Cold Weather gear

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Cold Weather gear

Postby Thrasher » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:24 am

Living in florida is nice and all, until u need to leave state during the fall/winter when everyone else it seems is under snow or it is 50 below.

I'm making this trip to ride up in WV on the Hatfield-McCoy trails and I'm looking at weather that will have a high around 50 if I am lucky.
I have not done any riding in that kind of temperature.

When I talked to the lady at the cabins, she even mentioned the possibility of snow at thanksgiving as it has happened many times in the past...I don't think a pair of jeans and my leather jacket is gonna cut it.

What do I need to look for? as in jackets/pants for trail riding?
obviously I want something waterproof in case of rain...what do ya'll use? I'm just lookin to get ideas here...wana be comfy on the quad and be semi-warm while riding at who knows what speeds we will be riding with that kind of low temp!

(when it's 60 outside we are all bundled up here in our 'winter clothes' to give u an idea...lol!"
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:57 am

Rain gear with hood (heavy rain), breathable waterproof jacket with hood and pants (light rain and snow), Fleece sweater, sweats and/or thermals, 2 pairs of socks (one wicking pair of socks), Waterproof boots (Redwing), Gloves with liners, something for your neck, something for your head (when your helmet is off).

Then a spare of everything in the event you get wet....... Fleece sweater, sweats and/or thermals, 2 pairs of socks (one wicking pair of socks), Gloves with liners, something for your neck, something for your head (when your helmet is off).

However, if it's in the 60's...... I recommend shorts. lol.....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:45 pm

1. Clothing that will stop the wind. I believe a complete wind barrier is the key. Something as simple as a cheap raingear (no yellow Gordon Fisherman crap) can make a huge difference. Then if it doesn't seal well enough, duct tape will seal any gaps in your clothing (such as pantlegs to you boots).

2. Spirits.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:49 pm

Lizard.... Were going on a ride this weekend (Sunday) off highway 80 exit Eagle Lake. I'm driving from Stockton, Jack is driving up from Half Moon Bay... Interested? If so, let us know.... Your welcome to join us.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:23 pm

Yup...was going to say the same thing.

Trying to arrive at Eagle Lake Rd at 8am. We're planning on climbing over Signal Peak to Cisco Grove side. Then to Fordyce...out the committee trail, down Winch Hill 2 and 1, cross the river...back up to Eagle Lakes.

Snow play time if not too tired.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Quadgoddess
Is Totally Obsessed

Re: Cold Weather gear

Postby Quadgoddess » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:39 pm

Thrasher wrote:What do I need to look for? as in jackets/pants for trail riding?
Being from Ohio I'm familiar with the cold weather! {We had frost here last night 8) .} I believe in the layer system. That way if you get too warm you can start peeling layers off.
Do you have a Balaclava? It keeps your head and face/ears warm.

There is a group from Ohio heading to H/M around Thanksgiving.
I haven't been there yet. But from what I have seen as far as pics go the place is really nice. Alot of technical trails.
[url=http://carolann63.smugmug.com/]~My Pix~[/url]

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:14 pm

Just remember when doing cold weather riding, at least when we are doing it, you are working pretty hard, so you are going to be sweating, so wear breathable clothes. I also know that when you get wet you are screwed. . . So wear something that is water proof on the oustide as a shell.

When I ride, and this is just me I usually wear a pair of jeans, and then my rain slickers on the bottoms. on the top I will wear a sweater and a long sleve shirt and then my rain slicker as well. I do use a crappy pair of skis gloves as my hands do get cold.

Just remember that wear something that is breathable as you will be sweating mostlikely. You quad also will be giving off some heat so you are not going to be without some form of heat.
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

ash2042
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ash2042 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:40 pm

Thrasher, the weather here in WV is gradually cooling off. Today we had a high of 47 and a low of 24. I agree with quadgoddess in using the layering system. If it gets real cold you can always a nomex hood under your helmet and put tape over the holeson your full face helmet. The baclava the quadgoddess mentioned would be nice but it may not work with your helmet.
04.5 Sportsman 500 HO
Warn 2.5 winch

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:22 pm

Totally agree. Layers.

Yesterday it wasn't too bad...but I wore:

Legs:
Under Armor (fancy long johns)
sweat pants
Gortex Army Pants
Wool socks
Redwing Irish Setter 12" boots

Upper:
Under Armor
Thermal Shirt
Water proof shell with fleece liner

If it was colder...I would have worn another shirt.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:09 pm

I worn my usual.....

Chaps and a g-string.....

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:03 am

u are a sick, sick man there Terry, LOL!

I ordered some kind of snow jacket/pants thingie off LLBean, should be comfy, warm, water resistant, with vents in case i get too hot....
this AM I orderd one of those baklava (heh) things and some nice wooly sox...now i need new boots as mine fell apart a few weeks ago.

is that thermal under armor stuff really good? i have thought about getin some.
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

Quadgoddess
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Quadgoddess » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:34 am

Thrasher wrote:u are a sick, sick man there Terry, LOL!

I ordered some kind of snow jacket/pants thingie off LLBean, should be comfy, warm, water resistant, with vents in case i get too hot....
this AM I orderd one of those baklava (heh) things and some nice wooly sox...now i need new boots as mine fell apart a few weeks ago.

is that thermal under armor stuff really good? i have thought about getin some.
Hope your thingie from LLBean works out. :mrgreen:
And btw...Baklava is a greek pastry...Balaclava is the head/neck warmer thingie. So I hope you ordered the right thing! :wink: {They are also sold @ stores like Walmart in the Sporting Goods section.}
I'm just giving ya a hard time...I'm still stuck on the vision of the chaps and g-string deal....scary lol :shock:
[url=http://carolann63.smugmug.com/]~My Pix~[/url]

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:03 am

ya, I know baklava is a pastry (Tarpon Springs is not far from me either, the greek capitol of the US it seems). I was being silly :D
but ya, I got the right thing, I just went by the picture...heh...I don't think u can even get those things around here, at least not easily, not much of a need for them, even in winter.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:29 am

Geek capitol of the world??

Yeah, you do need to move to CA....... lol

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:00 pm

lookin for a roomate? heh