synthetic winch rope report

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

synthetic winch rope report

Postby Lizard » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:12 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have used the synthetic winch line now and have some thoughts. I discovered that it does abraid fairly easily if your not careful. I had the hook pulled up to the aluminum fairlead (not tight though) and discovered the nice large steel hook on the end of the line left very small (half a millimeter) burrs on the fairlead from bouncing down the trail. The burrs were unnoticeable until I used the winch a few times and got some light abrasion on the rope. I cought it early and don't believe I have caused significant damage to the rope, but...

I easily filed and polished the fairlead and now store the hook clipped to the front rack rather than pulled into the fairlead. Take my advice and do not let the hook ever touch the fairlead.

Beyond this, I love the ease of handling, light weight, and safety the rope provides. I wonder if the roller fairlead and some care wouldn't have been a better option for my use. The rope I would recommend to everyone who winches.

Lizard
Rincon that's dialed in.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:30 am

Thank you very much for that info....

Where were you winching.....I'm jonesing for a ride.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Lizard

Postby Lizard » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:59 am

Getting stuck in deep snow. Both around my house (during that big storm a few weeks ago), and a little higher up Morman Immigrant Trail (which is right out side Pollock Pines). The snow was 3-4 feet deep and I try and float on top or ride with my tires in the wheel and differential ruts of Jeeps with the 38"+ tires. But as soon as I would think the snow was strong enough to support the weight... I would be winching.
Rincon that's dialed in.

Lizard

Postby Lizard » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:15 am

I want to go riding on Saturday if I'm feeling better. The kids and I are home with a cold. :cry: Maybe I'll just go sit on my ride and make engine noises. Again.
Rincon that's dialed in.

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:48 am

Lizard, I think a few of us are going up to the Arnold area the weekend of the 12, 13... Not sure which day, but if your interested? Let us know....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Lizard

Postby Lizard » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:15 am

I would love to go riding with you guys! Unfortunately, I work both that Saturday and Sunday. Man, I want to go. Work sucks. I think I need to buy a lotto ticket.
Rincon that's dialed in.