Bowman - Faucherie - Celina

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Bowman - Faucherie - Celina

Postby hemingray » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Well, with a chance for some of the snow to melt, I decided to take some time to explore some things I've been wanting to check out for awhile, along with a visit to the jewel of the area, Faucherie Lake.

Signal Peak has a nice dusting - the goat trail has plenty of snow on it! View is from Cisco.

The Bowman Waste Dam is the overflow for Bowman Lake. They've put concrete slabs on things to control the flow and prevent it from scouring the rocks.

I tried walking up the lower road to the dam, but the big building there looks occupied, so I decided to walk to the top of the dam instead. The afterbay from the powerhouse retains water for the Bowman-Spaulding Conduit (the canal you can see from the roadside at Windy Cliffs.)

Though a bit low, Bowman still looks nice.

The original dam was built in 1876 and raised in 1927. The lower block was at the top of the original dam and was moved when they raised it.

The upper lake is really down. The stream running into the lake is from the Milton-Bowman tunnel.

Lake Faucherie has a lot of snow up above!

English Mountain has a dusting on the south slope as well (bet there's a lot on the north side!)

They've got the flow turned up pretty good from Faucherie - this is Canyon Creek just downstream of the dam.

There are a couple of big pools downstream, and there are some big fish in them! I estimated a foot or so.

Some of the shady corners were snow-covered...

The mountains above Faucherie from a nearby meadow.

All the little stream crossings have water in them from the recent rain and snow.

The peaks above Canyon Creek/Bowman from Celina Ridge.

Discovered a few new loops and plowed through a lot of water in the Celina area (that's the big ridge alongside the road to Washington). Nice day, despite the snow on the ground, it got to around 55 degrees.

Here are historical pictures of the dams. This is the waste dam in the 1800's:

My view from the dam shows the same road, but now the afterbay covers where the little bridge is. There is a large building where the small cottage was.

Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Re: Bowman - Faucherie - Celina

Postby EigerMike » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:30 pm

very nice dave! =D>
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:46 pm

very nice, where those fish just down stream after the pipe.. by the 2 camp sites on the creek? Also great photos of the dams, i cant wait to show my dad the pictures. Funny as how you mention the windy cliffs, my father always called that turn out with the big rock on the way in (thats has spray paint all over now :evil: ) windy point, i always assumed it was a made up name :wink:. Its hard to tell whats the truth when your fathers even more sarcastic then yourself...
09 can-am renegade

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:34 am

No, the spot where I took the shot of the fish is just upstream of the 3 pipes where the road goes over it. There's a campground there, and just upstream are two large pools. I think there is also a campground downstream of the pipes too.

The old topo maps all name that area "Windy Point Cliffs" - it's probably the whole area, from the painted rock to where the waste dam is. Must be cool on top (there's a road that goes somewhere along the backside but has a gate (what a surprise)).

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:57 pm

Neat!
hemingray wrote: The Bowman Waste Dam is the overflow for Bowman Lake. They've put concrete slabs on things to control the flow and prevent it from scouring the rocks.

This is the waste dam in the 1800's:
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Is this the same spot?
hemingray wrote: Image

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Yes - but different views. The old pic is looking up the little canyon towards the original dam, my picture is from the dam (which was raised, but is in the same place), looking towards the little canyon (which is now filled with the afterbay). The road in the historic picture from the house is still visible and a much larger building sits where the house sat.

Here's a better view that shows the road. Note the rock wall alongside the road in the historical picture, where it leads towards the dam. In my shot, you can see it down towards the building. NID has several buildings and facilities where the old dam keeper's house was. This is again a view looking from the dam. I'm going to have to see if I can figure a shot looking up to the dam instead - without getting near the facilities there. With a TV antenna and an American flag flying, I think someone lives there (and the access has no trespassing signs, so I have to behave!)

I didn't have the historical pictures along, I'll print them one of these days and try a good imitation.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Gotcha...reverse view.

What I notice? WAY MORE TREES...this OHV recreation is just horrible. :roll:

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director