underbody armor

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

underbody armor

Postby MrPolaris » Tue May 17, 2005 10:47 pm

I am going to build some underbody skid plates for my quad here this weekend and next. I am not sure what type of metal I should get, or where to get it?

I was thinking about going to the local sign post and taking the sign. . . was in reality looking for some light weight, but strong metal, I think Larry and jack made some for their quads. . . any info would be greeatn
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Tue May 17, 2005 11:21 pm

Remember when they used to make things out of toothpicks?

or.... What were those snap together blocks called?

or.... Can you say lincoln logs.... Ya see... it all relative. When you own a boat anchor..... Nobody cares.

God.... I killed you AGAIN..... life is sweet.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed May 18, 2005 7:11 am

Mr. Miyagi wrote:Remember when they used to make things out of toothpicks?

or.... What were those snap together blocks called?

or.... Can you say lincoln logs.... Ya see... it all relative. When you own a boat anchor..... Nobody cares.

God.... I killed you AGAIN..... life is sweet.
Leave it to Terry to give a smart ass answer. . . I guess that just means he is jealous that my rig will soon be in a state that will make his look like a kids toy. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed May 18, 2005 7:14 am

Email Jack...I think he uses 3/8 Steel....but not sure.

You're up early...it's 11:15PM on Wednesday here.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed May 18, 2005 8:01 am

Ken wrote:Email Jack...I think he uses 3/8 Steel....but not sure.

You're up early...it's 11:15PM on Wednesday here.
Will have to email him. I think I can find his email lurking around my inbox somewhere. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed May 18, 2005 11:42 am

I think he uses 3/8 Steel....
Don't do that...... It will double the weight of your quad..... lol.

BTW - I think it's 3/16".
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed May 18, 2005 11:49 am

Mr. Miyagi wrote:
Don't do that...... It will double the weight of your quad..... lol.

BTW - I think it's 3/16".
Where would you get this type of metal at? both 3/8 and 3/16 seems like a thick metal. would think that 1/8 would be more realistic, but then again I drive a honda, what do I know. . . NOT. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ACLakey » Wed May 18, 2005 1:31 pm

I would highly reccomend UHMW. Here is a post I made from another board.

Has anybody used UHMW to create skid plates and stick stoppers yet? I used to work for a Mechanical/Manufacture engineering firm and we used this material for many applications. It is light, STRONG , Very abrasion resistant and is very slick. It would make the perfect skid plate material epically for those who love rock hounding. You can machine and mill it just like metal.

Here is some information of it.

UHMW This Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene bar has exceptionally high abrasion and impact resistance properties. It will outwear all other materials, including metals, nylons, urethanes, and fluoroplastics. In corrosion resistance, it has the same qualities of other polyethylene plastics. The working temperature range is from -60 to 200 deg F. Because it resists wear, friction and corrosion, it cuts maintenance costs, energy consumption, and extends equipment life. Applications include guide rails, wear plates, rollers, conveyor augers, bin and hopper lines, chutes, bearings, bushings and gears. Its properties include: low coefficient of friction, self-lubrication, non-adherent surface, FDA and USDA concurrence for contact with foods, drugs, etc.

Anybody used it for this type of application yet?

There isn't a metal made that would work as good as UHMW for this type of application.

Andrew

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed May 18, 2005 4:22 pm

Junfan wrote:I would highly reccomend UHMW. Here is a post I made from another board.

Has anybody used UHMW to create skid plates and stick stoppers yet? I used to work for a Mechanical/Manufacture engineering firm and we used this material for many applications. It is light, STRONG , Very abrasion resistant and is very slick. It would make the perfect skid plate material epically for those who love rock hounding. You can machine and mill it just like metal.

Here is some information of it.

UHMW This Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene bar has exceptionally high abrasion and impact resistance properties. It will outwear all other materials, including metals, nylons, urethanes, and fluoroplastics. In corrosion resistance, it has the same qualities of other polyethylene plastics. The working temperature range is from -60 to 200 deg F. Because it resists wear, friction and corrosion, it cuts maintenance costs, energy consumption, and extends equipment life. Applications include guide rails, wear plates, rollers, conveyor augers, bin and hopper lines, chutes, bearings, bushings and gears. Its properties include: low coefficient of friction, self-lubrication, non-adherent surface, FDA and USDA concurrence for contact with foods, drugs, etc.

Anybody used it for this type of application yet?

There isn't a metal made that would work as good as UHMW for this type of application.

Andrew
Where would you get this type of metal? would you cut it with a plasma cutter or with a pair of metal snips? What about the cost. . . ?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Wed May 18, 2005 4:57 pm

Honda man please read the above again. This is a plastic. You can cut it with anything. To make bends all you need heat and cool to keep the set of the bend.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed May 18, 2005 5:02 pm

I guess I missed the line where it said milled just like metal. . . I like that it is plastic. . . makes it easier to work with. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ACLakey » Wed May 18, 2005 9:13 pm

UHMW This Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene...yes it is a plastic. You can machine it just like metal, ie mill, drill, tap, turn on a lathe ect. Like stated above if you heat it you can bend it into just about any shape. When it cools the bend is set. It is VERY impact and abrasion resistant and is also self lubricating. As the material wears it gets smoother and smoother. It has a very low coefficient of friction, meaning it is very slick stuff and will slide right off rocks. It is the material of choice to line the bottom of drift boats because of it’s properties. It is truly great stuff and is the perfect material to use for this application.

I used to work at a Mechanical/Manufacturing engineering firm that makes machinery for the wood products industry. We used UHMW for applications ranging from bash plates, wear surfaces, bearings and bushings, gears you name it. We purchased it through our local metal supplier. Check to see if they will order it for you, if not do an internet search for a dealer. It comes in just about any form and color you could imagine. You can get bars, tubes, blocks, sheets and extrusion. A sheet of UHMW weighs about the same as a sheet of plywood of equal thickness, so it is a relatively light material. I think you could likely pick up a 4’x 8’ sheet of ¼” UHMW in whatever color for around $120. That would be enough to make a skid plate and stick stoppers. A little spendy, but it is far superior to any metal out there.

I hope this helps.

Andrew

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Thu May 19, 2005 10:15 pm

go to PRM-ATV.com and buy thier full aluminum skid plates. They fit well and are about as indestructable as is possible. You get what you pay for.
Rincon that's dialed in.

RobG
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby RobG » Fri May 20, 2005 3:44 pm

I love the sound of that UHMW stuff... I might pick up a sheet of it and cut some skidplates out of it. Any idea if you can get the stuff in Reno?

And as Lizard pointed out, PRM makes killer skidplates. I had 'em on my Rincon and the suckers were darn near bulletproof. Almost 1/4" think, NOTHING would dent them. They held up 100x better than the Yamaha and Highlifter piece of crap skids I have on my Grizzly.

Rob
'09 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 EPS
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS
'02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
'05 Arctic Cat M7 153

'05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
'06 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri May 20, 2005 3:49 pm

Where would you get this type of metal at?
I'd buy 7000 rolls of aluminum foil...... and start wrapping that puppy.

We'll change your name to: Bubble Boy of the Rubicon......