coming through if you push the override button.

The powering of the gray/white is what makes the shifter lights work properly
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:43 pm

2 Reverse Override/Rev Limiter Bypass Instructions

THESE INSTUCTIONS WILL NOT WORK ON THE 04 MODELS.

Polaris has incorporated a safety feature on all their 4wd models. This feature, which is operational all the time when reverse is selected, will limited engine power and cut out the front wheel drive unless you push the "override" button.

One of the main reasons you would want to do this mod is because when you get stuck and the only way out is reverse, it is impossible to pull the ATV backwards while applying throttle AND pushing the override button. It is also very helpfull when you use your ATV to plow and need 4wd every time you back up with the weight of the plow hanging off the front.

This mod will give you 4wd and full power when in reverse without having to push the override button. This is for all Polaris Sportsman models with the new style speedo (2003) and Sp700, 02. Continue down below for pre 03 model instructions.

The problem with the new style, is that the function button for the speedo is combined with the override button and it is not as straight forward as the old style speedo. Doing it this way everything works, as it should, exactly the way it did before the mod.

The nicest thing about this mod is that you do not need to cut any wires or drill any holes.

You will need to purchase a standard 4 pin, 12v relay, 4 pieces of 16 gauge wire about 8" long, 4 female crimp on spade connectors (for connection of wires to relay), and 4 wire splice connectors. (they are usually blue and you simply insert the wires and squeeze with pliers, then fold back the protective locking cover)

Open the pod and locate the wiring harness coming from the speedo.

Relay terminal #30 connects to Polaris brown wire
Relay terminal #87 connects to Polaris wire gray/orange
Relay terminal #86 connects to Polaris wire red/white
Relay terminal #85 connects to Polaris wire purple.

Use dielectric grease at all electrical connections to prevent corrosion in the long run or even better, liquid tape.

To test, simply put it in reverse with the engine running, if the speedo flases the word "SLOW" (just like it did before the mod, when you pressed the override button) you did everything correct. Enjoy

Trace wires from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange) Cut the gray/orange and tape up both ends. Cut the gray/white and tape up the end which goes to the override button. Connect the other end of the gray/white to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v) You will also need to trace the purple wire which comes from the handlebars and simply cut and tape both ends. Done deal.
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:24 pm

All of those are really interesting.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

jack whelen
ATV Obsession Rider

Reverse Mod

Postby jack whelen » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:40 pm

Just did the mod today works great .Now I wont have to hold that darn button in when I'm stuck. I had to use the relay . Pretty simple to do.
Montana Jack
[i]"If it ain't broke don't try to fix it."[/i]

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:38 am

so now that you disabled the reverse governor, r u afriad of going to fast down a hill in reverse? this did not disable the Engine braking does it?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Reverse Mod

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:09 am

jack whelen wrote:Just did the mod today works great .Now I wont have to hold that darn button in when I'm stuck. I had to use the relay . Pretty simple to do.
Awesome. I was wondered how tough it was going to be.

Now I wonder what will happen when you do the Locking 4 Wheel EBS trick....

Wait till you see Jack's new Skid plates....PURTY.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:24 pm

PURTY
Yeah they are.... :D
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

jack whelen
ATV Obsession Rider

Reverse Mod

Postby jack whelen » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:16 pm

Everything functions the same .It wont have an effect on the EBS because its only on in reverse. When you put it in reverse the speedo reads slow like it would when pressed the button. The override button still functions for the hour,trip,and maint functions.
Montana Jack

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:23 pm

No...I mean the trick to turn 4WD on the EBS...you know...wheel spin, hold the button.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:15 pm

wheel spin
You want wheel spin... Get a Honda.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:41 am

Touche

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

jack whelen
ATV Obsession Rider

Reverse Mod

Postby jack whelen » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:14 pm

The awd trick will work the same 2wd spin in reverse and engage clutch then put in awd on .
Montana Jack