Done with Bowman!

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Done with Bowman!

Postby hemingray » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:17 pm

Ah, well, maybe not - but that road is AWFUL. Along with the tradition nastiness along the lake, there are long stretches between the lake and Meadow Lake turnoff that are miserable. Meadow Lake Road above the corral is pretty crummy too. I've been on it in my stock 4x4 truck, but that would be impossible now with the huge gullies. Not surprisingly, nobody was camped at Tollhouse Lake - the price of admission is pretty high. Conversely, upper Bowman was a mob scene. Nice day though - but I'm driving to Truckee next time I want to go up to the Meadow Lake side.

Bowman Lake is overflowing - water pours down from the hidden spillway above, down the channel below the waste dam and into a giant drain. It was pretty spectacular! Apparently the reason for it is that NID is repairing a cracked pipe in the main dam outlet works. The project could go on for awhile and that's the reason for the lake being high - they are limited in how much they can release right now and are using the south dam to keep up.

Click the picture for a gallery.

Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Re: Done with Bowman!

Postby EigerMike » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:32 pm

great pics dave ! so whats next? :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:21 am

I was thinking Henness Pass Road or Yuba Pass needs more exploring, or maybe some more riding from Little Truckee Summit.

Bowman is a great area, but getting bashed around on the crummy roads is getting old.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

camokids
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby camokids » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:20 pm

heminray
do you have gps coordinates or rode name/number for the "rode back to meadow lake" & "gold rush era rode"?
I was up there June 3 and your are spot on about the rode’s getting worse.
does anyone remember what rating the USFS gave that rode? wasn't it rated for high volume traffic or passenger cars HAHAHA!
'07 CAN-AM Outlander XT MAX 800 V-twin efi

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:13 pm

What location(s) do you want coords for? The Meadow Lake Road turn from the Bowman area is at N39° 28.426' W120° 33.790'
The FR-7 (Fibreboard Road) turnoff for Meadow Lake is N39° 29.977' W120° 26.142'

The roads alongside Bowman Lake and to Meadow Lake road are county roads, so they don't have a rating. Meadow Lake Road is CR 843.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~