Gas Packs....

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:20 am

Ken, just watch your rack and frame carefully for cracks/breaks. For our long trips in the desert, all of my buddies and myself used to carry the fuel off the back like that and over time, almost all of us either broke the rack or the ATV frame where the rack mounts. We had some pretty well designed and gusseted set ups and the leverage and shaking take thier toll. And that has been on nearly every brand of Quad made.

With love as always, Lizard
Rincon that's dialed in.

BradM
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby BradM » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:32 pm

Lizard wrote:Ken, just watch your rack and frame carefully for cracks/breaks. For our long trips in the desert, all of my buddies and myself used to carry the fuel off the back like that and over time, almost all of us either broke the rack or the ATV frame where the rack mounts. We had some pretty well designed and gusseted set ups and the leverage and shaking take thier toll. And that has been on nearly every brand of Quad made.

Yep, Lizard is right. If you guys want to hang stuff off the back of your ATVs it better be light fluffy stuff like jackets and raingear. On an expedition trip last year or the year before, a guy I know had his Bomb outfitted with nice home made racks sticking out off the back, and carrying a flatpack in it, plus the machine was loaded all over with camping gear for overnight. It looked slick, and dialed in. On day four, his machine started looking like it was undergoing cellular division; the rear half of his machine looked like it wanted to drop off and be its own quad. The frame had broken in four places. End of trip for him.
http://www.intrepidexplorers.org/

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:16 am

Lizard wrote:Ken, just watch your rack and frame carefully for cracks/breaks. For our long trips in the desert, all of my buddies and myself used to carry the fuel off the back like that and over time, almost all of us either broke the rack or the ATV frame where the rack mounts. We had some pretty well designed and gusseted set ups and the leverage and shaking take thier toll. And that has been on nearly every brand of Quad made.
Thanks Lizard and Brad
I think you are talking to me about the new gas can racks I made.
My mount is set-up on the upright that the rear rack mounts to.
I used 1/4" steel plate and I drilled out the top four open holes to 1/2" using four 1/2 bolts along with 1/2" barrel nuts to stand it off past the rear rack. Seem to be very vibration free. I see what you are talking about.
Were you guys holding 5 gall. cans or even the smaller cans that I have mounted?
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:28 am

OK now I'm outside looking for more places to brace my new mount.
That New Sportsman X2 is looking even better.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

boxcar
Wears Teal Eddie Bauer clothes

Postby boxcar » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:43 pm

I always thought one of those plastic outboard motor tanks would work good , you could use the bulb primer to fuel yourself or your buddies up. They are made to be strapped to a flat surface and are easily refilled. Youdont have to uproot all of your gear to get it off your rack to use it like the flat pack. They come in many different sizes too.
2001 Honda Rubicon
Maxxis Bighorns (bias-ply)
Warn 2500 multi-mount
Detroit gearless locker