Getting into Bowman Lake

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Re: Getting into Bowman Lake

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 am

hemingray wrote:I'm not sure if there is a (legal) way to get from the Meadow Lake roads to the Yuba Pass area - that would be cool. Meadow Lake Road itself hits pavement at Fibreboard Road.
I won't comment on whether it is legal or not, but here is a way that only requires you to be on pavement for 525 feet. The purple line coming in from the bottom is Meadow Lake Road. Not far from where it hits Fibreboard Road (FS 07) there is a big intersection with a right that goes past Webber Lake. It has a county road number but I forget what it is. Take that until it intersects with Fibreboard Road, hang a left for your 525 feet of pavement (between the red bullseyes), then you can turn right onto FS 12 which takes you all the way to Yuba Pass (the green is the side road to Lake of the Woods).

Oh yeah, nice pictures Dave!
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:34 pm

So, 35 MPH equals approximately 51 feet per second, so 10 seconds.... ;-) In my early ride days I actually did the 7 miles back to LTS on the paved road because it was getting dark. I figured it was better than getting lost and creating a nighttime SAR...
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Rubicon_Rider
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Rubicon_Rider » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:52 pm

where is the best place to camp with toy haulers and be able to get to the the Bowman Lake area to ride without taking 49 or 89?
2006 Honda Rubicon w/HMF Penland pipe
2012 2500 Ram Laramie w/Cummin 6.7L
2010 Attitude Toy hauler
2014 Razor 1000XPS
2017 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:30 am

From the I-80/SR-20 side: shortly after Bowman Lake Rd. turns to dirt, turn right at the sign for Lindsey Lake. N39° 24.752' W120° 39.840'

Just a small distance up the road, there is an open area where I've seen trailers parked. N39° 24.780' W120° 39.757'

If I recall correctly there is camping further up near the lake, but I don't remember what kind of road it was or what's available up there. You could also go up Carr-Feeley Lakes Rd. (FR-17) (the turnoff is a couple of miles before Bowman Lake Rd. turns to dirt) and camp at Carr Lake - it does connect to Lindsey Lake Rd. keeping you on dirt for your machines. The roads look good, but I don't know how it works for trailers. I do recall there's not a lot of space at the lakes, so it's probably best to get in there early on a Friday or do a weekday.

Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Rubicon_Rider
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Rubicon_Rider » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:44 pm

the road to Linsley Lake appears to be fine from Google Maps. I may try it one weekend, i just hope there are some good spots to set up camp.

thanks for the information.
2006 Honda Rubicon w/HMF Penland pipe
2012 2500 Ram Laramie w/Cummin 6.7L
2010 Attitude Toy hauler
2014 Razor 1000XPS
2017 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:26 am

Rode Bowman to Meadow this weekend. Clear all the way up. Couple patches of snow right before you get to Meadow, but they're just fun. You can ride around them if you want. Only thing I will warn you about - mosquitoes!!! They are ravenous!! Stopped at Catfish Lake for lunch and just about got carried away. Then at Meadow, you could actually HEAR the swarm above your head.

There is one spot, just before the last turn to Meadow that a sizable Ponderosa has fallen across. You can get around it, but it really needs to be moved. No chainsaw with me this trip. It's about the size of the one we removed a few years ago on the same road, just not quite as far up.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 am

Rubicon_Rider wrote:where is the best place to camp with toy haulers and be able to get to the the Bowman Lake area to ride without taking 49 or 89?

I don't know how big your hauler is, but Bowman Lake Rd can get a little tricky in spots. There are a couple of 15 mph switchbacks that you may have difficulty with depending on size. I have a 35 foot fifth wheel and I would think twice or even three times before heading up there with it.

The road to Meadow is dirt, but a couple of years ago was pretty smooth. I checked out the roughest section (last 1/4 mile to the campground) and even that isn't too bad. It is off 49 though...

If the FS would just let us camp at Jackson Meadow and actually ride thru the campground to get to the hundreds of miles of trails surrounding the area......
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS