Tie-Rods

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

KTM265
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Tie-Rods

Postby KTM265 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:43 pm

Ken...I'm not 100% sure what your advertising rules are so I'm not going to mention any company names. I manufacture tie-rods for several companies that are especially designed for the heavier 4X4 ATVs and larger sport ATVs. I'm constantly searching websites and forums for information on other makes and models...I own several Kawasaki and actually race my V-Force in MX racing. I found that to be one of the best testing grounds for heavy duty parts...Landing a 550 lbs plus machine on a 70 foot jump tends to weed out the weak parts... :wink: So if anyone is looking to improve tie-rods for your machine, I'm looking for Polaris, AC, Honda owners...really any brand. I can't buy every machine out there to so any help is appreciated with sizes and measurements...

Ken, here is a link to a picture of what I make, feel free to remove the link if you feel it's advertising...I'm really looking for information on different models so I can make them available to all...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/165 ... 7814RWOnVR

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:23 am

They look beefy.....

Someone asked me about them...Granted...we TOTALLY abuse ours on boulders and such....none of us have had a problem. I could really see in races or long jumps that they could be tweaked.

Is that the typical application that you make them for??

As for advertisements....if I had 1000 people on line...I'd be more sensitive to it....but I don't and don't want to either. We're just a bunch of friends who ride and give each other grief. For us...it's information.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

KTM265

Postby KTM265 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:58 pm

Thanks Ken...Actually I got into these because I along with many others were just bending rods to easily...non-racing applications. I race so I designed them to withstand the stresses that I put on them...Guys who put larger rims/wheels might consider them. More of a preventitive build for safety then anything else. I strong feel there are 2 things that should always be perfect and very strong on on ATVs...brakes and steering. Both keep you under control...

RobG
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby RobG » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:19 am

My biggest concern with replacing weak parts with stronger ones is the strength of associated parts... e.g. replace tie rods with beefy ones and you risk damaging tie rod ends instead... which are more costly to replace.

I'm all for better parts, but only if they all work together. It's why I just shake my head when people talk about a "weak" stock bumper on some ATVs... yeah, it's because if it was stronger, it'd risk damaging the frame.

Rob
'09 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 EPS
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS
'02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
'05 Arctic Cat M7 153

'05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
'06 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:25 am

Just like Jeeps.

Put on 38" tires....now you need more power....that means you need bigger differentials. Put on bigger Diff's....now your transfer case is weak link...

It's all or nothing.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

KTM265

Postby KTM265 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:58 pm

Yes and no...If you go to larger tire sizes or do more extreme riding, yes...I would recommend bumping up your steering parts...You have 2 things on that machine that keep you in control...steering and brakes. Everything else makes it go or ride better.