GMRS RADIOS WITH ???

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

blm510
Is tracking a shipment right now

GMRS RADIOS WITH ???

Postby blm510 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:36 pm

I"ve been looking at GMRS radios and helmet mic or throat mic just wondering if and what you use. I looked into marine radios but I found you can get some large fines if you get caught. Just what do you use.

B
07 Brute Force 750

Ken's700

Re: GMRS RADIOS WITH ???

Postby Ken's700 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:58 am

Check out the Chatterbox system.
http://www.chatterboxusa.com/cbx1btfkit.html

I have not tried these but they look like something worth checking into.
They are $350 each for this model, $280 without the bluetooth.

They have GRMS and Bluetooth with A2DP/AVRCP for your smart phone.

Quads No More :(

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Just so ya know - GMRS is a licensed service also. It's not a free-for-all. Some GMRS channels are shared with FRS frequencies.

I "get" the Chatterbox idea (phone interface etc.) for road bikes, but it seems like expensive overkill for ATV riding... :-)
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken's700

Postby Ken's700 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:36 pm

Maybe a little overkill...
But fun!

I have been reading they are considering getting rid of the liscense requirement for the GRMS.
Maybe just lower the fee to a reasonable one and then they might get some revenue.

You know how our govenment loves money :mrgreen:

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:01 pm

The FCC seems directionless - they can't decide what they regulate.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:00 pm

I have a radio with gmrs on it, it did mention you may need a license on the first set up.. But then its says would you like to continue.. why yes I would :twisted: . I have never used it much but its on a gps / radio I have. All I know is you can extended it's range by a significant amount with it. When I got this they where considering the license thing as well and that was several years ago so I wouldn’t hold my breath on that. I so far have only carried it for emergencies, and if the FCC wants to fine me after I get rescued for using that band so be it.
The last trip I was on there was several people with radios it seemed nice but most had an auto voice thing so if you talked it transmitted. I would have to change my riding style for that.. I talk way to much to my self and would drive people crazy. Its usually just short 1-2 word expletives or heehaw, or way to go, or that was smooth / stupid / nice. I edit all these out in my videos or bump up the music to cover it (and god forbid if you hear me singing along to the music im playing). Also when ever I get in a close call or think I did I always start laughing, or chuckling which I'm sure others on the radio would be wondering about.

Also I don’t want to have random conversations when riding around or even listen to them to distracting also im sure there would be some chatty Kathy’s (im one but not when riding). If it was kept simple like, hay take a left, or that puddle coming up is actually 3 feet deep watch out, or there’s a eagle/bear/big horn/ over there

Though it would be great to just keep riding instead of stop / checking for people.
09 can-am renegade

Ken's700

Postby Ken's700 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:25 pm

Another option is an MURS radio, they are license free

http://www.amazon.com/MURS-Hand-Two-Way ... B0002XRPNA

The M538-HT is a hand held MURS transceiver that will receive alert signals from the MURS AlertTM transmitter and also can be used for two way voice communications between other MURS transceivers. The HT has 5 channels and 38 sub channels to help you communicate with other users. The M538-HT is powered by a 6 rechargeable AA batteries (included) that will last for about 40 hours on a charge. The HT is capable of communicating over distances of several miles*. The FCC also allows you to use MURS without a license. Although other radio services require a license, MURS is license free. When an alert signal is received from the MURS AlertTM transmitter the HT will sound off with the voice of the alert signal and will also display an alert icon as a visual display that an alert signal has been received. This has many different applications for small businesses, farms, security guards, outdoorsmen. Anyone who needs to have real time monitoring and two way voice communications will benefit from MURS. *Actual range will vary depending on the local terrain.

Ken's700

Postby Ken's700 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Another informative site. It looks a little older like it isn't updated too often.
But worth looking at.

http://www.ultimatefrs.com/

There is a radio with texting and mp3

blm510

Postby blm510 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Hey Guys that's what I wanted to hear. I had'nt heard of MURS radios I"ll have to look in to that.
Also online I heard FCC was thinking of doing away with the licence for gmrs probably like the CB they cant police the # of people using it W/O a Licence.

thanks

Mr Green
Dose your ridding style let you talk to yourself just remember your only crazy if you answer yourself.

My problem is when the two sides wont quit arguing :)
07 Brute Force 750

doulos
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby doulos » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:39 pm

It's pretty darn easy to get a no code tech ham radio license. Then you can use some quality equipment!

Not much bigger than a pack of smokes this radio also can link through repeaters. Nice to have if you need help and can't use a cellular!

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=Di ... Archived=0

Get your riding buddies together and tackle the license together. Just a thought. :mrgreen:
Silver 2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE
Diablo Beadlocks w/ Pit Bull Growlers
Warn XT-30 w/ Remote
Garmin GPSMAP 62St
Moose F/R Bumpers
Ricochet Skid Plates
Plano 1510 ATV Box
Maier Hand Guards
2" Receiver
ODI Grips
Rigid D2's
RotoPax

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Nice radio, but you can go a lot cheaper than that for basic use (like Yaesu's FT-60R). You probably won't use the 2 extra bands, the 900 channels and a whole lot of the other stuff (unless you are truly a radio hobbyist).

Bear in mind that if you go the amateur/ham route, there are a certain number of legalities that you will need to respect. The business radios don't have that many users and nobody will yell at you for misusing it like hams will... :-)

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:05 pm

hemingray wrote:Bear in mind that if you go the amateur/ham route, there are a certain number of legalities that you will need to respect. The business radios don't have that many users and nobody will yell at you for misusing it like hams will... :-)
Where you would use it? Not a problem. Don't forget...what you are talking about..."lecturing, etc" would only happen on a repeater. Talking Simplex in the mountains...it's just like using a more powerful FRS radio...Scott and I don't even give our call signs...the likelyhood of someone being on your channel and within range to "lecture" would be EXTREMELY remote.

I've used radios on the quads....they have their place....it's difficult to find one that does everything. Previously, we had PUSH TO TALK radios. The PROBLEM IS.....the radio is generally on your quad....but you are independent of your quad....so the button is on the handle bars...but you need speakers in the helmet and a cable from you to the radio. If you depart your quad quickly, or need to jump off to help someone.....consider it broken...I broke a bunch....forgetting and yanking it apart.

We eventually went with the Collett Radios....The radio, Mic and speakers are all on your helmet....so jumping off and on..no problem. They were Voice Activated...and worked great....but the range was pretty short...about a mile at best. But rock crawling, you generally aren't that far apart....trail riding? Forget it....you have to pretty much see each other.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/