Another boring Bowman day

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Another boring Bowman day

Postby hemingray » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:30 pm

I found myself in the Bowman Lake area yet again, this time to explore more around Celina Ridge. It divides Canyon Creek, which is the large canyon you drive along when heading to Bowman Lake from SR-20, and Poorman Creek, which the road to Washington goes down. FR-50 circles part of it, and there is a lower road (actually it's an old ditch grade that runs part way around the lower (towards the South Yuba) part. I figured between that and heading around Pinoli Peak it would make for a good afternoon's ride.

The lower part of the 50 road is a smooth ride through some relatively flat area.

Just before you meet the 21 road (Gaston Grade, to Washington) you can turn left onto a road which obviously is an old ditch grade. It runs for a couple of miles nearly level. The road suddenly climbs slightly and you can see the old ditch where the road goes away from it.

Unfortunately, the road ends shortly thereafter at this elaborate gate. The wire at the top is interesting - not sure what it's for. It also would seem to keep the owner out unless they were on a quad or bike. Anyway, 5 different styles of keep out signs! No loop here anyway,

Back around to the Canyon Creek side.

Interesting sight for October! There were tons of bees and butterflies - this most be the only blooming things for miles.

At the same spot, obviously an old blocked road, nicely overgrown.

Continuing around Celina back towards Bowman the area opens out (probably old fire cleared area) and shows the afternoon weather developing.

After the 50 road meets Graniteville Road, a short speed run brings you to the 41 road. The 41 will take you around behind the mountains above Bowman Lake and eventually will meet the 76 road and bring you back to Bowman Lake road just a few miles from Jackson Meadows Reservoir.

Pinoli Peak commands the area, the 41 road descends from here to East Fork Creek (runs lower left to upper right) and then climbs the shoulder and wraps around it to the east. The climb to the top of the west shoulder is a hoot - the last 2 miles is a full-throttle smooth road climb that's a blast. At the top is a side road to the right which leads to the huge log landing visible on the mountain (talk about environmental impact - how could that be allowed?)

On a side spur, this brush with berries was hanging over the path. Not sure if bears like these, they were everywhere and appeared untouched.

A promising road turnes to skid trail at the end.

But the view is nice - this is looking down the Middle Yuba River canyon to the southwest.

For such a high ridge, the trees are surprisingly upright here.

If it had been earlier in the day, it would have been have nice to have lunch here - high on the mountain, but a nice level spot.

A look back shows Quartz Hill, Weaver Lake and in the far distance, Celina Ridge.

Another look at Quartz Hill (which is more like a ridge), I managed to make it part way up there several weeks ago. On the other side is Bowman Lake.

Back to the main road, I love this view of the road coming into a forest of moss-covered trees.

Back down on the 76 road, there's a nice view of English Mountain looking at the rough end above Jackson Lake.

Rolling down Bowman Lake Road towards Jackson Creek Campground, you cross an old ditch. I'm not sure which one this is.

After the teeth-rattling ride along Bowman Lake, at least there was an interesting look with the weather. All the action was over near Truckee and Reno.

On the drive out, the lighting was dramatic along the road near Spaulding. Signal Peak/Red Mountain is barely lit up and Old Man Mountain really stands out at the left.

The weather was so cool as I went east on SR-20 that I got on I-80 east and ended up on Donner Pass. Drove to Truckee, and came up the old road to the pass where the clear skies to the west lit up the effects of the rain to the east. This rainbow was awesome, it was lit like this for a full 180 degrees - and double to boot.

It just kept up - here's a view at Cisco, looking east.

I have never gotten a neat shot like this through the windshield. Unfortunately, there were no spots to pull off and get a good view but this shot near SR-20 was not bad at all.

The final shot of the day is above Emigrant Gap - I could have cropped it, to get rid of the road but I like it as-is.

All in all a fabulous day.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Re: Another boring Bowman day

Postby EigerMike » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:28 pm

great shots!!! keep up the great work! :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:14 pm

As always A+ phots

we took photos right at the same place and your's look so much better :lol:

Clouds / storms / and sunsets are always a awesome site and you manage to capture it so well, im sure being there was even better still though.
09 can-am renegade

BruteForce
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BruteForce » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:18 am

Wow.. Awesome photos!
2013 Sportsman XP 850 (Browning Edition) FI/EPS/LE
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i

Rider has ferocious attitude!

My blog site: http://utahbruteforce.com

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:54 am

LOL Brian, looks like a bit o' dust? I often have to wait for my trailing cloud to settle or be blown off before a snap a shot. Yeah, the skies were awesome - glad I wasted some gas and went up to the summit, it was totally worth it.

Isn't that a great ride?

And thanks, Brute Force! As you can see, I like to get to the top of things...

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:01 am

Did a little research and determined that old water ditch was the Eureka Lake company's - it ran from just below Lake Faucherie down to Blue Tent, some 30 miles. Now I have something else to look for on trips up that way!

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:44 pm

that gate has a ECV sign on it so some club has a Doins there ill see what i can find out. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Clampus_Vitus)

also not sure if you have seen these up in that area

I didnt even notice tell now that double rainbow was over the train tunnels thats makes it even better =D>
09 can-am renegade

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:32 pm

I knew it was a Clampers sign, but I don't know the lingo.

I'll have to look at your pic from home, it's blocked here at work.

Yes, the old #1 track tunnels and snowsheds were in the shot as well. Are you a railfan or have you just ridden through them?

The old Highway 40 bridge near the summit is the Rainbow Bridge, but I could not position myself to get the rainbow on it, there was just no spot. THAT would have made a great one if I could have gotten it.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:30 pm

Hey Brian,

Yes - that would be the beginning of the Milton-Bowman tunnel. I've not been out there exactly, but it's definitely on my list - thanks for the description! I've only driven over there once, in my truck on Henness Pass Road, so I definitely want to visit it and see that bridge too.

If you haven't seen it, the other end of the tunnel you saw comes out at the upper end of Bowman Lake - you ride right over the portal! If you turn for the campground, it's right alongside.

The water leaves Bowman and you see it along Windy Cliffs in a canal into another tunnel, and it goes in both canal and tunnel to Fuller Lake and then to Lake Spaulding via canal and penstock through the Spaulding #3 powerhouse.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:46 pm

I think I'll just start leaving my camera at home to save weight. I could take 1000 photos and I won't end up with one that is as good as your worst. I'm tellin' yuh, you need to quit your day job and become a professional rider/photographer/trail guide author!
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:32 pm

GrizzlyGuy wrote:I think I'll just start leaving my camera at home to save weight. I could take 1000 photos and I won't end up with one that is as good as your worst. I'm tellin' yuh, you need to quit your day job and become a professional rider/photographer/trail guide author!
You and me both....I don't even bother taking "nature" photos....I take the falling down, the got stuck, the taking a pee photos....
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ontherks
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ontherks » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Been on that Milton Bowman tunnel pipe a few times. I alway go by it when I make my loop. That is where I get off Heness Pass Road and cout over to bowman lake road again.
'14 XP4 1k

QMaze
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby QMaze » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:04 pm

Great shots, too me looks like the old gate was destroyed and on the ground at the left. Definitely looks new., cement and all. Keep out or get shot.