Yawn - another boring Bowman Trip!

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Yawn - another boring Bowman Trip!

Postby hemingray » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:36 am

Well, more boring nature photos from another boring Bowman trip. I wanted to check out some more old ditch locales and some stub roads. Fun day, but LOTS of hunters out and about. I was wearing a bright red shirt to be plenty visible!

First, I went up to Grouse Ridge, not having been there for probably 5 years. The view from there is expansive! The Sutter Buttes are out in the valley haze, and the Coast Range is visible beyond.

The lookout is supposedly being refurbished into one of those rent-a-lookout deals. It was built in 1923 and is one of the oldest remaining on the Tahoe NF. It was last used in the 70's.

The stays (anchors that hold the structure against winds) are obviously of old vintage. Look at the craftsmanship!

The outhouse is amazingly placed.

Haystack (I think), Bowman and Red Mountains and the Sierra Buttes beyond.

English Mountain shows its true massive self in this view.

Coming down, I explored some side roads towards Fall Creek. At one point near the Sunflower Mine claim, the road ends with this. Yeah right. The area around here is all decimated by logging (though it's actually a fairly well-managed job). But the wonder of no motor vehicles is somewhat lacking.

Across FR-18 from the Grouse Ridge road is a short road to PG&E Camp 19. It's an old ditch camp, now abandoned. Nothing to write home about - reasonably modern buildings. Just wanted to mention it - not really worth the even short ride unless you want to see the Bowman-Spaulding conduit.

However, I did ride down to the south end of the tunnel that you see when you ride by Windy Cliffs. This is a short ride down a side road. All of the tunnel output spreads out into a pretty wide ditch. There are traces here of the old ditch before the tunnel was built.

The rest of the trip was spent checking out more old historical mining ditches; many have been ruined by logging, turned into short roads etc. Most of these are 1880's vintage works.

Here's one artifact - following what I think is the Milton Ditch I found a smaller and probably older ditch below it. Here, a road filled and crossed it to get to the upper ditch, some 30 feet away.

Coming out by Weaver and McMurray lakes, the sun was getting low and made for a nice view.

Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

auendave
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Re: Yawn - another boring Bowman Trip!

Postby auendave » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:45 am

Nice pics I always enjoy those boring trips to my favorite areas seems I always see something diffrent on each trip :D
Paynes creek 2013

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:33 am

as allways great pics and info !glad your out there riding! :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:06 pm

Yeah..I ride...ooh look, a tree. Hey, there's a nice mountain.

Dave knows the type of tree, who planted it, and on what mountain. :)
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Well, I decided to widen the scope and I will try to get any wrecks I see. But I'm not sure about the guys relieving themselves... ;-) I mean, maybe if I could capture it artistically....
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:27 pm

Ken wrote:Yeah..I ride...ooh look, a tree. Hey, there's a nice mountain.

Dave knows the type of tree, who planted it, and on what mountain. :)
X2
09 can-am renegade

Joeyy
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Joeyy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:53 pm

No yawn from me. Ive been working my out that way from the house. It's all new to me, shoot I've never even been stuck yet. Ha!..
Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.