ok gps units

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

ok gps units

Postby roon101 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:46 pm

ok check it out i have one guy telling me to get megellan and one guy telling me to get garmin i have herd good and bad from both

but here is the kicker one guy is like lets call him a super hiker
the other guy is a emt or somthing of the sorts

any way i get good feeds from you guys please help i am looking for
somthing ti can mount to my quad and save my tracks
i don't know any thing about gps units

so i have about 250 to spend on one what is the best bang for my buck
thanks atv obsessions crew
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.

popotim
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby popotim » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:35 pm

I have a Garmin 60Cx and I love it. I don't keep tracks on a computer, but it does all that and then some. I am amazed what it will do, and the info you can track. The display can be set up in infinite varity to show what info you want. They have an upgraded antenna, and I can get a fix downstairs in a two story house. Never lost reception. They make a handle bar mount which fits perfectly on my ATV. You will need a DC power source nearby, or 2X AA will last about a day. Can't speak to the other brands, although I'm sure the technology is similar and at one point Megellan was the way to go. I know all the search and rescue teams around here use Garmin. They download all their tracks on a laptop at the scene to see where they missed. That's what sold me. Get the color screen. The 60 CSx also has a compass feature, but most just turn that off because it draws alot more power. Nothing against Megellan, just one man's opinion. I'm sure this is like "the best ATV' question. Lots of opinions.
sp 08 800, Polaris 3500 winch, 26 in. Mudlite XTR's, ATV-Guru front bumper, Ricochet skid plate, Stickstopper A-arm protectors, Garmin 60Cx gps.

sp 04.5 500 H.O. 25 in. Mudlite XTR's Stickstoppers.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:53 pm

I've had both Garmin and Magellan. Currently I have a new Magellan Triton 1500. I really like the fact that it uses NatGeo maps, they are by far the most highly detailed maps you can get your hands on. They install on the laptop and you can print very nice maps on paper plus use the GPS to compliment. It does everything that most of the high end models do from all the major manufacturers.

I have heard good things about the 60cx on here from Grizzly Guy and others. It has a nice big color screen that is easy to read.

I did a little research on the DeLorme as well. It has a nice feature in that you can load satellite photos to it and have basically a handheld Google Earth unit. You can also purchase a remote mountable GPS receiver that connects to your laptop and have the ultimate in screen size.

It really will come down to personal preference and maximizing your dollar. They all do basically the same thing and have very similar features. Hit Cabelas or Sportsmans Warehouse and put a few in your hand.

I would stick with one of the 3 brands though - Garmin, Magellan or DeLorme.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby traildad » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:20 pm

Different hardware has advantages and disadvantages. I have a 4 year old Magellan Meridian Gold. I never have a problem finding the road. The real difference when it comes to riding a ATV with a GPSr is the maps. Does it show the road you want to ride on? Do some research into this and I think you will have an easy decision.
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:04 pm

I started with Magellan, loved my MAP330. But the Garmin 60CS sold me on their interface. I like it a lot better than the Magellan of the time. I've been very happy with it (virtually the same as the 60CSx - which has removable memory and I believe a better receiver (but it's never been worth upgrading for me)). I'd easily get another Garmin. One thing you want to consider is the screen size. None of the little portables are particularly easy to use as a map. I always have a Tahoe map or something printed from ExpertGPS for a reference, with my list of waypoints.

Good luck!
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:56 pm

cool thanks every one i will check in when i get one and ask more about them when i lern more about them
25inch maxxis big horns.

auendave

Postby auendave » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:33 am

dont know if any of you guys geocache but Garmin is the only one that is supported on their web site for downloads.

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:46 pm

i never done it but seen it on ride to adventure i thought was mainly a
on off road motorcycle thing the way they put it on the show

looks kinda cool tho don't know how much of that goes on in northen cali
can you give me the link i will check it out
25inch maxxis big horns.

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:13 pm

Try http://www.geocaching.com/ for more info.

traildad

Postby traildad » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:59 pm

roon101 wrote: looks kinda cool tho don't know how much of that goes on in northen cali
can you give me the link i will check it out
Well within a 50 mile radius of Meadow Lake there are 3906 Geocaches. Within a 50 mile radius of Vacaville there are 8608. Seems to be pretty popular. :shock:
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:02 am

yea i looked at it i saw that

there is alot supprsingly you never hear much about it
25inch maxxis big horns.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:30 pm

auendave wrote:dont know if any of you guys geocache but Garmin is the only one that is supported on their web site for downloads.

The new Magellan Triton, has a camera that logs the location when you take the photograph. I think it's 2 megapixel.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/