Helmet Radios

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:57 pm

I want to see what yours all look like. . . can you program the refquency into the headsets or is that something a "professional" has to do?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:13 pm

If 6 are purchased and you get a dedicated freq. they have to be shipped back and programmed for that freq.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:39 pm

Honda_man wrote:I want to see what yours all look like

Go to the DAMN website you lazy slog.....
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:41 pm

Wow...I just checked to see how many groups in California have more than 6 members for their own channel....included is a Sheriff Dept.

wow.

California, USA
California-Nevada Snowmobile Association=14000
108 Sno Drifters=14101
88 Spur Riders Snowmobile Club=14102
Almanor Easy Riders=14103
Lassen Plumas Snowmobile Club=14104
Bear River Trail Riders=14105
Bridgeport Snowmobile Club=14106
Bay Area Snow Hoppers=14107
Bucks Lake Snowdrifters=14108
Butte Meadows Hillsliders=14109
California Snowmobile Riders Association=14110
Golden State Sno-Blazers=14111
Mammoth Lakes Snowmobile Association=14112
Mt. Shasta Snowmobile Club=14113
North Tahoe Snow Travelers=14114
Sequoia Snowmobilers=14115
Sierra Buttes Snowbusters=14116
Sno-Blazers=14117
Sno-Riders Inc.=14118
Solano Sno-Runners=14119
Sonora Pass Sno-Goers=14120
Laporte Snowmobile Club=14121
Southern California Snowmobile Association=14122
Highlanders Snowmobile Club=14123
Volcano Riders=14124
Club Abyss=14125
Truwest Inc.=14127
Team Spud=14128
Dirt Wheels Magazine=14128
Marina Suzuki=42133
Mark Wattman=42138
Bill Meade=42140
Jim Richardson=42142
Mike Carpenter=42148
Stan Skates=42150
Richard Lanouette=42185
Twist Grip Magazine=43279
McMullen Argus Publishing=43280
Jim's Adventures=43281
American Honda co.=43282
Antonio Delatorre=43283
Trotter Snowmobile Club=43284
Norm Witt=43285
J B Snomobile Club=43286
TMC=43287
Inside Line Motorsport=43288
Ronin Warriors=43289
Sugar Loafers=43290
Dune Diggers=43291
Wesley Snowmobilers=43292
Glamis Duners Club=43293
Mono County Sheriff Office=43294
Hill Climbers=43295
Kart Club=43297
Scooby-Doo=43298
Team Just Ride=43302
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:44 pm

you lazy slog.....
S.L.O.G. - Sheep Lover Only Gay...... Your new handle... replacing Honda_Man.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:51 pm

I know what thhey look like you duffis. . .I want to see what they really look like and their size. How do they fit with the helments, the technical workings, noe or this functional crap. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:14 pm

Honda_man wrote:noe or this functional crap. . .

How....in the fawk do you code? (sighs)

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:49 am

SLOG...I love it..
Scooby-Doo has his own freq. WTF LOL
You should be able to change the cristal for a freq. change very easily. If you need to turn a pot for tunning you will need to send back to the factory for freq. matching.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:03 am

MrBill wrote:SLOG...I love it..
Scooby-Doo has his own freq. WTF LOL
You should be able to change the cristal for a freq. change very easily. If you need to turn a pot for tunning you will need to send back to the factory for freq. matching.

Yeah, you're right..same as remote control planes...no clue how they do it....honestly, it costs too much to go opening it up myself to try to fix it, find a crystal...etc. They just said....all units given a custom frequency, has to be done at the factory.

As for Scooby-Doo...don't know who they are...but if they bought 6 units...that's all it takes.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:11 pm

will do this for a nominal fee too i am sure. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:39 am

I received my radio by Collett on Friday.

Sunday I installed it....it literally took longer to remove my old Motocomm stuff...than put in the new radio.

They give you 2 velcro disks for the speakers. I just removed my lining, put the disks in...put the speakers in and used a little duct tape to secure the wires.

The speaker wire plug, I pre-measured to the unit holding with my finger, so there wouldn't be lot of slack. The really nice thing they did...is the speaker closest to the Unit outside the helmet, has almost no wire and the one for the right ear has just enough to make it across...not a lot of slack. You don't really feel it...but it makes it nice to know they actually thought about the wire length, instead of just cutting for overkill. I then put the liner back in.

Once the speakers were in place, I put the unit on the side with my hand holding it...put the helmet on...and ballparked where the microphone, which is a long snake like boom arm, which you can articulate and it will stay in position. I ballparked the position...and removed the helmet, holding the radio in place.

Using the lettering as a guide...I could eye ball where it should go back. They include 2 pre-cut velcro pads which are precisely cut to match the velcro hooks already on the unit. No velcro to install on the unit...just the helmet. Another nice touch.

I peeled the backing, pressed down and then put the unit on...wiggling back and forth to get as many hooks as possible to catch. Once done, it was NOT coming off without a velcro fight. The small antenna, is curved so it is curved with the helmet. The instructions say there is an "antenna booster" in the box....but there's also no wire antenna on the unit....so Captain Obvious figured out, they changed the design..probably for the better.

Once secure...I put the helmet back on. The mic IS directional. The end, spins to show a small screen for talking into....which I would assume this really helps elminate noise. Imagine the end of a cigarette and a hold for only small portion. The directions say put the end, almost touching your lips...which I did. I then added the foam wind screen (you get 2) to the end. It pulls very snugly...and would take effort to pull off.

The only wire out....is the power cord. The battery is pretty good size...I do NOT know the real time length of use...but will find out. The battery is sealed...though they recommend putting in a pocket for snowmobiling to keep warm. For ATV riding...I'll just put in my fanny pack for my camera.

As for actual operation....it sure looks like it has all the elements to be a successful product....now it will be this weekend to find out for sure.

more to come.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:39 pm

I saw the device in person and it looks pretty cool. A little bulky on the side of the helmet I thought, but for the sound it will give it will be worth it. I am going to see about getting one as soon as I found out 6 people are ordering so I do not have to fight with sending it back in to get the thing re-coded. . .

what will our club name be? Club Honda?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:59 pm

Was just reading the website and they are selling the model that ken got for 179 till they sell out, then will be selling the 2005 models. (Only difference they say is the stereo sound if you plug your mp3 player into it.

Also noted that when they program them for us, they add the programmed frequency to a second channel. So you have the general use channel, and then the private club channel, so you are not really loosing any abilities in them.

I am still trying to find out what frequency they operate on.
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:42 pm

Honda_man wrote:I am still trying to find out what frequency they operate on.

You blew it....should have written.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20010619.html

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:22 pm

Is there any more interests in getting this head set? I would like to place an order here, but want to see if we get few more people in addition so can get the club price and frequency
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .