I'm a GPS n00b -

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

scotte
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby scotte » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:46 am

Keith Strong wrote:I have a Nuvi 350 from garmin in my car that I got for about 400 bucks. Had I known, I would have never bought that and just got all the car stuff for the XL.
Trust me, you can't win that easily! You can't auto-route on your XL with topo, so you'll still have to shell out the $$ for directroute to get some of the same functionality that's in the Nuvi.

The Nuvi is going to be a much nicer unit if you use it while driving. I use my handheld for both, but it is a bit difficult to use on the freeway compared to the car units, and mine (an older unit) doesn't have auto-routing even with streetmaps which sucks.

Still, you could sell your Nuvi for a couple hundred, pick up directroute for ~$130, and have some cash left over if you really wanted to.

Auto-routing is really really nice for travelling! If I had the money, I'd buy two units, one for street driving, and the other for off-roading, hiking, and geocaching.

It's getting harder and harder to get a one-unit-does-all GPSr. Most of the newer auto-routing automobile units won't take anything but auto-routing maps (at least for the units I'm familiar with).

I'll stay out of the brand debate. Just like with brand of vehicles or beer, they are all competitive and good! NO wait, I take that back - there's some bad beer!!

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:31 pm

Keith....

When do you want your XL lessons?? I've got it down after this week in Moab.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:35 pm

After this week. I am leaving Monday for AZ. I need computer help too...having issues with my PC.
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:32 am

say when..
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/