A.R.C. Helmets

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

zkeys
Is tracking a shipment right now

A.R.C. Helmets

Postby zkeys » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:30 pm

Anybody own one of these? In the market for a bigger/newer helmet. My helmet is shrinking, but my wife persists that my face is just getting fatter. So, any reviews, good or bad, on these helmets? Or, really, for any helmet in the $70-$100 range?
Thanks kids!
Zack
06 Brute Force 650 SRA Green
Dynatek CDI
26" Mud Lite XL's on ITP Series 4

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:52 pm

I'm not familiar with the brand....but only wear a helmet that DOT approved. The brand really doesn't matter, as far as safety goes, as long as it is DOT Approved.

HOWEVER......

You get what you pay for...mainly in weight, comfort (materials used) and longevity.

Cheap helmets...WEIGHT A LOT. Why? It's expensive to make a light helmet. Put a heavy helmet on....and you're long day of riding just got worse. Your neck will definitely be sore. Your best strategy, is to hold each helmet...grab an expensive one...and grab a cheaper one...shake it...feel it in your hand. If it's heavy in your hand...imagine your head and neck trying to hold it up for 6 hours.

Materials. Cheap helmets have materials that don't feel as comfortable. It will be rougher and harder on your skin. Also...cheaper helmets usually don't have a removable liner. So any sweat...Stays. Yummy! It won't take long to smell your rides. And that moves us into Longevity. If you can wash and care for your liner...your helmet will smell a lot better and last a lot longer.

Final advice...DO NOT BUY A HELMET unless you've put it on your head. They are just like shoes....some brands run smaller, some larger. They will each feel differently on your head. I have 1 helmet that is an XL and I have one helmet that is a Large. The large, is easier to put on, than the XL. If I bought an XL of the same helmet....it wouldn't fit. No way. BTW...both are the same brand...just different model.

It's your head! Be smart.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:32 pm

I have a Fly that I got from Rocky Mtn for about $75, and I really like it. It's not that heavy either, at least I don't think so.

Mine is an XXL, I have the same problem as you, they just seem to be shrinking on me. :shrug:
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:08 pm

I'm not familiar with the brand....but only wear a helmet that DOT approved. The brand really doesn't matter, as far as safety goes, as long as it is DOT Approved.

I would add to Ken's list.........snell and ansi.......approved....

Hmmm I think my face is getting fatter also.....not sure what is causing it.
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:24 pm

Kendo wrote:I have a Fly that I got from Rocky Mtn for about $75, and I really like it. It's not that heavy either, at least I don't think so.

Mine is an XXL, I have the same problem as you, they just seem to be shrinking on me. :shrug:

XXL! :shock: Of course it doesn't feel heavy, when your head is the size of a helmet, without the helmet. :lol: :wink:
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Keep laughing pinhead.

Hey, how's that radiator swap going?? :ducking:

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

so wise

Postby Kodiak » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:15 pm

wow ken you nailed that helmet stuff on the head especially the part about trying it on. i found helmets way cheaper online from brands i liked but i would have been so bummed if i didn't try them on in the store! (oh yeah Roseville Yamaha price matches rocky mtn atv. just in case you care)

8)
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:59 am

That's good to know.

There's no problem buying helmets online...as long as you've put it on and like it.

But I DARE anyone....to walk into a store, try a helmet..like it...then LEAVE to order it online! LOL...ain't gunna happen. :lol: :lol: Especially A.D.D. Nick!

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

NickD
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby NickD » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:20 am

Huh ? How did I get dragged into this? :evil:

Any A.D.D. comments are merely a reflection of Mr. Hower or stories told by Mr. Dapore... and those are proven to be very unreliable..... :?
'07 Can AM 800 xt.... all stock for less than 10 minutes.....

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:06 pm

And then I somehow get sucked in too. WTF??

I think Ken is just pissy because karma is crapping all over him right now. Between radiators and motherboards he's just about at the brink of insanity. He must have done something really bad in a former life.

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAA

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:33 pm

NickD wrote:Huh ? How did I get dragged into this? :evil:

Any A.D.D. comments are merely a reflection of Mr. Hower or stories told by Mr. Dapore... and those are proven to be very unreliable..... :?

LOL....actually, it was the rim story you told me....walkin' in....walkin' out with rims and tires.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:35 pm

Kendo wrote:And then I somehow get sucked in too. WTF??

I think Ken is just pissy because karma is crapping all over him right now. Between radiators and motherboards he's just about at the brink of insanity. He must have done something really bad in a former life.

BAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAA

HUH? ME? insane?

No...I'm totally fine! :roll: Twinkie! I need a TWINKIE DAMN IT!

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

NickD

Postby NickD » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:43 am

Ha, ha... actually, I went into the shop, saw the price for the wheels and tires at near $1100 and told the guy he was crazy... I worked him down to $800, which is about the Rocky Mountain price. When I finally went back to buy them, I had him throw in the lugs too for another $15. So out the door ITP 14" wheels and Biughorn 26" tires with ITP lug nuts for $815, including tax and title, didn't seem like a bad price... and no waiting...

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:04 am

NickD wrote:and no waiting...
Ken wrote:Especially A.D.D. Nick!

The DEFENSE, rests your honor. :)

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

NickD

Postby NickD » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:21 am

You would actually be the prosecution in this case... your honor... The defense requests an explanation of why one should 'wait' to buy something on line, when it can be purchased for a similar price locally.