Dyno Jet Kit "The good, bad and the ugly"?

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Dyno Jet Kit "The good, bad and the ugly"?

Postby traildad » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:53 am

I have wondered if it would be a good idea to install a jet kit on my quad. I have ridden a couple times at Pismo Beach and at Prairie City both very low elevation. I have ridden a lot at Stonyford in Mendocino Forest which has a large area near camp at about 1700 ft. but when I ride out I might go up to 5700 ft. When I ride up in the Sierra's I am mostly above 3000 ft. and can easily top out above 7500 ft. I would like to someday ride in Utah at very high elevations.

I am sure the high elevation has affected performance. Since I am riding with my wife it hasn't been a issue. We aren't out pushing hard on our rides. I have read that riding above your carb setting will run rich and won't hurt anything. Riding below your carb setting will run lean and can do damage. If I leave it stock I figure the worst is I lose power. If I put in adjustable jets, what are the concerns about running lean when dropping in elevation? If I start out at 1700ft. and top out at 5700ft. do I change settings in the middle of the ride? I saw the photos you posted to install it, what is involved in changing the setting from 0-3000 up to 3000-6000? How long can you ride and how far below your setting can you ride without risk of damage? Just curious, Thanks
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:52 pm

http://atvobsession.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=743

There is no ugly, IMO. I put a 3000-6000 on my 700. It's a nice compromise....and avoids running to hot a low elevation. Definitely noticed the difference.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/