Logandale, NV to Sand Hollow to 5Mile Pass

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

BruteForce
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Logandale, NV to Sand Hollow to 5Mile Pass

Postby BruteForce » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:02 am

I packed up the 42' Toy Hauler, loaded the ATV, food and guns and took off for Logandale, Nevada.

The weather in Logandale was in the low 70's upon arrival. The area was fairly vacant except for many Big Horn Sheep.

After a few days in Logandale, I drove back north to Sand Hollow State Park. From there, we found a route through Warner Valley, making ~50 mile loop that consisted of sand, rock crawls and old mining trails.

I then returned home to beat the snow storm that was en route for the SL Valley and then went off to the North side of 5Mile Pass. I broke trail on fresh frozen snow and had a blast.

A few photos:

The drive in

Logandale, Nevada

A fine cigar, a real German beer that my mother brought back from Germany and an Asian Pear. Life just doesn't get any better!

Sand Hollow State Park

North side of 5Mile Pass

2013 Sportsman XP 850 (Browning Edition) FI/EPS/LE
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i

Rider has ferocious attitude!

My blog site: http://utahbruteforce.com

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Re: Logandale, NV to Sand Hollow to 5Mile Pass

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:26 am

WoW, did you score a great trip or what? Awesome scenery, perfect temperatures for the desert, good beer and even some mountain snow riding to top it all off. I'm green with envy, yuh bastud! :mrgreen: =D>
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:17 am

very nice. Im actually planing a trip to Logandale NV next month for a rock crawl trip, just trying to finalize my plan's now. Ill have to look into sand hollow area as well looks like. I saw some dunes in your picture's there can you ride on them?
09 can-am renegade

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:38 am

Mr. Green wrote:very nice. Im actually planing a trip to Logandale NV next month for a rock crawl trip, just trying to finalize my plan's now. Ill have to look into sand hollow area as well looks like. I saw some dunes in your picture's there can you ride on them?
I have GPS tracks for the Logandale area. There are some small dunes in the Logandale area, but even better dunes at Sand Hollow about an hour North (on the outskirts of Hurricane, Utah).

auendave

Postby auendave » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:13 pm

nice photos looks like you had a good time, :D
Paynes creek 2013

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby EigerMike » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:45 pm

very nice trip! looks very cold in those last pics! :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:47 pm

Nice trip - a little of everything there from desert-like to snow! Looks like a really fun time!
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:59 am

I HATE YOU! =)
in the good way brute force
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:31 am

BruteForce wrote: I have GPS tracks for the Logandale area. There are some small dunes in the Logandale area, but even better dunes at Sand Hollow about an hour North (on the outskirts of Hurricane, Utah).
nice id love to take a look at them , even though on this ride im lucky enough to have some local guides come along.
09 can-am renegade

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:21 pm

Mr. Green wrote:
BruteForce wrote: I have GPS tracks for the Logandale area. There are some small dunes in the Logandale area, but even better dunes at Sand Hollow about an hour North (on the outskirts of Hurricane, Utah).
nice id love to take a look at them , even though on this ride im lucky enough to have some local guides come along.

Guides are really unnecessary in Logandale. The amount of accessible trails is fairly limited. I'm still trying to find a decent track North to Mesquite from Logandale. I have one mapped, but a few sections are legally sketchy.

Since this site won't allow me to attach the .GDB file, I'll put it on my blog site on Monday.

When are you heading to Logandale?

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:02 pm

BruteForce wrote:
Mr. Green wrote:

Guides are really unnecessary in Logandale. The amount of accessible trails is fairly limited. I'm still trying to find a decent track North to Mesquite from Logandale. I have one mapped, but a few sections are legally sketchy.

Since this site won't allow me to attach the .GDB file, I'll put it on my blog site on Monday.

When are you heading to Logandale?
Im heading out there January 19-23, i dont know any thing about the area expect im spouse to go to the valley of fire and theres spouse to be lots of red rock to crawl on. The video i watched on you tube looks like the area will be fun / challenging for just about any one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m21N9Kn0CU
09 can-am renegade

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:46 am

Simply awesome pictures.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:13 am

Mr. Green wrote:very nice. Im actually planing a trip to Logandale NV next month for a rock crawl trip,
You are one confused young man :lol:

You're going to drive approximately 18 hours, round trip to go "rock crawling" with a sport utility quad? LOL.

You need to accept what you are....and buy a quad for rock crawling...and keep your sporty for the dunes. :lol:
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:22 pm

Ken wrote:
Mr. Green wrote:very nice. Im actually planing a trip to Logandale NV next month for a rock crawl trip,
You are one confused young man :lol:

You're going to drive approximately 18 hours, round trip to go "rock crawling" with a sport utility quad? LOL.

You need to accept what you are....and buy a quad for rock crawling...and keep your sporty for the dunes. :lol:

Confused young man... :oops: cant even commit on that one.

as for driving 18 hours (really like 22-24 but whos counting {apparently this guy}) i can only say im not like most and driving long distance to go do things i want to isn’t an issue for me. I use to drive to SF for clam chowder in high school and now i drive 3+ hours for work most days so I'm use to it, some what.

As for buying a quad for rock's it has crossed my mind numerous times, but my next toy will have 2 wheels im thinking (1100 v-star Yamaha is what has my eye right now) after that i may pick up a quad for rocks for me and for friends to ride trails with me but that's still further down the road then i can plan effectively. I almost got a grizzly so i could have lockers up front /power steering/ racks and so far i haven’t regretted not getting it but i haven’t seen any out on some obstacles.

I can switch my front diff for about 600-700$ then minus what ever I can sell mine for to upgrade to the 2010 visco lok diff that locks up in about ½ wheel turn, but at some point I have to stop throwing money at this thing and call it good. I still want a stm secondary clutch with some quad tech adj weights for my primary clutch before the 2010 diff. Even then it would have to battle my cash over a muzzy exhaust / power commander fuel programer as well.
09 can-am renegade

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Mr. Green wrote:but at some point I have to stop throwing money at this thing and call it good.
What kind of hobby would that be???