expensive lesson

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

kampingkris
Just opened an account at Cabelas

expensive lesson

Postby kampingkris » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 am

Went in near Johnson Lane outside Minden... Took a little canyon that turned into a deep, difficult trail and unfortunately kept going. Ended up late afternoon in Dayton... only a mere 18 miles from the trailer. The GPS wasnt much help. The roads came and went - existed and then didn't.
It was a lesson. Ended up having to get a taxi to get the trailer/car. Lesson learned. You can get lost with a GPS.

hellcat650
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Re: expensive lesson

Postby hellcat650 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:59 pm

Hey Kris,
I sent u my contact info for the future if need a hand in Reno area.
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:06 pm

Oh yes you can get lost with a GPS.

Kendo won't like this story....but he got MEGA lost with a GPS. We were in the snow...(just a little)....he decided to leave the trail, and head toward an old GPS way point he had. He went toward it, down a steep hill....got a drop down to a creek..like 30 feet.....considered winching his quad down....then decided (thankfully) better of it. Meanwhile...Jack and I can't find him....have no idea where he is....we drive for a while on the road...looking for tracks, and determine he hadn't gone back...and HAD to be back where we were......Finally.....(it was around Meadow Lake)...I called his cell and left a VM earlier....(we didn't have ham radios back then)...he called back. He was winching back up the hill to where he left the trail. After almost 2 hours...Jack and I were almost ready to call S&R.

The moral of that story....don't follow a GPS to a point you've been to before....use the GPS to get back to where you were.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:07 pm

So, you couldn't backtrack using the GPS? Or couldn't find an alternate route back to your start? Just wondering....
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

kampingkris

Postby kampingkris » Wed May 01, 2013 8:46 am

Yes and no. If we had another 2 hours before dark... we could have backtracked. But didn't really want to tackle that trail again. And no, there didn't seem to be another way south from where we ended up... and then we ran into the Carson River which we couldn't cross...AND DD needed to get back for work. It was, obviously, not a good idea to stray so far without clear idea of where we were...On a plus note, it would have been a great trail to spend some time exploring and put the rzr through its paces with all the rocks. Would like to boondock with the trailer somewhere in that area for future exploration.

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Wed May 01, 2013 5:08 pm

where are the pics!!!!!!!!!!!! too bad about haveing to call a taxi glad you guys are safe ! :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Wed May 01, 2013 9:32 pm

At least you were somewhere that you COULD call a taxi!

"Hello, yellow cab? Yes, I'm here on highway 89 at Little Truckee Summit and my truck is near Bowman Lake!"
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Fri May 03, 2013 5:51 pm

I'll be darned, I was just working on mapping that area. There are some mountains in the area that I want to get to the top of. Can I please have a copy of your track log?

My guess is that you headed up Eldorado Canyon, it is near my mouse pointer in the center of this map:

The easier (but longer) ride back would have been along the green and blue lines that I'm showing east of that canyon. At least I think that would work, they look good on maps and aerial photos, but you never know until you get out there and ride them.
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

hellcat650
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby hellcat650 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Let's plan a ride. I have been over thrange and to other side of smith valley to the mine from johnson lane GG.
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

kampingkris

Postby kampingkris » Mon May 06, 2013 11:29 am

Grizzley guy... That's exactly where we were... That trail was awesome... just didn't go anywhere we wanted to go however... We entered it from the "green" road...