how to mount a winch

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

how to mount a winch

Postby MrPolaris » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:59 pm

I have all my equiment to mount my winch and I found that my instructions are missing. . . So. . . anyone know how?

I also noticed that there was some wires that were pre-wired, Main power and ground). should I use these or would you guys reccomend using ones that were connected directly to the battery?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:26 am

Jack's the one to ask. We've installed 3 winches together....I usually do the installation....and Jack did the wiring.

To actually install the winch...on the 2002-2004, you basically have to take apart the front end. No clue on the 2005.

Steve..er Eddie...wasn't a cheap ass...he just paid $25 to have his installed.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken's700
Is tracking a shipment right now

2005 700/800 EFI Warn 2500 mount know how

Postby Ken's700 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:50 pm

I did two of these by myself, on my two 2005 700 EFI's.
What do you want to know. Just ask... :D

Ken
Quads No More :(

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:25 pm

I called the dealer and sicne I got my winch from someone else they want to charge me 75 to put it on, so am doing it myself. . . I ot my whole front end off. . .

now I need to figure out how to wire it. I have pre-wired the battery leads. Should I use these or should I run new ones that will allow me to connect directly to the battery for more power?

then where should I connect my solonoid?

From there I have suspect I come into the solonoid and then out of hte solonoid into the winch. I have the controls fro the remote control and for my rocker switch, which I can figure out later I hope. . .

So my question is where on the 2005 did you install the solonoid and what wires did you use to connect the solonoid to the power?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken's700
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Ken's700 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:47 pm

The solenoid mounts under the right fender. there is a plate there with two bolts and one wire harness holder connected to it.
The pre wired power cables are what you want to use. These are already routed to where to mount the solenoid mounts.
Feed the winch power cables to the solenoid. be sure to watch how these cables rub against the radiator or other parts of the quad.
The in/out control switch goes through the high beam housing and feeds down to the front access inside the front cargo box.
The wire with the clear cover connects to the orange wire with white stripe.

That wire should have a black shrink wrap on it. That is the one to connect to. Besure to place the clear cap open down so that it drains out if water gets inside.
The other wire from the winch control switch goes to the solenoid to conect to it's plug. Be sure to mount the solenoid so that this conection points to the rear of the quad. There is three bolts(two are the same length, one longer-for the new batterybolt) two split ring washers and two nylock nuts. The shorter bolts, split reing washers and bolts, bolt the opposite corners of the solenoid to the mounting plate.

All of this is from memory, but I do have the installation paperwork if you need more info.
Thanks for converting to the Polaris_Honda_man

Ken
Quads No More :(

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:53 pm

ok, got it all mounted and I have my switch working, but I cannot get my wireless controller to work. I am going to have to play with that some more. I ended up mounting my solonoid at an angle, and then read somewhere I need to mount this at a level service, so I think I need to re-do this. I will need to drill a couple of holes I think to mount it level as the location where the mount plate sits now there are no corresponding holes.
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .