New camera

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

New camera

Postby hemingray » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:33 pm

Well, my favorite little Canon (SD950) has an issue - the left side of the pictures it takes are blurry. You can see it in most of my recent shots.

Since it's a little on the old side (2007!), I decided it's time to get something new for travel. After a lot of angsting and tons of reading, and I finally chose the Olympus XZ-1. It's a very cool camera! Bigger than the Canon, it sports features that are closer to a DSLR with up to full manual control, along with the automatic stuff that point and shoots are good for. I wanted something good enough to take travelling when I don't want to lug the DSLR and lenses along.

ImageImage

So far, I really like it! Here's a shot from the other morning when some clouds went through. It captured the feeling of the sky perfectly.

Here's some excellent detail:

Here's another shot that impressed me - the detail with the glow of the neon in daytime was really cool. (often, cameras render this kind of thing as flat and lifeless)

I compared it against the Canon S95 (has well-documented lens issues) and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5, which was a VERY close second. I liked the image quality of the Oly just a little more. It's definitely an "enthusiast" camera - suited for someone who wants to do more than point and shoot.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Re: New camera

Postby EigerMike » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 pm

sounds like a nice camera! cant wait for some new pics! :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

hemingray

Re: New camera

Postby hemingray » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:12 pm

It's not allowed to go out on the dusty bumpy trails yet until I can think of a way to carry it without the excessive jostling and dust. The little Canon is still in use, and I think I'm going to get it fixed and keep carrying it. For now anyway, Canon rules the ATV road... :-/

BTW - fair disclosure: despite the "HD" on the face of it, the vids on it pretty much suck. But I didn't buy it for video, so I don't much care. It's adequate, and it will work for me.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS